Tennessee Rag. Doin' Chet Proud!

Discussion of history's greatest guitar player.

Tennessee Rag. Doin' Chet Proud!

Postby Doug Working » Tue Mar 06, 2018 7:14 pm

I love Y'tube! It's so vast, you just can't ever exhaust it. So I had never seen this young man before, but I think he is sure doin' Chet proud! Makes me want to just hang up my guitar. I'll never be half as good as this kid.

But it makes me feel so good inside that Chet is still influencing the youngest amoung us, when the majority of them are merely making noise.

And his legacy will continue.

https://youtu.be/SVMGNH-Mn08
Doug Working

Re: Tennessee Rag. Doin' Chet Proud!

Postby lakepikr » Thu Mar 08, 2018 11:27 am

Hey Doug .... you probably already know this, but this video has been around for years.
The "teenager" in that video, (now a full grown "man" ) has amazed me for quite a while.

His user name is Mrshazzar, and his first videos were usually of him sitting around in his bed room,
on the side of his bunk beds, playing " Chet music " like a young pro.

He went on to produce some great music, and if I may, I'll recommend watching his You Tube video of "What a Wonderful World" .... on a "Fender" with a thumb pick.

I saved it to my favorites, and play it now and then.
Only problem is ..... at my age I always feel like a "failure" at playing guitar, when I hear what these young guys can do.

Oh well ..... maybe I'll be a world class picker in my next life .....

bill
lakepikr

Postby Doug Working » Sun Mar 11, 2018 12:06 pm

He's all grown up, now? I had no idea! Just discovered the video the other day. Was WAY impressed!

So is he producing records?

And more importantly, does he still play Chet style guitar?
Doug Working

Postby lakepikr » Sun Mar 11, 2018 4:13 pm

Doug, I'm not sure if he has actually recorded, although I wouldn't be surprised to find out he has.

I've (sort of ) watched him grow up, by way of his videos.
If you look at the suggested videos (thumbnails) on the right side of the page while his video is playing, you'll see a lot of the same ones I've watched.
It's enjoyable to watch his expressions, as he's playing, and seeing how much he's in to his music.

I don't even know where he lives ..... possibly Canada, but he'd certainly be a great addition to CAAS if he showed up.

bill
lakepikr

Postby Doug Working » Sun Mar 11, 2018 5:01 pm

I hope he does (attend).

He would be in the finest of company, and his talent would be so at home.

I noticed something that really bothered me in the comments to his videos. Someone ungraciously opined that he should stop imitating Chet and play his own stuff, because no one wants to hear a Chet impersonator.

To that, I humbly reply that we here ALL all impersonators "in a limited sense of the word" of the man from the Clinch mountains. It is the sincerest form of flattery. We don't play Chet's classic arrangements with the strict intent of impersonating him per say, but rather because we ADMIRE him, and we pace the highest value on his genius, which happens to be embodied in his arrangements! And to boot, how can one improve on perfection??

Not only that, but compared to the master, we are all LEARNERS, and how does ANYONE learn without imitating? When I first started in magic, I "impersonated" Doug Henning and some other great magicians of that day. I eventually "found who I was" and was able to branch off and be myself, but EVERYONE has to start somewhere! When I got my first ventriloquist figure, I "impersonated" Paul Winchell and Jimmy Nelson. When I first discovered that I could do voices, I impersonated Mel Blanc and Daws Butler. When I later first picked up a guitar, I imitated Chet, and well, unlike with the magic, I'm still imitating, lol, because their is such a vast amount to learn. But to reiterate, EVERYONE HAS TO START SOMEWHERE, so why not imitate the best? And why criticize someone, ESPECIALLY a young person for TRYING??

If that ungracious comment were true; if it held any water, then there would be no Ray Cumins, there would have been no Claes Neeb, there would be no Rick Allred, and the list could go on and on to include the many, many Chet style players who grace us with their talent.

And more profound it, when you come right down to it, it's not really impersonation or imitation. It's actually EMULATION. And that, my friends, can not be bad!

Just had to get that off my chest.
Doug Working

Return to Mister Guitar, Chet Atkins