Chet's Red, White and Blue Medley

Discussion of history's greatest guitar player.

Chet's Red, White and Blue Medley

Postby Doug Working » Sun Feb 04, 2018 7:34 pm

I suppose most of the people here on the board have probably (like me) heard all of Chet's cuts.

But maybe for new guys, people who are just discovering Chet and his music, all of it may be new!

Being a vet, nothing is sweeter to my ears than patriotic tunes. Chet recorded this (if I'm not mistaken) on 45, (please correct me if I'm wrong) so just listening to his albums, one would never hear it!

He also cut some 45's with Hank Snow, and you don't get to hear those often, either.

Anyways, "Red White And Blue Medley", in my opinion, is Chet at his finest, taking the themes from each one of the armed services branch, (I was in the Air Force) and just adding his great touch to make them FABULOUS, as only Chet could do.

I posted this on Y'tube, years back, but I am feeling such patriotism in my veins today as I think of the great country I am privileged to live in (and as I watch the Super Bowl, btw!) that I just HAD to post it!

https://youtu.be/HrCbkVLaDs4

Doug
Last edited by Doug Working on Tue Feb 06, 2018 7:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Doug Working

Re: Chet's Red, White and Blue Melody

Postby Norm » Mon Feb 05, 2018 11:50 pm

hate to sound like a spelling troll but playing a series of songs of a similar genre (patriotic in this case) is a "medley"

a "melody" is the thread of the tune...how a single song goes.
...that's how it looks to me...The opinion expressed above is my own and does not necessarily reflect the views of this station. Your mileage may vary...

Audio samples: http://www.youtube.com/user/acountrygent/videos
That should do it.
Norm

Re: Chet's Red, White and Blue Melody

Postby Doug Working » Tue Feb 06, 2018 7:16 pm

You are correct, and I stand corrected! Thank you for pointing it out.

I know better than that, and I usually never get the two confused. I think I just had an off day. Was probably in a rush, too. Won't hurt to admit that I had a bit of a brain fart, too.

Thank-you, and I'll go back and correct my mistake.

Doug
Doug Working

Re: Chet's Red, White and Blue Medley

Postby DagerRande » Tue Feb 06, 2018 9:45 pm

Doug, you should use more cultured terms. You should say that you experienced "cerebral flatulence"!
Rande Dager

We are all capable of doing more than we think we can!
DagerRande

Postby Ray Bohlken » Wed Feb 07, 2018 4:21 pm

"cerebral flatulence" could be the lyrics to a new era country song. Good one, Rande.
Ray Bohlken

Postby lakepikr » Wed Feb 07, 2018 5:09 pm

Yeah Ray,
It would probably be played with a lot of A minor 7th's and a lot of "base". :D

bill
lakepikr

Postby DagerRande » Wed Feb 07, 2018 7:34 pm

Ray, my suggested title could be on the flipside of "Nervous Breakdown". One may cause the other!
Rande Dager

We are all capable of doing more than we think we can!
DagerRande

Postby rhirvine » Wed Feb 07, 2018 9:10 pm

I'd never heard this medley before. Thanks for posting it Doug. I had never heard Chet, in one portion of the medley, play in the style of Duane Eddy. It was so cool!
rhirvine

Postby Doug Working » Thu Feb 08, 2018 6:39 pm

"Cerebral flatulence!" I like the sound of that! I think I'll adopt the term for my daily use! Much obliged to ya'!

Ever heard of logodaedaly? It means the arbitrary or capricious coinage of words, for which you, my friend, seem to have a penchant!

Anyway, if one person just heard the Chet tune who had not heard it before, then I say mission accomplished. I'm happy. It's one of my favorites. I listen to it all the time when I'm in a patriotic mood, which is just about all the time.

As I said, I believe Chet released this one on 45. If memory serves.

And I believe he did a bang-up job. The tune is a real humdinger. In all my life, I have never heard any guitar player with such a way with medlies. Chet had a way of blending then together "just right'" He was able to segue from one tune to the next just as smooth as melted butter.

This medley just TRULY stirs up the red, white and blue in me like nothing else I've ever heard, except maybe Johny Cash's "Ragged Ol' Flag", which I think I may have possibly posted on my Chet channel. I don't remember.

And as for Duane Eddy, I think Chet did a little bit of that on one of his duet albums with Les Paul. Or was it Les???

Doug
Doug Working

Postby rhirvine » Thu Feb 08, 2018 8:22 pm

I'd like to learn to play "It's a Grand Old Flag" which is at the start of the medley. It seems to be in the key of "D" but I'm wondering if Chet capoed it from "C" to "D"? Some of you guys probably know and I'd be beholden to you if you can tell the rest of us. I don't think Chet ever, ever speeded up a recording to a faster clip thus producing a higher key ( C to D). Thanks in advance.

Rich Irvine
rhirvine

Next

Return to Mister Guitar, Chet Atkins