Joint care and fending off "Arthur"

Discussion of history's greatest guitar player.

Joint care and fending off "Arthur"

Postby Doug Working » Sat Jan 27, 2018 7:48 pm

Now that my left arm is starting to show some signs of healing, and I'm actually thinking about playing again, the whole thing got me to pondering: What if this heals, but I get some other joint condition down the road, such as "Arthur", as my mom calls it? Then I'd be in an even worse boat!

But I'm a pro-active person, and I believe a lot of diseases (especially what are called the "lifestyle diseases", can be prevented if we are careful and thoughtful about our dietary choices and sedulous in applying it.

Arthritis would be a disaster for a guitarist! Or even a pianist!

But there are nutritional supplements on the market. Scads of them. Decisions, decisions, decisions!!!

Anybody here have any good information on products that actually WORK for keeping the joints (and especially the fingers) young and supple?

I'm starting lately to make a daily health smoothie in the mornings. The first ingredients are collagen and gelatin. I'm led to believe that these are both good for the joints (and also hair, skin and nails), but I wonder if anybody here has any thoughts or information on the subject?

Doug
Doug Working

Re: Joint care and fending off "Arthur"

Postby bill raymond » Sun Jan 28, 2018 5:12 pm

Doug, most of these "supplements" are useless. You would be better seeking sound medical advice than all this snake oil that people want to sell you. They're preying on your hopes, not on your sense of reality.
bill raymond

Postby rhirvine » Sun Jan 28, 2018 6:18 pm

Hi Doug. Sorry to hear about your arm injury. what happened? As far as "Arthur" well I play with arthritic abandon as it is so I'm not worried about it affecting my playing :lol:
rhirvine

Postby Doug Working » Mon Jan 29, 2018 8:49 am

It's kind of a long story, but basically I injured it taking my blood pressure at a self service kiosk. The thing squeezed my arm like a python! They say these things can not injure you? Boy, don't you believe it! Weeks later, and I'm still feeling it.

I looked it up, and it's called a crushing injury. Probably damaged a nerve. It s slooooooooooooooooly healing. We're talking weeks.
Doug Working

Postby Pickin Palmer » Mon Jan 29, 2018 1:21 pm

Good topic, Doug - and, every "older" guitarist's current situation, or fear. I've had "Arthur" in pretty much every joint of my body for years - except (believe it or not) my fingers!! I've never seen a doctor specifically about Arthur, but I have mentioned my plight on an annual physical or two - asking for a general acceptance of my theory that it's not in my fingers because I play guitar a LOT over the years. The reply from my doc usually is, "Well....ah....sure..." LOL I don't care what he thinks actually - it's NOT in my fingers and I'm stickin' with my theory.

Supplements?

Yes, I pretty much agree with the premise that most supplements are just hype - HOWEVER, with that said - and, the fact that they have shown me my Arthur in my knees on scans they did looking for "bad hips" and "bad knees" - which I didn't have BUT Arthur was there!! I take Glucosamine and Turmeric...for my knees. I'm a very lucky healthy old fart and I play aggressive pickleball (new sport - lots of running) 5 mornings a week - and, the Arthur in my knees makes them VERY SORE - sometimes border line unusable. About 5 years ago I started wearing knee braces - not the ones with metal sides - the ones that just squeeze the devil out of my knees. They did seem to be working - some. Then, somebody told me about Glucosaime w/ turmeric - so, I started taking them. Oh, my knees still hurt - still very sore most of the time - but, never even come close to locking up. And, I don't have to wear my knee braces, anymore...

Psycho "ceramic"? Dunno - don't care - I "think" it werks fer me!!!! My point - why not fingers???

Palmer
Pickin Palmer

Postby kwarren » Mon Jan 29, 2018 1:59 pm

I suffer from joint pain in the shoulders, elbows, knees and hips. My body usually responds to nothing but Glucosamine Chondroitin with MSM did give me some relief (no more pain in my elbows and noticeable relief in my other joints). My family doctor told me that recent studies are showing proof that Glucosamine Chondroitin DOES help with join pain. You do have to take it for a few months to let it build up in your system. I more recently started taking Turmeric and was surprised to find that it reduces my joint pain even more! Everyone responds differently to these things. All I can say is these two supplements work for me. :D
kwarren

Postby Pickin Palmer » Tue Jan 30, 2018 9:30 am

Sooooo, I guess I'm not being psycho "ceramic"?? Thanks for the endorsement, Kirk. I had found the Glucosamine Chondroitin with MSM AND turmeric in one tablet. But, my supplier stopped making them together. So, I now buy the turmeric in separate tabs... Werks for me...
Pickin Palmer

Postby BillB » Tue Jan 30, 2018 9:50 am

I've been taking Glucosimine/Chondroitin/MSM for several years. The last time I ran out, it was over a week before I was able to purchase more. I thought it was the weather making my joints hurt, but then I realized how long I'd gone without the pills. I wasn't even sure that they worked up until then, but as mentioned, they do lessen the joint pain. I may have to try the Tumeric as well.

Bill B.
BillB

Postby Doug Working » Tue Jan 30, 2018 7:29 pm

Good answers. I study health ALOT. Intensely, for sure. When I hit my 60's it HIT me like a ton of proverbial bricks: The 60's are generally the decade when the "lifestyle diseases" begin to show up in a man's body. (I don't have to name them. We all know what they are.)

Anyway. I had payed attention to my health moderately over the decades. Never smoked or drank. Never did drugs. (and as I said in another post, I owe that to Chet.) anyway, I've raised my family. Am now pawpaw to several beautiful grand-kids. But as I said, the dawning of my 60'th b'day set a lightbulb over my head. I thought "Urgent!!! Earh calling Doug! Earth calling Doug! You had REALLY better get on the stick, or you are going to be very, very sorry not to far from now!" My dad had clogged arteries, heart disease, diabetes and died a miserable painful death. That is a big wake up call SCREAMING in my ears! (genetics!) The word that burned into my head was PROACTIVE.

So I have upped my study and my regime exponentially. I want to tell you, I am INTENSE! I wear out the Google button researchimg articles on health and fending off disease. I don't know it all. Never will. But I have certainly given myself an education and gleaned a lot of nuggets of knowledge. Between you guys and me, I told the LORD, actually I promised Him that if He shows me these secrets to health, if he "opens them up to me", that I will share them with ANYBODY who truly wants to know the sccrets of staying healthy, vital and young-like. And that is a "covenant." I will keep that promise. My life is ABOUT HELPING PEOPLE. And it's about keeping my promises to Him. I'm not a doctor. Don't pretend to have the credentials to write books, but I can sure share whatever I learn. I have TOTALLY revamped my dietary habits. I have a protocol of food and supplements that I am doing faithfully. I told my brother today that the body is analogous to a car. You are very careful what oil you put in your engine, but you shove ANYTHING into your temple...or rather, your body. But the body is an ingenious machine, also. You wouldn't put sewage in your crankcase and expect it to purr like a kitten when the manual calls for 10W30 oil. See, he too has hit his sixties I think I succeeded in opening up his eyes a bit. He could only agree with me.

Another reason I have been starting to look into "Arther" is to help my mom. She is pretty much married to him. She's in her 80's, and I am her care-taker. So it's not only for myself to keep supple as a guitar player, but to possibly help mom

I appreciate the testimonials about glucosamine and condroiton. That gives me a little more confidence to try it, as I have indeed heard things about it.

I think it's amazing that Arthur has avoided making his home in your hands! Perhaps that is good news to all who exercise their hands daily on a fretboard! Still, whatever herbs or supplements we can keep in our armamentarium, the better chance we have. Sounds like your doctor was totally nonplussed!!! That tickles me!

Anyway, as I said originally, keeping arthritis at bay is crucial for guitarists.Too my knowledge Chet never suffered with it, right? (I hope that's not a wrong question to ask.) I am extremely open minded to learn from you guys and from anybody who can help me fill in pieces of the puzzle. Especially the puzzle of a good protocol to keep the joints young.

Doug
Doug Working

Postby Ray Bohlken » Wed Jan 31, 2018 12:03 pm

Another helpful thing for joints is exercise. I found this video of Gentle Yoga in the chair. It is not done by young sculpted gym people, but normal folks like us..at least it seems that way to me. I do this set a couple of times a week and it seems to allow my joints to work a little easier and my hands are kind of ache free for awhile and more flexible, too. It would be worth a try to see if it would help some of you. It's about a 25 minute session and i always feel better afterward.
Ray

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G8BsLlPE1m4&t=13s
Ray Bohlken

Next

Return to Mister Guitar, Chet Atkins