Chet's tremolo on record

Discussion of history's greatest guitar player.

Chet's tremolo on record

Postby the-ocean87 » Mon Jan 22, 2018 1:23 pm

Hi,

while listenig to "Waltz in A Flat" I thought about what the 1st recording is where Chet plays a classical tremolo.
Is there anything earlier than the Waltz, which was recorded in 1956? Tremolo starts at 1:11 in the youtube link:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WwFhGx0omL8

Apart from this recording, I know the following songs that included the tremolo technique:

-Malaguena (1967 version)
-Recuerdos de la Alhambra
-Misionera (live only)
-Somewhere my love

Are there more tunes that include the tremolo that Chet recorded or played live?

"Alhambra" was a regular number in his repertoire between the late 60's and late 70's. In the later days he didn't play "Alhambra" anymore. The last live version I know is the Austin City Limits version from 1978, where his tremolo sounded a bit sloppy. I think he didn't practice that technique anymore after that?
the-ocean87

Re: Chet's tremolo on record

Postby Doug Working » Mon Jan 22, 2018 7:00 pm

Ahhhhhhhh! The tremolo! The Holy Grail of technique, for little me at least, lol.

Others have criticized Chet's tremolo, but I'll bet they couldn't do it any better!!

Brings to mind Liona Boyd. The beautiful lady practiced her tremolo so much (probably in the billions of times, I would guess) to the place where it developed a rare medical condition in her brain that wore out the neurons that control the technique. That is sad, and so tragic because Leona had a beautiful tremolo technique. But she just can't do it anymore.

Chet's tone in that recording, btw, is to die for.

Doug

Oh! As far as Chet's tremolo, let's not forget "Over The Rainbow" for his "Goes To The Movies Album."
Doug Working

Return to Mister Guitar, Chet Atkins