Chet's right hand pattern on his scales

Discussion of history's greatest guitar player.

Re: Chet's right hand pattern on his scales

Postby rhirvine » Mon Jan 08, 2018 12:46 pm

Loved those links! Thanks. I always liked that "Walkin' the Strings" fast and moving chords lick that Chet and Merle both did so well. I figured it out on my own so I probably only approximate it. I'm sure having seen Merle Travis play once in Santa Monica that he only used thumb and index finger of his right hand. It looked like Buster was using thumb and index finger during that lick in "Alabama Jubilee". I don't know how Chet used his right hand on that lick. I used to be able to play my take on that lick almost as fast as Travis. But not anymore, that's for sure! :cry: there is probably a way to bring the right hand middle finger into it to increase speed but I never had much facility with that.
rhirvine

Re: Chet's right hand pattern on his scales

Postby Doug Working » Mon Jan 08, 2018 7:41 pm

I really loved that video, and was happy to see Chet at one point play a bunch of eighth notes using one finger and no alteration. That was great, because basically, Chet could do whatever he felt like, technique wise, and it always worked, always sounded great. The classical purists (and trust me they are ALLpurists) would CRINGE and throw a sh____ fit! If you don't do it the (ahem) "correct way", these guys bring out their "superior" badges, and turn their nose up at you! It makes me sick!

But Chet did it his way, answered to no one, and he just seemed to have an uncanny knack or sense of what the passage required. No b.s., no farting around. Just PLAY THE DAMN THING!

I may have mentioned it previously, but he said the public didn't give a hoot about technique, they only wanted to hear good music.

But me? I'm no Chet! I got to have SOME kind of technique to play well, which is why I started this thread, because I know I have a loooooooong way to go on the instrument till I can play "decent." So I'm seeking out the way the master did it, because that is the BEST place to start. Sure am glad you stagers are willing to put up with me. Only stupid question is the one that you don't ask, they say.

Doug
Doug Working

Previous

Return to Mister Guitar, Chet Atkins