The Grodin midi interface

Discussion of history's greatest guitar player.

The Grodin midi interface

Postby rhirvine » Fri Dec 29, 2017 9:51 pm

I think I've probably asked this before probably of Rande Dager who owns a Grodin guitar, but does the midi output allow one to make it sound like Chet's octobass? Also do they have a model that has a classical guitar neck? You know, two inches wide at the nut. I've found that I play better on a Yahama Classic guitar that my son gave me than I can on my Ovation nylon strung guitar with a 1 7/8 inch neck (go figure). I do want more frets than a true classic guitar allows me and I'm willing to give up the 'choke chords' of my beloved Merle Travis's songs as well as a lot of Chet's tunes (I don't think that Merle Travis ever played a barre chord in his life). I'm supposing that some Grodin neo classic model offers a true classical guitar's neck and string spacing with more high notes available which I would like. Thanks for any advice in advance. As far as the octobass thing, I've always wanted to play some of Chet's music using that instrument.
rhirvine

Re: The Grodin midi interface

Postby Roger Pratt » Sat Dec 30, 2017 12:22 am

Hi Rich.....I have owned a Godin guitar for many years now and if it has the "Octabass" capability, I am not aware of it. I use a Roland GR30 for my synthesizer and I have never run across a setting on there for that sound. I do know that Godin makes a 2" classical neck. The guitar that Buster B. Jones played was a classic width I think.
Roger Pratt

Postby rhirvine » Sat Dec 30, 2017 6:09 pm

Thanks for the information Roger. I was thinking that using the midi interface each string would be separate somehow and then a synth could make the E and A strings one octave lower. I guess not.

Rich Irvine
rhirvine

Postby DagerRande » Sun Dec 31, 2017 8:47 pm

Rich, first of all, there is no "r" in Godin. The sounds that you can achieve do not come from the guitar. The guitar is only a midi controller which has to be connected to a midi unit like the Roland GR-30, which has now been replaced with newer models. That controls the sound. I'm not sure about Chet's "octa-bass" sound but there are various bass options. I don't know about coordinating with it in the same way that Chet does with using 3 bass guitar strings. I also don't think that the Godin Multiac assigns separate midi sounds to each string.
Rande Dager

We are all capable of doing more than we think we can!
DagerRande

Postby rhirvine » Mon Jan 01, 2018 3:30 pm

Thanks for the correction on the Goden guitar manufacturer name. I don't know how I ever got that other name (Grodin) in my head. Also I thought that Chet's octo bass only involved the E and A strings not the E A and D strings. I never knew. Thanks for the information. It's all grist for the mill!
rhirvine

Postby DagerRande » Tue Jan 02, 2018 7:07 pm

Sorry Rich, that was a mistake on my part. You are correct that he only replaced the bottom 2 strings with bass strings. I did that once for awhile years ago but you sort of need 2 guitars where one is devoted to that. It's annoying to be stuck with it when you want to play other things!
Rande Dager

We are all capable of doing more than we think we can!
DagerRande

Return to Mister Guitar, Chet Atkins