M Nail Magic product report

Discussion of history's greatest guitar player.

Re: M Nail Magic product report

Postby Len R » Tue Jan 09, 2018 9:04 pm

Yes, Randy that's me. Maybe next CAAS we can pick together a bit.
Len R

Postby DagerRande » Sat Jan 13, 2018 12:20 am

I would like that, Len. I remember you showing up all over the place with your camera equipment. You seemed to be a very dedicated "convention capturer". I'm sure I'd enjoy sitting down with you. My goal for some time has been to actually perform there, but that has been very elusive over the past 26 or 27 years that I've been attending. You pretty much need an agent or someone to promote you like I've seen happen for a few others. If I can get a decent sound in my recordings, I may use YouTube as my platform like I've seen people like Kaitlyn Prieboy do. She was on stage after only a few months on YouTube.
Rande Dager

We are all capable of doing more than we think we can!
DagerRande

Postby Roger Pratt » Sat Jan 13, 2018 1:22 pm

Rande I think that if you begin by performing in the Belmont room and the Wallace room and at open mic you would be soon asked to play on the two main stages if they heard you play. Unless you are a name performer or you have been performing at CAAS for years, you have to be heard to get on stage. Put yourself out there to be seen and heard. You don't need recording equipment for that. Go for it!!!
Roger Pratt

Postby Len R » Fri Jan 19, 2018 5:28 pm

Rande, yes, for a number of years I've been recording CAAS performances with a quality video camera on a tripod that's taller than me :shock: Kind of hard to miss. I've only posted a small percentage of what I've recorded because the processing is so labor intensive, but if you want to browse the postings my youtube channel is LMRMAX. I've posted a few recordings of my own playing on youtube, but I get to record as many takes as required to get it right. Not an option when performing live :roll: I would recommend trying to record yourself for youtube, it forces you to play better....

Len
Len R

Postby DagerRande » Fri Jan 19, 2018 6:07 pm

Len, many people here know that it has been my goal for some time to record myself. YouTube opens up many possibilities for exposure. I may be a perfectionist but I haven't liked anything that I've recorded of myself. I suspect that I wouldn't get near the criticism that I've anticipated.

Roger, here's my problem with the open mic. Have you listened to the talk outside the room when it's going on? It may have been coincidence but a few years back I heard various comments by critical people standing outside who ridiculed the open mic people and felt that only their friends and supporters would be in the room to listen to them. The implication was that they weren't important and that it was just a little club of amateurs who were all patting each other on their backs and that it was good to get them all out of the way early to make room for the "real" guitarists who people wanted to hear. So this amateur and demeaning attitude has turned me off ever since. I think that YouTube videos are my only chance. That's how Kaitlyn Prieboy did it. I'm not a "me too" guitarist who is into joining 100 others in playing "I'll See You in My Dreams". I only have 14 months before I turn 70 and I want to leave behind a legacy of my arrangements and originals. I'm much more of a "guitar thinker" than I am a guitar player (I'm sure you've heard that before) but playing it myself is probably the only way that I'll get it all out there.
Rande Dager

DagerRande

Postby Roger Pratt » Sat Jan 20, 2018 12:27 am

Rande.......I'm not calling you a liar by any means but in all the years I visited the room and it was many years dating all the way back to Paltalk and that was as basic as you get, I never once saw anyone getting demeaned or made fun of. Not one time Rande!! It just simply was not that kind of deal and I will never believe that happened. I'd like to hear from some of the other pickers that visited over the years and see if they experienced anything like that. A debt of gratitude is owed to the people that made that room possible. First and foremost is Larry Simpson who at his own personal cost has provided the room to us for many years. There was Len Collins, Ken Goddard, Dale Crabtree and some others that have pitched in over the years to make this room go. Attendance has waned in the past few years due to several pickers passing away and the rest of us getting older.
Roger Pratt

Postby DagerRande » Sat Jan 20, 2018 5:21 pm

Roger, for the sake of people here who have been following this thread, I wanted to respond and clarify a few things. The "meat" of my response will be outside this board. I think you and I may be talking about two different things. I too am grateful to the people who have set everything up and those behind the scenes who have put in all of their time and hard work. I was talking about a few seemingly impatient people standing outside the doors of the main stage as I was considering participating. It may have just been a fluke and not reflective of attitudes as a whole toward open mic performers. I was just turned off and that's not how I wanted to start off my exposure.
Rande Dager

DagerRande

Postby Len R » Mon Jan 22, 2018 8:33 pm

Randy, one option would be for you to record your playing and post it to youtube as unlisted, and then send a link to friends and folks who you feel comfortable with, to provide encouragement and suggestions. At any time, if you like, you could decide to make the post publicly available, or re-record it until you are satisfied.

Len
Len R

Postby DagerRande » Mon Jan 22, 2018 11:44 pm

Len, one thing I’ve learned is that once a first impression is formed it’s very difficult to change that impression later. People have known who I am for at least 20 years and I’m not known to be anything much beyond a spectator by most of them. So I feel obligated to make a video of myself with no anonymity. There are others who “came on the scene” as already being accomplished. I know I’ll have my work cut out for me but, though I’m not a good self-promoter, nobody else is going to do it for me so I may have to forgo the idea of perfection and just do what I can. I appreciate you and Roger for being supportive.
Rande Dager

DagerRande

Postby Len R » Tue Jan 23, 2018 10:10 pm

What ever you decide, Rande, I look forward to hearing your arrangements!
Len R

PreviousNext

Return to Mister Guitar, Chet Atkins