M Nail Magic product report

Discussion of history's greatest guitar player.

Re: M Nail Magic product report

Postby Ray Bohlken » Wed Jan 24, 2018 11:41 am

Rande, I look forward to hearing your arrangements, too. I'm telling you that I started having problems with my hands when I got into my early 70's. That, plus some minor hearing loss really impacted my playing and I wasn't all that great to begin with. Don't wait too long.
Take care,
ray
Ray Bohlken

Postby lakepikr » Wed Jan 24, 2018 3:52 pm

Hi All. I've been following this thread, first of all, because it started out talking about "nails" ... it's obvious from all the input, a lot of us are looking for help with "nails".
However at some point, the thread started leaning toward another subject close to my heart.

A note to Rande:
I very much share your feelings about playing in front of others, and the comments people come off with.

Five years ago, as a "beginning guitar player",at age 72, and a self admitted "thin skinned guy" , I was trying my best to "fit in" with a jam group ,
I allowed two very "loud" comments from one person, to bring my playing to a slow downward spiral.
To the point that playing in front of "anyone" became a heart pounding, mind going totally blank, not enjoyable, experience.
Over time, that has reduced my love of guitar playing, and the Chet music, (as I call it ) which I love, to sitting in front of my computer, playing along with YouTube videos.

Those comments were made to me in front of approximately 20 people. Apparently, he (the comment-er/ person in charge) thought I was playing too loud when trying to accompany another player. My name was called and a "VERY" stern look given, for all to see.
I haven't been back to that place, or any other place, to play again. I did visit once, to listen to other's play, but knew better than to take my guitar, and think it would work this time.
I know there are "arm chair quarterbacks" saying "get back out there, and don't let those comments bother you".

So easily said.

bill
lakepikr

Postby DagerRande » Wed Jan 24, 2018 8:51 pm

"LakePikr", I need to clarify what I was saying. For me it wasn't about playing in front of people. I've been doing that for years and was the primary guitarist for Jan Rooney (Wife if Mickey) for 2 years in L.A. My comment had nothing to do with people in the audience inside. I was referring to the attitudes expressed by bystanders outside those doors who didn't want to go inside. Playing in front of people isn't my issue.
Rande Dager

We are all capable of doing more than we think we can!
DagerRande

Postby lakepikr » Thu Jan 25, 2018 10:28 am

Hi Rande.

The point of my posting, wasn't really meant to be about being afraid to play in front of people, although in re-reading it I can see it sounded like it.

My mistake.

In reading your response, I guess I remembered you posting a couple times that you needed to take medicine, apparently to calm nerves, prior to playing in public.
I somehow mis-interpreted that to mean experiencing the same jitters I do, and I related to it.

Sorry for that error.too.

At the same time I related to you mentioning the comments being made outside the room where the open mic was taking place, and how the "amateur and demeaning attitude" turned you off. (your words)

My point: "Comments" people make will change what we do. and I was just trying to say that, however "failingly".
Critical comments ( fueled by "ego" ) especially made in front of others, do a lot of damage.
I guess we can all relate to that.

bill
lakepikr

Postby DagerRande » Thu Jan 25, 2018 3:28 pm

Hi Bill,

I guess I made an error too. I was focusing more on the "performance density" and the high number of times I've performed publicly over the years rather than the "fear" aspect. There are a number of performers who have done it a lot and continue to be "afraid" every time they go out on stage and I'm one of those. Yes I take a beta-blocker to calm me but my fear isn't about lack of competency or feeling unworthy to share with others. I shouldn't have said that I'm not afraid but it isn't typical fear. It is a programmed fear from my childhood where I was scolded any time I looked like I was taking in any praise from the audience. It all started in church and my mother went to great lengths to let me know that what I'm doing is honoring God and that I should never act on stage like I'm '"something special" and am drawing attention and praise to myself. So I've carried that with me all of my life. There are two important people who I very much relate to. One is Jerry Reed when he says "I'm more of a guitar thinker than I am a guitar player" and Paul Yandell's "sideman mentality" where he was always happy being "second to the best". I much prefer the spotlight to be on someone else but yet I like to know that I'm an important contributor to the overall sound. I like to come up with neat arrangements and original songs at times but the only way for others to hear those is for me to do them myself. So instead of being "afraid" I'm more apprehentious and the beta blocker neutralizes that initial uneasy feeling. It's complicated.........lol
Rande Dager

DagerRande

Postby Doug Working » Thu Jan 25, 2018 7:42 pm

Hey Rande,

I can relate to that. My church is really big on "not being big." I'm referring to humility. My pastor teaches about it a lot. On "not drawing attention to yourself" in vein of taking glory when that glory is only due to God. In other words, not taking God's glory.

Wr do a lavish Easter drama annually. I play Pontius Pilate. But our director ALWAYS emphasizes that none of us are the "star of the show", but it is all for the LORD. We do not get the glory.

Then I have a good friend in the church who is a few years older than me. Me and him worked really, really hard on renovating a house next to the church (vinyl siding, installing new windows, floors, roofing ceilings, you name it.) We are renovating it so that the kids in Sunday school will have a beautiful place, as they are literally bursting at the seams in the current facility. So they need something more capacious. Anyway, Bill always, ALWAYS tells me. "I don't want any credit. I don't want them making a big announcement that I did this. I am only doing it for Jesus."

And he truly means it!

Ever hear of Rich Mullins? He HATED the applause. He didn't really want it. He shunned it. Left the stage before the applause. His whole thing was "All the glory should go to God."

So you're on the right track.

Only one small problem. If we play guitar before a crowd, or even if I perform a magic show, well, the truth is we are ENTERTAINERS! And entertainers get applause. It's what we do. And audiences love to applaud, if we have done a good job.

Sure would Ike to hear your further thoughts.
Doug Working

Postby DagerRande » Thu Jan 25, 2018 11:00 pm

Doug, I'm more of a sharer of musical ideas than I am an entertainer. I would like to feel free to open up more personality-wise on stage because I think the audience would like it more, but unfortunately the way I was programmed in my church performances has carried over into situations where I have no reason to be overly humble but I can't seem to change that after all of these years. So people can get just as much out of it as if they were blind or had paper bags over their heads. Have you ever seen Richard Smith in his earlier years when he was with his brothers? Comparing him then to now is like night and day. When Chet was at the end of his days here on Earth, I quite attending the CAAS convention in 2000. Once I was persuaded to start attending again in 2008, I saw Richard and could hardly believe it! He had learned the art of performance. If you've only seen him in recent years, you would never know he had been so much like a statue for so many years!
Rande Dager

DagerRande

Postby Doug Working » Sat Jan 27, 2018 7:22 pm

I haven't seen the videos you mentioned, but I sure would like to. Any links available? The only video I remember of him as a young boy was when he played "Little Rock Getaway." With Chet.

I think I've loosened up a lot over the years, myself. Part of it is just having been in stage so much. I really have to say it's in my blood. I'm a natural ham.

But I've performed hundreds of magic shows, talent contests, done a lot of acting in theatre, so over the years I have (not to be cliche) "found myself." My first magic performances were a spectacular DISASTER!!!

But if my guitar playing ever picks up, if my arm totally heals and I get to perform for the public, I think I am really going to do my best to make it FUN for the audience.

There is a girl on Y'tube who plays guitar....I wish I could remember her name. Anyway, this young lady not only plays great, but she does it while flashing the biggest, sunshiniest smile you ever did see.

It makes a difference!!

On the other hand, I play a lot of classical, and we classical guitarists are supposed to be "staid and serious", lol! Stiff as a starched two dollar shirt!

Except if you happen to be Julian Bream! He really puts on a SHOW!!

Shoot, for that matter, Chet did too! I always loved Chet's dry sense of humor.
Doug Working

Previous

Return to Mister Guitar, Chet Atkins