Lots and lots of friends for Mr Guitar

Discussion of history's greatest guitar player.

Lots and lots of friends for Mr Guitar

Postby Doug Working » Sat Dec 16, 2017 9:51 pm

From all the eeadimg I've done about Chet, Mr Guitar had tons of friends. Probably more than we can imagine. I've always admired classical guitarist Christopher Parkening. Got lots of his recordings and transcriptiins. (Knucklebusters!) I understand that even he was friends with Chet. Looks like Chet had him over to his house. In his recording studio. Country and classical come together! Wonderful!

Rick Foster is another fabulous classical style player (arranged classic gospel hymns) that Chet was good friends with. In fact, Foster arranged "Just As I Am" friom Chet's ""Alone" album.

I wander which other guitarists Chet was friends with that may not be well known? We all know about Jerry, but I wonder which ones were not in the mainstream that we rarely here anecdotes about.

Doug
Doug Working

Re: Lots and lots of friends for Mr Guitar

Postby DagerRande » Sat Dec 16, 2017 10:12 pm

Doug, it's interesting that you mentioned Rick Foster. When I lived in Sacramento, CA I had done an arrangement of "Precious Lord Take My Hand" and Rick spent an evening at my place learning my arrangement. I have no formal training and don't read music but I trusted him as he wrote it all down while I played it.
Rande Dager

We are all capable of doing more than we think we can!
DagerRande

Postby Doug Working » Sun Dec 17, 2017 12:24 pm

You got to meet Rick? Wow! That must have been so awesome!

Did you get to hear him play some arrangements?

Doug
Doug Working

Postby DagerRande » Sun Dec 17, 2017 8:37 pm

Doug, yes Rick and I got together several times. He always remembered me as the one who taught him my arrangement of "Precious Lord". He told me that he worked in his garden 6 hours each day and then practiced his guitar the other 6.The one thing about him that kept me from getting too excited is that he never used complex chords. I'm am a HUGE harmony person and his arrangements were sort of "sterile". He was very accurate and controlled though.
Rande Dager

DagerRande

Postby rhirvine » Mon Dec 18, 2017 7:47 pm

Rick Foster did a concert at my church, Valley Bible Community Church probably 15 or so years ago and I got to meet him. A good Christian and fine guitar player. He was a very approachable and nice fellow. Hey Rande, I doubt if he would want any of my personal arrangements of any songs. Good for you.

Rich Irvine
rhirvine

Postby Doug Working » Mon Dec 18, 2017 8:08 pm

Rande,

I know what you are saying about Rick's arrangements. I have several of his albums on cassette, and the corresponding transcription books. I've worked in a lot of them, before I decided I needed to take a detour and study Carcassi and Giulianni and Terrega and Sor in my efforts to build a FOUNDATION. I'm still wrapped up in that project! But I do have to say this much: Rick's arrangements are TOUGH. They are definitely not easy. The one that I did master was "Just As I Am" I can play it in my sleep. But generally, his arrangements are tough.

His training and study shows in the arrangements. He obviously knows his stuff! He has more than excellent knowledge of the fingerboard and it's intricacies. Rick's a hero, for me. I envy you getting to meet him! I would be so honored if I was ever given that opportunity.

Do you have any information on his training? Perhaps who he studied under? How he got so good?

Rhirvine, he surely wouldn't be interested in mine, either!

Doug
Doug Working

Postby DagerRande » Mon Dec 18, 2017 10:18 pm

Rich, the concert you're referring to 15 years ago, I believe I was at! Is your church sort of out in the country? If so, I remember how strange it felt to me for that kind of setting to be so close to the hustle and bustle of L.A., etc. On that topic, I attended a rodeo in the Colosseum where the Lakers used to play before the Staples Center and I couldn't believe all of the cowboys that came out of the woodwork and the hay and dirt all over the floor. I also met Gary Busey there that same night.

Doug, I know that Rick has always been quite conservative and has lived sort of a simple daily life, with his gardening, etc. I can't tell you where he learned the guitar and developed his skills. I can say that however he learned them, he regularly practiced more hours each day that most of us would have ever had available to us! The most touching part of his history was his relationship with Chet. They were very close. Chet would attend as many of Rick's concerts as he could attend. Rick once posted a copy of a letter that Chet sent him and it was quite emotional. Chet seemed to love Rick like a brother or son. And of course Rick idolized Chet.
Rande Dager

DagerRande

Postby kwarren » Tue Dec 19, 2017 11:54 am

I have always loved Rick’s music and own several of his books and CDs.

I too have done a lot of arranging and composing but not so much in recent years.

A number of years ago, I did an arrangement of “There’s Power in the Blood” that I sent to Rick to see what he thought of it. Some time had passed and I had forgotten all about sending him the piece when I receive an email followed up by a phone call from Rick. Not only did he like the arrangement, he asked my permission to include it on his “Faith Is the Reason” CD.

I can’t tell you how excited I was and what an honor it was to have Rick Foster, one of my guitar hero’s, record one of my arrangements. This was my only claim to fame. 

Once the CD was produced, Rick sent me a free signed copy of the CD along with the book of transcriptions.

Rick is not only one of the best fingerstyle/classical players around but he is an all-around great human being!
kwarren

Postby rhirvine » Tue Dec 19, 2017 6:27 pm

Rande, that Church was in the center of Simi Valley in a residential neighborhood. One arrangement of Rick's that I learned was "This world is not my home". I would combine it with Merle Travis's "I am a pilgrim" and perform it as a medley at special church music events. The folks seemed to like it. I had fun with it over the years but there hasn't been a call for that kind of music at my present church so I doubt if I can play it anymore.

Rich
rhirvine

Postby DagerRande » Wed Dec 20, 2017 11:57 am

Rich, at least you get "calls" for certain types of music in your church. We have to get permission!...lol
Rande Dager

DagerRande

Next

Return to Mister Guitar, Chet Atkins