New acoustic electric nylon string guitar

Discussion of history's greatest guitar player.

New acoustic electric nylon string guitar

Postby rhirvine » Fri Dec 15, 2017 9:20 pm

Rande Dager has actually played my Ovation Electric Country Artist guitar. I realized just the other day that the reason I don't bring it out of it's case very often is that I have always found it uncomfortable to play. The plastic parabolic back causes it to slip off my lap making it necessary to use a strap which I don't like to do when practicing. Even with a strap it's uncomfortable. I think I should sell it and get something more modern that plays easily like it does but has a cutaway neck allowing me to reach higher notes. I do like the 1 7/8 inch neck (at the nut) because I have small hands for a guy. I of course didn't like replacing the 9v pre-amp battery because I have to remove the strings to do so. What would you guys recommend? My practice guitar while a sentimental thing (it was my late wife's first and only guitar) is a guitar purchased at Zodys for probably $15 or $20 back in the late sixties. It has poor sound quality but is neo classical with 1 7/8 inch at the nut neck. Plus it has been dropped and glued back together two or three times. I need something better if I'm going to get serious again about playing. Just asking.
rhirvine

Re: New acoustic electric nylon string guitar

Postby ceciltguitar » Sun Dec 17, 2017 3:26 pm

There are a LOT of cutaway electric acoustic and solid body electric nylon string out there!!! Personal preferences vary a lot!

Flat neck vs radiused neck; heavy vs light; thin body vs deep body; thin neck vs thick neck; type of electronics.

Nylon Parker Fly
Godin - many models to choose from
Yamaha - many models to choose from. NTX series are thin body. They also make a "silent guitar" - SLG 200N.
Gibson Chet Atkins CE and CEC (popular amongst players frequenting this forum, I believe)
Kirk Sand - several models to choose from (popular amongst players frequenting this forum, I believe)
Michael Kelly / Rick Turner N6 or RN6

You will see many choices just by checking Google, eBay and Reverb.com for "electric acoustic nylon string guitar)

Enjoy the hunt!
ceciltguitar

Postby DagerRande » Sun Dec 17, 2017 8:31 pm

Rich, yes I own one of those myself but forgot how difficult it was to adjust to the back. I bought mine used in Davenport, Iowa in 1981 and performed many times at the private boarding high school where I taught in Central Michigan. I also took it with me when a group of us did 12 variety shows in 2 weeks in Romania while it was still under communism. In fact, that's when I was playing "Stars and Stripes" and learned to become sick of it.......lol. By the way, I'll be visiting my youngest daughter in Camarillo during the second week of January. Maybe we can get together again one day when she's busy?
Rande Dager

We are all capable of doing more than we think we can!
DagerRande

Postby rhirvine » Mon Dec 18, 2017 6:08 pm

Hey. That would be great Rande. Maybe we can meet at David Elliott's house this time. On the humorous side about my ovation. Since my stomach is protruding so far these days, that plus the parabolic back is just too much. I should probably look in to something much thinner like the Chet CE (if I can afford one) :D
rhirvine

Postby DagerRande » Mon Dec 18, 2017 10:24 pm

Rick, I do know that Dave once had one of those Gibson solid body nylon string guitars and has probably sold it by now.
I always feel sorry for him because of his degenerative nerve disease that led to him no longer playing. That would be horrible!
Rande Dager

DagerRande

Postby rhirvine » Fri Dec 22, 2017 7:29 pm

I got to hear David Elliott play well before his hand problems. He was so good, very accurate, more so than I have ever been. It was a pleasure to listen to him play and I let him do most of the playing. I can't remember if I tried his Chet Atkins CE or not. Of course he was a professional guitarist long ago but gave it up for wife and family.
rhirvine

Postby DagerRande » Fri Dec 22, 2017 7:48 pm

Rich, I don't know if I ever told you how I met David. I was Jan Rooney's (wife if Mickey) guitarist in the early 90's and she was the main performer for the National Postal Convention in Ventura. David's had been a postal employee as his career. He saw me playing fingerstyle as I accompanied her and he came up to me afterward and it didn't take long for us to start talking about Chet. He then asked me if I could play "The Claw" so I played a little of it for him. That started our friendship.
Rande Dager

DagerRande

Postby rhirvine » Fri Dec 22, 2017 9:38 pm

Rande, cool meet and greet you had with a fellow Chet Picker. I can;t remember when I first got together with David. I wish he still visited this website and posted. He was very articulate.

Rich
rhirvine

Return to Mister Guitar, Chet Atkins