Thank-you Nashville

Discussion of history's greatest guitar player.

Thank-you Nashville

Postby Doug Working » Thu Dec 14, 2017 8:08 pm

Wow! I just now ran into this, and I want to say, it made my eyes wet. I thought I had seen every Chet video. Don't know if you guys have seen it, yet. It really just hits me right where I live.

https://youtu.be/2umVanSNYpA
Doug Working

Re: Thank-you Nashville

Postby DagerRande » Thu Dec 14, 2017 11:04 pm

Doug, I've never seen that. Thanks for posting it. I too was effected in the way that you were.
Rande Dager

We are all capable of doing more than we think we can!
DagerRande

Postby Tom Workman » Fri Dec 15, 2017 3:25 pm

I've seen this before but, it still gets to me. One of my daughters finds my playing style (Chet-style) interesting and I once told her that as intricate as this style is, there are some things you just can't do on a guitar but, Chet did! ...nuf ced. Regards, Tom W.
Tom Workman

Postby rhirvine » Fri Dec 15, 2017 3:50 pm

Thanks for posting it. It got to me too.

Rich
rhirvine

Postby Doug Working » Fri Dec 15, 2017 9:26 pm

I'm rather surprised that it was new to you guys, but actually, the truth is, there is a SCAD of Chet videos on Y'tube. It's really amazing how plentiful they are. But Chet deserves it! His life work needs to be told to many, many more. His life work is the GOOD NEWS of the guitar. He can and will STILL inspire others to take up the instrument, and his legacy, AND THE GUITAR, will live on.

But as for the video, it broke my heart. It was sweet in a sad sort of way. Poignant.

I have read numerous anecdotes about Chet's last days, but I don't want to talk about them here, because I think we all want to focus on the happy, upbeat things about Chet's life. We want to remember him as we would a dear loved one. In a happy way. To me Chet felt SO MUCH like a dad.

But the video spoke for itself. It was Chet himself speaking about his heart, so I figure it's appropriate.

Doug
Doug Working

Postby DagerRande » Sat Dec 16, 2017 5:59 pm

Doug, it looks the video that you're surprised we just saw was posted fairly recently. I feel that YouTube is probably the most valuable "tool" on the Internet that I've ever seen. It used to be that anything I saw of Chet would have to be whatever I could catch as it was happening. We had no way to record anything and I remember many times stopping everything I was doing just to take in whatever I could. When VCR's came along, they were a Godsend to me but of course, I had to wait until Chet was scheduled to perform on a particular show. I recorded a number of audios on a cassette but once YouTube came along and started filling up with Chet's material, I was in heaven! I spent my life learning Chet's songs from vinyl records at half speed and an octave too lower. There was no tab of anything he did and I had to learn it the hard way. I remember his "Live on the Road" album and I spent two weeks learning "Stars and Stripes" between classes. I left my guitar standing by the kitchen table and the cassette and would go home between classes and learn another piece. I performed it in 1981at our faculty talent show. It was a hit and former students of mine to this day have commented on it on Facebook. Anyway, that's how I learned everything and I'm glad I did because now when a new song comes along I'm not having to wait for the tab. I also enjoy arranging, but it has all been influenced by all my years of listening to Chet. YouTube is a great help in seeing his positioning. And even MORE valuable is YouTube's collection of Jerry Reed. There wasn't even anything available commercially by him in terms of video that I'm aware of so that has been a blessing too. I'm glad that you are so dedicated and enthusiastic! I will always continue to be also!
Rande Dager

DagerRande

Postby Doug Working » Sat Dec 16, 2017 6:47 pm

Dager, I sure would like to meet you someday. I'll bet you could teach me a LOT. (Pickin', that is!)

I really related to your post. To say things have changed through the years is a vast understatement! I remember the first VCR'S, too! I used to tape every Chet appearance on TV faithfully. I remember VIVIDLY his appearance on the Mike Douglas Show, and that was the first time I heard him play Bojangles. I was jaw dropped! My ears were in heaven. I absolutely just HAD to learn it! But I had no idea how he did it.

I also taped audio of Chet on TV on cassette tapes.

Sadly, all of those VHS tapes, among my greatest earthly treasures, have been lost in moving through the years. I'd give anything to have them back, along with a VHS player.

I'm so glad that people are posting new videos of Chet (and Jerry) on Y'tube. What a goldmine!! Every day is like Christmas!

Doug
Doug Working

Postby DagerRande » Sat Dec 16, 2017 7:14 pm

Doug, I should probably tell you that my name is reversed here. I'm Rande Dager. I've been a member here for 10 years but lost my password a few years ago and this board doesn't make it easy to change it so I just had to re-register as a new person. The people on here who have been regulars at the convention know who I am. I consider many of them to be my friends. I'd like to meet you too!
Rande Dager

DagerRande

Postby Doug Working » Sat Dec 16, 2017 9:42 pm

Rande, Thanks for setting me straight on your name! I'll get it right from now on.

I used to be a member years ago, but a certain guy by the initials of D.H. took to daily trashing me and my posts. Like a little kid/bully, calling me names, mocking me at every chance he got. It hurt really bad, because I sincerely love Chet.

Then it didn't help when Paul Yandell called me a "flake." I really don't think Chet would have approved of ANY of that. In fact, I KNOW he wouldn't. Chet was kind. So anyway, I got chased off.

I think the water is safe, now. Clear of sharks, so I'm venturing back in.

The only thing I ever really WANTED to do was talk about my hero.

I live in Indiana, btw.

Doug
Doug Working

Return to Mister Guitar, Chet Atkins