New Godin Neck by Bob Frye

Discussion of history's greatest guitar player.

New Godin Neck by Bob Frye

Postby Steve Moran » Wed Sep 13, 2017 11:18 am

Hey everyone, just wanted to share some pictures of a neck Bob Frye made for me to replace the stock neck on my Godin Classical guitar. The headstock is a tribute to my friend Rick Allred who has taught me many fingerpicking tunes as well as Paul Yandell who was so helpful to so many (including me) on the Chetboard. Bob did a great job and the neck is as smooth as glass. The neck is wide (2 1/4" at the nut) with ebony fingerboard that has a radius. The Godin guitar itself was Rick's at one time and, I believe, he recorded some on his first album with this guitar. Thought ya'll might find this interesting and thanks for reading this. I hope the pictures are uploading along with this.
Thanks.
Steve Moran

RickPaul Whole guitar.jpg
RickPaul Neck Pic 3.jpg
RickPaul Neck Pic 4.jpg
Steve Moran

Re: New Godin Neck by Bob Frye

Postby Roger Pratt » Wed Sep 13, 2017 3:06 pm

Awesome neck Steve!! You must have some huge hands to need a neck that wide!!
Roger Pratt

Postby Steve Moran » Wed Sep 13, 2017 4:58 pm

Roger,
Yes probably above average size hands. Thanks for the compliment on the neck - it's really nice.
Steve
Steve Moran

Postby Tom Workman » Wed Sep 13, 2017 10:18 pm

Hi, Steve... Although we've never met, Bob was always first to the rescue whenever I would post a request for help with something I was trying to figure out on the guitar. I noticed that your low E and A string are much closer together at the nut than the rest of them which appear to be evenly spaced. Am I correct in assuming that is by design? Thanks, Tom W.
Tom Workman

Postby Steve Moran » Thu Sep 14, 2017 8:59 am

Tom,
Yes the spacing between the bass E string and A string is slightly closer. That was so I could hold an open C-shaped chord and move up and down the fretboard holding down both of these strings with my left ring finger at the same time without having to move the ring finger. The spacing between those two strings on the new neck probably matches the spacing on a standard 2" nut width with the other four string gaps wider than standard. At times it's an advantage but others not. It's helpful with the funky chord in Classical Gas and some other tunes. It's fun trying something new. Thanks.
Steve
Steve Moran

Return to Mister Guitar, Chet Atkins