The Guitar on the Left!

Discussion of history's greatest guitar player.

The Guitar on the Left!

Postby DagerRande » Tue Mar 21, 2017 6:08 am

Someone in the Jerry Reed forum posted this video. I had never seen it before. At first I was disappointed that Jerry was only strumming. Then I noticed the guitarist on the left!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HQNiZWmi2GE
Rande Dager

We are all capable of doing more than we think we can!
DagerRande

Re: The Guitar on the Left!

Postby Pickin Palmer » Tue Mar 21, 2017 8:45 am

Skinny devil, wasn't he? AND, Paul was the one that settled the band down for the slower beat in Memphis... It seemed that Jerry was tuggin' a bit at the speed - then, Paul brought them back down... It was like he had a metronome in the back of his head....

Palmer
Pickin Palmer

Postby Ray Bohlken » Tue Mar 21, 2017 10:11 am

Rande, that was a great video and Paul was really ON for those songs. I sure enjoyed it and I've shared the link with a couple of friends. Thanks for posting this.
Ray
Ray Bohlken

Postby rkk2786 » Tue Mar 21, 2017 8:17 pm

While no doubt Jerry could play anything he wanted to, Jerry mostly let dad play most of the lead when dad was with him on shows and touring. Dad said when the red light came on in the studio, there wasn't anyone any better than Jerry, Dad always said Jerry played at full volume back then, almost would blow his ears out! Just part of history!

Best regards,
Micah
rkk2786

Postby gmoseley » Thu Mar 23, 2017 10:14 am

Micah, you made me think of a story talking about how loud Jerry would play at some of his concerts. Your dad would say that Jerry would get carried away when they played a large venue and the crowd was responsive and making a lot of noise. Paul said that Jerry was always blowing his JBL speakers (of course they were great sounding speakers but are fairly easy to blow if you really get loud). So they carried spare amps just in case. There was an old fellow down on 2nd Avenue in Nashville, Carl Hugens who worked on amps and was well know for his great re-cone jobs, you could hardly get in the front door of his shop he had so much stuff stacked up! (funny) Paul would laugh and say, "Jerry Reed keeps Carl in business down here". Mr. Hugens was a funny guy himself, always joking about something - he chain-smoked cigarettes and the whole shop was fogy, he kept 4 or 5 ashtrays going all the time, honestly! Paul said, "Chet won't ever come down here with me,,he says you need a gas mask on to go in that place" :D I always thought that was funny.
gmoseley

Return to Mister Guitar, Chet Atkins