A special moment for me

Discussion of history's greatest guitar player.

A special moment for me

Postby nasonm » Mon Sep 26, 2016 7:09 am

I first "discovered" Chet Atkins when I purchased the RCA Years box set out of a bargain bin in the late 90s. I was not aware of him before that but since I've become a dedicated lifelong fan. Like many of you, I own his records (I have over 90 titles on LP & CD), some of his signature guitars, articles, and books.

This past week I was able to travel to Nashville for the first time ever for a business trip. As I never got the chance to see or meet Chet before he passed, for me, the next best thing was to finally see his statue in real life. It may just be a statue in a busy intersection but I could have stayed there all morning.

In addition my wife and I also did the RCA studio B tour and a bunch of other tourist must-dos but that morning where we walked to the statue from our hotel meant a lot to me. I'm sharing this story because if there is ANYPLACE on the internet where people will understand what I'm talking about, it's here. Thanks.

nasonm

Re: A special moment for me

Postby Taffy White » Tue Sep 27, 2016 12:38 pm

I drove past that statue in July on my first visit to Nashville. You're right, it's a busy place and not conducive to pulling over to take a picture. I'll be back next year so hopefully I'll get the chance to do the same as you and visit the main attractions. On the day I had spare time from not visiting the CAAS I decided to go up to Kentucky and visit where Merle Travis and the other great innovators came from. Next time you go back I'd suggest doing that too. It was quite the pilgrimage for me :D
Taffy White

Postby rhirvine » Thu Sep 29, 2016 5:47 pm

One of these days I'll go to Nashville and take the tour. I got to see Chet Atkins perform out here in sunny California but never got to meet him. By the way last Monday I flew out of LAX to go to Boston to visit relatives. It was a morning flight and I was in the "C" group (southwest airlines) the plane first stopped in Nashville. I intended to bring my luggage on board to save time but there were so many guitarists probably going back to Nashville after gigs in L.A. that they took up too much of the overhead storage. They know better than to check guitars into luggage. I did that last year when I visited because my grandson wanted me to play for him. The airline luggage people probably had to open my ovation guitar case to check what was inside and managed to lose my volume and tone control knobs which were kinda loose after so many years (I bought it in the 80's). Lesson learned.
rhirvine

Postby synchro » Fri Nov 04, 2016 2:34 pm

I'd love to do that, someday.

I had the chance to meet Chet after a concert but didn't do it. I've always regretted it.
synchro

Return to Mister Guitar, Chet Atkins