Chet with a B-bender

Discussion of history's greatest guitar player.

Chet with a B-bender

Postby bill raymond » Sun Apr 03, 2016 1:12 am

A couple years back Paul Yandell revealed that Chet used a guitar with a B-bender on several tunes on the Chester and Lester album. I don't recall whether he said it was a Telecaster with B-bender, or something else, but I've been curious about this and never bothered to ask before. I know Chet appeared on Jerry Reed's TV show playing a black Tele with a B-bender. Does anyone know if this was Chet's guitar, or a borrowed guitar, perhaps borrowed from Jerry? It matters little, but it's one of those lingering questions that I've been curious about all this time.
bill raymond

Re: Chet with a B-bender

Postby Norm » Sun Apr 03, 2016 8:35 am

I'm pretty sure it was a borrowed guitar and the song he used it on was "Deed I Do" I think

One of those "Let's try this thing out" kind of things probably. Always looking for a new "hook"
...that's how it looks to me...The opinion expressed above is my own and does not necessarily reflect the views of this station. Your mileage may vary...

Audio samples: http://www.youtube.com/user/acountrygent/videos
That should do it.
Norm

Postby Richard Hudson » Sun Apr 03, 2016 12:07 pm

If the guitar was borrowed, it could have been borrowed from Steve Wariner, as I have seen him with a B bender more than once.
Richard Hudson

Postby Norm » Sun Apr 03, 2016 1:11 pm

correction...

I checked my manuscript and Paul indicates it was built for Chet.

"...Chet didn’t use that Super Chet pictured on that Guitar Monsters album.
He used his ’59 Country Gentleman except on “Deed I Do.” For that he used a
Fender Telecaster with a B-bender that Shot Jackson built for him...."
__Paul Yandell CGP

Since it isn't in the mamg book and Richard says Steve Wariner has one it is very likely that Chet gave it to Steve figuring maybe he would get more use out of it and Chet would still be able to borrow it back if needed.

Chet often remarked he had to give guitars away to make room for ones coming in
...that's how it looks to me...The opinion expressed above is my own and does not necessarily reflect the views of this station. Your mileage may vary...

Audio samples: http://www.youtube.com/user/acountrygent/videos
That should do it.
Norm

Postby bill raymond » Sun Apr 03, 2016 3:38 pm

Thanks Norm. Interesting story about that guitar. It seems like a reasonable inference that he gave it to Steve Wariner. One wonders what other uses Chet may have envisioned for that instrument. I'm sure that we'll never know.
bill raymond

Return to Mister Guitar, Chet Atkins