New CD "Chet Atkins: Windy And Warm/Radio Broadcast 1976"

Discussion of history's greatest guitar player.

New CD "Chet Atkins: Windy And Warm/Radio Broadcast 1976"

Postby the-ocean87 » Mon Nov 23, 2015 7:52 am

Hello.
Has anyone further information about this release? It will be released here in Germany this friday.
The description says "These legendary recordings were made in 1976 by the US radio station KSWM and are released on CD for the first time".
I'd like to know if these are live recrodings or if it's just another compilation. A live recording would be incredible!

The tracklist ist the following:

1. Autumn Leaves
2. When You Wish Upon A Star
3. El Condor Pasa (If I Could)
4. Variations On A Mozart Theme From The Magic Flute
5. Windy And Warm
6. Frog Kissin
7. Back Home Again In Indiana (Medley)
8. I'll See You In My Dreams Ma (Medley)
9. He's Kissing Me (Medley)
10. Mr. Sandman (Medley)
11. Wildwood Flower (Medley)
12. Freight Train (Medley)
13. Snowbird (Medley)
14. Yakety Axe (Medley)

Here is the link http://www.amazon.de/Windy-Warm-Radio-Broadcast-Atkins/dp/B016X7JWDO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1448279311&sr=8-1&keywords=chet+atkins+radio

This CD will be released in the US in January.

Any information would be welcomed :)
the-ocean87

Re: New CD "Chet Atkins: Windy And Warm/Radio Broadcast 1976

Postby Norm » Mon Nov 23, 2015 12:30 pm

It's a good question...

radio KSWM appears to be based in Missouri and seems to be your standard talk show/music broadcasting outlet today.

It seemed to be very active in the seventies but the wiki page does not mention them running live shows of contemporary artists

I went to a translating page and translated the german text in the link provided and, again, no mention was made of live performance so it is probably just selected clips from various albums

There's only one way to know for sure, though, and that's to buy one.
...that's how it looks to me...The opinion expressed above is my own and does not necessarily reflect the views of this station. Your mileage may vary...

Audio samples: http://www.youtube.com/user/acountrygent/videos
That should do it.
Norm

Postby headgremlin » Mon Nov 23, 2015 3:22 pm

I just pre-ordered a copy of this CD from Amazon US and it says it will be released on January 15, 2016. I guess we just have to wait and see whether they are live or Memorex when it is released.

Norm,
I ALWAYS enjoy reading your posts, as they are always very informative and are full of interesting things about Chet and others. In my opinion, you are the go-to guy, now that Paul is not with us.

Thanks, Jere
headgremlin

Postby Ray Bohlken » Mon Nov 23, 2015 5:25 pm

Years ago, I recorded a Chet Atkins concert which was broadcast on my local NPR station from the Smithsonian. I can't remember the year, but I think he spoke about Paul being with him for about a year. The song list is the same as the concert I heard. It is a great concert. The show had an introduction by an NPR person and Chet spoke some during the intro and some of his music played in the back ground while he spoke. He was playing a classical guitar during the 1st half and an electric during the 2nd half. As I remember it, he played the guitar with the 2 bass strings during the electric part of the show. He spoke about the classical guitar being one that was new to him and that there was a lot of gingerbread on it and if he got to looking at it, he would get lost. I am pretty sure you will really enjoy the concert songs.
Take care,
Ray
Ray Bohlken

Postby Norm » Mon Nov 23, 2015 9:59 pm

Ray Bohlken wrote:Years ago, I recorded a Chet Atkins concert which was broadcast on my local NPR station from the Smithsonian. I can't remember the year, but I think he spoke about Paul being with him for about a year.

That may just be it, then, Ray...Paul hired on with Chet in 1975 so the time reference is close enough being it was forty years ago and the station was new and ambitious.

Doesn't help as to which concert it was but maybe the sleeve notes specify it
...that's how it looks to me...The opinion expressed above is my own and does not necessarily reflect the views of this station. Your mileage may vary...

Audio samples: http://www.youtube.com/user/acountrygent/videos
That should do it.
Norm

Postby Ray Bohlken » Sat Nov 28, 2015 12:42 pm

I did some searching with GOOGLE, YAHOO, and BING and found this one reference to the concert using BING. Here is the link. It says the concert was in September of 1976. I think the person who posted at this link was looking for the names of some of the songs in the concert. Again, I think it was a great concert and I really enjoyed listening to it again.
Ray

http://www.guitars101.com/forums/f90/ch ... 68704.html
Ray Bohlken

Postby the-ocean87 » Sun Nov 29, 2015 5:35 am

Thank you for the information, Ray. I ordered the CD and hope I will recieve it next week (I'm from Germany). I'll let you know about the sound quality. Can't wait to hear these recordings!!
the-ocean87

Postby Ray Bohlken » Sun Nov 29, 2015 1:37 pm

You're welcome. Take care.
Ray
Ray Bohlken

Postby the-ocean87 » Tue Dec 08, 2015 1:29 pm

I received the CD yesterday. It is the show Ray was refering to. It is a live recording in front of an audience. The performance is very good! Just Chet and Paul playing guitar. Fantastic - Chet at his very best!

Unfortunately they didn't remaster the recordings. The sound is very muddy. Sounds like and old bootleg.
The tracklist on the CD is completely messed-up. The set also inculdes "Black Mountain Rag" and "Charade". "Gallopin guitar" is also played in the medley. The last track is "Ready for the times to get better" and sounds as though it is from another show, because the sound is totally different and it is played with a full (big)band while the rest of the show was just Chet and Paul. However, a nice addition!

If you don't have this as a bootleg already, try to find the CD version. It is a very good performance by Chet and this is the only recorded live performance (as far as I know) of "Variations on a theme of Mozart"
the-ocean87

Postby kwarren » Wed Dec 09, 2015 11:10 pm

Even though the sound may not be great, I am very excited about this release. I ordered it a few weeks ago but I guess I won't receive it until after mid January. I am happy to hear that it is just Chet and Paul! I can't wait to hear it.
kwarren

Next

Return to Mister Guitar, Chet Atkins