A Tommy Jones Site?

Discussion of history's greatest guitar player.

A Tommy Jones Site?

Postby DagerRande » Fri Nov 20, 2015 10:10 am

For some time I've considered setting up a site to share my Tommy Jones material. I own everything he ever recorded, besides audio and video material that I've recorded personally during my time with him. He gave me most of the commercial recordings that I own. The quality of the ones I recorded isn't the best in many cases but it's all there. It would be a pretty big task and I wouldn't expect to earn anything from it. It would be a "labor of love" only to share.

I was also close to his folks, especially his mother. I talked to her about 2 months before she passed away and shared my idea with her and she was all for it. I was also in contact with his niece years ago and sent her copies of videos that I've taken with him and she too liked the idea.

Here's my question: What legal steps would I have to take in order to accomplish this? He and his folks are gone now and I don't know what copyright violations should be considered?

Norm, I'm guessing you might know the answer to this. I would also appreciate a response from anyone else who knows about this process and all of the legal details. Thanks.
Rande Dager

We are all capable of doing more than we think we can!
DagerRande

Re: A Tommy Jones Site?

Postby Pickin Palmer » Fri Nov 20, 2015 2:22 pm

Hey, Rande, I think you might be worried about a whole bunch of nothing. “It ain't illegal until somebody complains.” I've had my club website up and talking about, and in some cases carrying audio and video files of Chet, Merle and Jerry for 15 years – and, nobody has complained, so far. Besides, they don't sue you right off the bat – they have a lawyer (or, brother-in-law) send you a threatening letter to get you to “take down” or “stop using” whatever it is that is bothering them. If the families of Chet, Merle and Jerry aren't going to complain about my website – I doubt if the family of Tommy is going to about yours.

If you were to put up a tribute website to Tommy you would want to write a biography of his life. In that I can't find a Wikipedia Article about him, why don't you write one. That would be a good start and you don't need permission.

A lot of effort? Tell me about it! ofgc.net

Palmer
Pickin Palmer

Re: A Tommy Jones Site?

Postby DagerRande » Sat Nov 21, 2015 12:01 am

Palmer, I really appreciate your input. I'd love to get his recordings out there and I don't want any money for it. So even if there were family members who might potentially be upset, it could only because I would be giving away something that could potentially bring income to them.

As far as a biography, I know a fair amount but there would be a lot of "unknown time space" that I couldn't fill. I could only authoritatively write about my personal interaction with him from 1976 through just before the time he got real sick in 2001 and 2002. I would also include my first awareness of him on the "Hee Haw" show in 1971 as well as my experiences with his folks during my visits.

Thanks for the encouragement, Palmer!
Rande Dager

We are all capable of doing more than we think we can!
DagerRande

Return to Mister Guitar, Chet Atkins