Chet stories

Discussion of history's greatest guitar player.

Chet stories

Postby John Knowles » Wed Sep 09, 2015 10:59 pm

Otis Gibbs got me talking about Chet recently. You can hear our conversation at:

https://soundcloud.com/otisgibbs

John
John Knowles

Re: Chet stories

Postby Roger Chevrier » Thu Sep 10, 2015 10:12 am

What a wonderful way to start my Thursday morning; listening to John Knowles and hearing some new stories about Chet Atkins. Thanks for posting that link, John. Now I need to go sit with my guitar. Roger
Roger Chevrier

Postby Tompicks » Thu Sep 10, 2015 11:17 am

Years ago John I interviewed you and you gave me a great story about your relationship with Chet and somehow after sending it to you as a word document I misplaced the transcript. That was several computers ago on my end! If you ever come across that I would love to make it part of my "Working with Chet" series.

Best,
Tom
Tom Redmond
Tompicks

Postby Ray Bohlken » Thu Sep 10, 2015 5:37 pm

I just checked into the Chet Board before I laid down for my afternoon nap. Once I got to listening to this interview, I couldn't stop and the nap never happened. It was a great interview. I know you feel that you were lucky to have Chet as a friend, but he was lucky to have you as a friend, too. Sounded like you all had a great time together. It was a great experience to listen to this. Thanks for sharing it. Take care.
Ray
Ray Bohlken

Postby MrAstro » Thu Sep 10, 2015 11:45 pm

I really enjoyed listening to that interview. Thank you!

Thanks also for sharing your reminiscences with us. You have a really laid back talking style that is just a pleasure to listen to.
MrAstro

Postby BillB » Fri Sep 11, 2015 8:06 am

Thanks for sharing this, John. What a great interview to listen to about your friendship with Chet! The stories are a testimony to Chet's greatness. We are so fortunate to have lived during the time that Chet lived and did such great things with the guitar and music in general. He certainly recognized the musical talent that you have, and I think we are all happy that he encouraged you to delve deeper into music. The results have been wonderful! Your presence on the Chetboard is much appreciated, and I hope you will continue to share more stories and music related things in the future.

Sincerely,

Bill B.
BillB

Postby Larry Marchino » Fri Sep 11, 2015 10:29 am

John,
Thanks for posting this! I always enjoy hearing your stories and bits of info about you and Chet! For those of us who never really knew him personally it give us a glimpse into what it would have been like to know him. Thanks again!
Larry
Larry Marchino

Postby GaryL » Sun Sep 13, 2015 7:02 am

Thanks sharing some of your experiences and feelings about Chet. A wonderful friendship. GaryL
GaryL

Postby Richard Hudson » Sun Sep 13, 2015 5:55 pm

I wish I had a story to share about meeting Chet. He was always my hero and always bigger than life to me. I never missed an opportunity to hear him play on radio or TV, and then when I got old enough to have my own money I started buying his LP's. I did get to meet Paul and was so very blessed to get to be his friend. Paul was so humble and his knowledge of the guitar and music in general was uncanny. I really miss him.

Thanks,
Richard
Richard Hudson

Postby Eddie Estes » Sun Sep 13, 2015 9:17 pm

In 1996 I had recieved my Kirk Sand just before coming to CAAS.

Chet had a question and answer session and there was one of those portable mic PA boxes sitting close to him.
I wanted him to sign my guitar and I handed it to him and as he took it he turned it around to sign it and in doing so he scratched the back of the head stock on the PA case.

He said "damn I am sorry about that"!
I said NOOO problem. My guitars first scratch was put on it by Chet Atkins, I have bragging rights!" He got a laugh from that!

Chet was a wonderful person to me the few times I talked to him. He was everything you would want your hero to be!
I have met a few other famous people I admired and they were not the people in person you hoped they would be.
Eddie Estes

Next

Return to Mister Guitar, Chet Atkins