CAAS 2015 - Photos by Ralph Mitchell

Discussion of history's greatest guitar player.

CAAS 2015 - Photos by Ralph Mitchell

Postby davidbrewer » Sun Jul 12, 2015 12:40 pm

There hasn't been much posted about CAAS 2015. Was there a large crowd? Who performed this year? Was Tommy Emmanuel there? It would be nice to hear some comments from those who attended and post videos. I know this board has lost a lot of participation. Just wondering if the CAAS convention is still going strong. Thanks
davidbrewer

Re: caas 2015

Postby Admin » Sun Jul 12, 2015 11:49 pm

Ralph Mitchell took lots of great photos, I'll upload them this evening and tomorrow, with his permission of course.
Admin
Site Admin

Postby PhilHunt » Mon Jul 13, 2015 7:20 am

CAAS just isn't the same as it use to be. Attendance was very low. Many performers, vendors, etc. weren't there.
Tommy, Craig D., Ray Cummins, Bobby Gibson, and more weren't there. The gretsch room was a ghost town. Mel Bay wasn't there or Broadway Sound. I was surprised Gretsch didn't have any Chet models or amps to play through. The Sand room didn't have the same vibe as it use to. The only record vendor was General Gentry. The crowds seemed a bit sleepy and catatonic. The sound in the main stage area could have been better. All in all I did have a good time seeing all the friends and fellow pickers. I do think CAAS needs to make a slight change in direction perhaps working around NAMM.
PhilHunt

Postby billmoit » Mon Jul 13, 2015 6:12 pm

Phil, I agree very much with what you have said. My wife and I have been coming since 1992 and have only missed I think 5 events.

Broadway Sound is only selling PA systems now. They are no longer a Gretsch dealer. Gretsch had an entire rack full of Electromatic guitars and I too was surprised at the lack of any 6122-1959's. Economy maybe? There was no amp by the Gretsch display so I think that hurt the jamming that usually goes on there. Gretsch has very good prices and you can buy directly from them. I miss Broadway Sound as they had pedals, and related guitar stuff. I miss getting to see what is new in those items.

The sound on the main stage was terrible but it was improved some later in the week. I am guessing Mark heard about it as I was not the only one complaining about it.

I think NAAM hurts the attendance at CAAS and I would love to see it changed to a different weekend. My Lionel train club has its biggest event the same weekend as Caas and I always have to decide trains or guitars.

Tommy was in Europe on tour and Ray Cummings threw a fit over his performance time and cancelled. I was happy with the performers that were there. I like the classic Chet sound the best and no Jazz. I was able to always find something I enjoyed listening to.

We did decide to stop staying for the Saturday night show as it has become a rehash of the same people and same songs we have already heard earlier in the week. Sometimes I think they try to cater to the people only coming Friday and Saturday and don't reward us loyal people that come for the entire event.

I have learned that everyone that comes has their own agenda of what they want to get out of the event. I have been much happier lately as I feel the event is moving back towards emphasizing Chet. It got away from that for awhile. Even my wife felt it got away from Chet and she has no musical ability of any kind.

We had a good crop of young thumbs there and some of those I have watch grow up via open stage

Personally I really want to see Duane Eddy for a 45 minute show. My wife has agreed that if he ever does an entire concert in the US we will go see him. He got me started on guitar and Chet came later.

I hope we can keep the event going but it is bound to undergo some changes. We just need to keep it focused on Chet.
billmoit

Postby albertgen » Mon Jul 13, 2015 11:04 pm

I am part of that, but I have always been there in spirit. I always thought the CAAS was the greatest thing in the world. I think it will get better again but I think it has to be about Chet Atkins. He was a very unique person and there will never be anyone like him. I am still amazed at every thing he ever played, still a mystery in many ways. Nice to hear from you Phil! Al
albertgen

Postby Tompicks » Mon Jul 13, 2015 11:13 pm

Tom Redmond
Tompicks

Postby Tompicks » Mon Jul 13, 2015 11:14 pm

Tom Redmond
Tompicks

Postby Admin » Mon Jul 13, 2015 11:19 pm

Wow, what talent!