nails

Discussion of history's greatest guitar player.

nails

Postby Admin » Sun Apr 19, 2015 8:47 pm

Who uses real vs. artificial nails?
Admin
Site Admin

Re: nails

Postby Norm » Sun Apr 19, 2015 9:04 pm

I don't play as much as I used to but I always used natural nails for guitar.

For my Dobro I use fingerpicks because you have to play more firmly to be heard in a bluegrass setting on a purely acoustic Dobro.
...that's how it looks to me...The opinion expressed above is my own and does not necessarily reflect the views of this station. Your mileage may vary...

Audio samples: http://www.youtube.com/user/acountrygent/videos
That should do it.
Norm

Postby terry hollifield » Sun Apr 19, 2015 9:35 pm

I have to use my finger tips because my nails break easily. I also do some mechanic work which is also very hard on nails.I've tried several things but nothing seems to make them tough enough. Thanks Terry
terry hollifield

Postby EdNilo » Sun Apr 19, 2015 10:37 pm

I've been using acrylic nails on 3 fingers of my right hand for years. My real nails always broke. I really like them.
EdNilo

Postby Ray Bohlken » Mon Apr 20, 2015 6:56 am

I play with bare fingers and I have my nails really short because I get a really thin sound when the nails are long. I also play with a bare thumb.
Ray
Ray Bohlken

Postby Roger Chevrier » Mon Apr 20, 2015 12:29 pm

I've been using acrylic nails for many years now. Before, I would break or chip a nail on a monthly basis doing work around the house and camp. Since the acrylics I've broken one or two. Musically I find they shape better with a glass file and extra fine grit emery paper. Also I seem to get a better and more equal tone than I did with my regular nails. I get them redone every three or four weeks. When I get an air bubble under one nail my manicurist files off the old acrylic and starts anew. The natural nail underneath always looks in great shape. Still strong with no discoloration or fungus. Roger Chevrier
Roger Chevrier

Postby Joeb » Mon Apr 20, 2015 12:29 pm

I to play with my fingers tips because my nails break so easy. I now use finger picks and I've found out the best finger picks are the ones made by FRED KELLY. I've tried many different finger picks like The BUTTERFLY FINGER PICKS and the ALASKA FINGER PICKS etc. and FRED KELLY wins over all of them. There not cheap priced at $15.00 for a set of 3 but they feel and sound brighter and the best part they feel just like the real nails feel. Try them you won't be sorry you did. Hope this helps you out. Joeb
Joeb

Postby DagerRande » Mon Apr 20, 2015 9:22 pm

As recommended to me by Doyle Dykes in 1999, I've been using acrylic nails because my real nails broke too often. I like the tone I get with them and the fact that they don't break, but I miss the flexibility of my real nails. These acrylics are like playing with pieces of inflexible stone on the ends!
Rande Dager

We are all capable of doing more than we think we can!
DagerRande

Postby Mike Detlefsen » Tue Apr 21, 2015 12:43 am

I use my real nails, but I use one or two layers of very thin nylon cloth bonded to the nail surface. For me, this lasts much longer than acrylic nails ever did. Also, I keep my nails pretty short.
Mike Detlefsen

Postby bill park » Thu Apr 23, 2015 7:31 pm

Mike Detlefsen wrote:...I use one or two layers of very thin nylon cloth bonded to the nail surface.

Mike, I also use my natural nails, but this "nylon cloth bonded to the nail surface" intrigues me. What's the brand name, where do you purchase it, and how is it bonded to the nail surface?
Thanks, Bill
bill park

Next

Return to Mister Guitar, Chet Atkins