Nearly Nashville

Discussion of history's greatest guitar player.

Nearly Nashville

Postby BillB » Sun Apr 12, 2015 9:26 am

This is an interesting article about country music recording in Dallas, TX, back in the '50s. Some speculate that it could have become what Nashville became. While I doubt that, it is worth a read. Chet is mentioned, and he probably knew of the fellow that the article is about, since several future country stars (Lefty Frizzell, Billy Walker, Marty Robbins, etc.) recorded in his studios. There's a nice video of Lefty singing with a thumbpicking guitar player at the end of the article.

Thought it might be worth sharing,

Bill B.

http://res.dallasnews.com/interactives/country-dallas/
BillB

Re: Nearly Nashville

Postby bill_h » Sat May 02, 2015 12:41 am

Well, it's worth pondering anyway! Who knows what may have been had that fellow not died an untimely death. I don't really see Dallas supplanting Nashville with our guy Chet established in Nashville but I could see Dallas making it's impact as well. Thanks for an interesting read Bill.
bill_h

Postby FWoodard » Thu May 07, 2015 11:11 am

BillB: Thumbpickin Guitar player is Buck Trent.. Thanks, Frank
FWoodard

Postby Norm » Fri May 08, 2015 1:58 am

It's a good article which points out that other cities were iconic in the recording industry. Sun Records in Memphis is another example.

The thing about Nashville was, of course, WSM and its clear channel broadcasting power. No one could get rich playing the Opry since they only paid scale but due to the coverage WSM provided the GOO was the Mecca for country musicians. Association with the Opry meant more bookings to the artist so the GOO venue and the performing artist appearing there benefited each other. Chet himself tried more than once to get established there for that very reason.

Owen Bradley's "Bradley's Barn" and Steve Sholes/RCA's decision to build a dedicated recording studio in Nashville set the bar for centralizing country music as it was known in the day.

The Bakersfield Sound "rebellion" was another example of the industry separating itself from Nashville but due to conditions outlined earlier...the combination of WSM and early dedicated studio construction...there were no real contenders in that time period threatening Nashville's entry as "Music City"

But you knew that...
...that's how it looks to me...The opinion expressed above is my own and does not necessarily reflect the views of this station. Your mileage may vary...

Audio samples: http://www.youtube.com/user/acountrygent/videos
That should do it.
Norm

Return to Mister Guitar, Chet Atkins