Chet Mr bojangles.

Discussion of history's greatest guitar player.

Chet Mr bojangles.

Postby Jan Van Hocht » Tue Dec 07, 2010 3:25 pm

Hello,

Could someone tell me about what kind of guitar Chet is playing by the song of Mr. Bojangles in youtube url: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vQC-mZivibQ ???

Thanks a lot on forehand.

Greetings,

Jan. (Belgium)
Jan Van Hocht

Re: Chet Mr bojangles.

Postby Oddsteven » Tue Dec 07, 2010 3:52 pm

I think that's the Gibson Studio Classic - the Fleur-de-Lis soundhole is the giveaway. I'm sure I'll be corrected if wrong...
Steve Cowles
Oddsteven

Postby David Elliott » Tue Dec 07, 2010 4:32 pm

by Oddsteven » Tue Dec 07, 2010 12:52 pm

I think that's the Gibson Studio Classic -

I'm sure I'll be corrected if wrong...Steve Cowles

That is correct Steve-

David
David Elliott

Postby Jan Van Hocht » Thu Dec 09, 2010 11:24 am

hello,

thanks a lot for your information about the studio classic, but I still have one question: do you think that Gibson has this guitar (or somewhere a guitar with the same construction from another firm) still in production??.
I 'm curious to know.

thanks again for your attention.

greetings,

Jan
Jan Van Hocht

Postby BillB » Thu Dec 09, 2010 11:57 am

That Gibson is no longer produced, nor do they make anything like it. For one thing, the pickup that it uses is virtually unavailable. Occasionally, there will be a non-Fleur de lis version on eBay, but they often cost a lot of money. Again, it's hard to get replacement parts if the pickup goes bad. Your best bet would be to contact Kirk Sand and have him build you his version of the Studio Classic with either the RMC or the Prismatone pickup (which would be my choice). It'll cost you plenty, but it will be the best available.

Bill B.
BillB

Postby Roger Pratt » Thu Dec 09, 2010 2:33 pm

Hi Jan.....There is such a guitar on Ebay as we speak. It doesn't have the Fluer de Lis but it is made by the same man who designed the original studio for Gibson, Kirk Sand. This guitar is owned by a buddy of mine and it is a great guitar. I own one identical to it and I love it.
http://cgi.ebay.com/Sand-Chet-Atkins-Nylon-Electric-Gibson-Pickup-/190468825441?pt=Guitar&hash=item2c58d3a161
Roger Pratt

Postby David Elliott » Thu Dec 09, 2010 3:59 pm

Hello Jan:

As Bill said, unfortunately this guitar is no longer produced by Gibson. They later made a slightly 'altered' version after a few years, but supposedly not of the quality of the original.

Coincidently, I own the 'standard' version of this guitar, (a 1993 Gibson Studio, CEC, (2" nut), and which I have been considering selling in just the past several months, because of health reasons.

As Bill also said, it is a beautiful instrument, and in my personal opinion, has not been surpassed in quality, tone, etc. before or since, by Gibson.

Here are a few photos of this guitar, and as you can see it is not the 'fleur di lis' model, (those are now practically non-available anymore, although there are several 'custom' builders who make models very similar I believe.

David

David Elliott

Return to Mister Guitar, Chet Atkins