Back in Nashville.....

Discussion of history's greatest guitar player.

Back in Nashville.....

Postby George Beasley » Sun Jan 11, 2015 9:58 pm

As some of you know, I moved back to Nashville 4 months ago. With starting a new job, buying a house, etc, I havent had too much of an opportunity to take advantage of the city. Well that has changed: on Sun Jan 18th, I have a guitar lesson lined up with the fantastic Stephen D. Anderson, who I think carries on the torch of Lenny style playing better than anyone. I am very excited...I won't even know where to begin.

Two days later, I have a lesson lined up with great Richard Smith. For this, I think I am going to concentrate on one of his songs that I love...Lullabye for Madeleine.

Anyway, just thought I would brag...haha.
Thanks,
George
George Beasley

Re: Back in Nashville.....

Postby DagerRande » Mon Jan 12, 2015 8:40 am

Yes George, your bragging worked! That sounds like a nice opportunity! Personally the value of those to me would depend upon the "formality" of the lesson. If your "Lenny lesson" requires a lot of note reading and heavy theory, I wouldn't get anything from it. However if I could watch and hear what he's doing, I would get a huge amount out of it just like I did from all of the time I spent with Tommy Jones. Even Tommy told me that he got the most out of watching others and adding to his "bag of tricks". Regarding Richard, he has stated many times that he doesn't depend upon the formal details of music, which would lead me much quicker to spending time with him.

Now I have to put in a plug for Brooks Robertson. I went through his "Right Hand Technique" course and that has changed my technique dramatically! I've already internalized a huge amount of material from Chet, Jerry, Tommy Jones, etc. but I felt that my right hand was limited and that I could do much better if I could improve that specific detail. I spent a few days with Audie Wykle last Spring and he may disagree that I had a problem, but I knew better. If you watch "I Saw Her Standing There" that I recently posted on YouTube, and study my right hand, I owe that to Brooks. He changed just enough detail for me that there was enough improvement to impress even myself! Certain exercises that I worked through were difficult for me but they eventually made previously difficult sections of songs easier for me now. I've been able to pick up just about everything I hear but the physical limitations have always slowed me down or prevented me from playing certain songs.

Having said all of that, I believe that Richard is gifted in both areas and I do envy your lesson with him. I would also highly recommend Brooks' course, at least after the first 2 or 3 introductory lessons.
Rande Dager

We are all capable of doing more than we think we can!
DagerRande

Postby John Knowles » Mon Jan 12, 2015 10:00 pm

George and Rande, It's great to hear you guys talk about learning this way. It reminds me how much Chet was always watching and asking questions. It's one of the big things we have all learned from him. Also, learning never stops. The more you know, the more you can be open to subtleties that add a lot to your enjoyment of the music. Aren't we fortunate to be a part of Chet's generation. John
John Knowles

Postby Kent Hillman » Fri Jan 16, 2015 4:35 pm

Amen John - that is what all this is about really......
Kent Hillman

Postby bill_h » Mon Jan 19, 2015 1:38 am

Congratulations on getting back to Nashville and on your upcoming lessons. Maybe you'll be able to teach all the rest of us all that we don't know about the guitar.
bill_h

Return to Mister Guitar, Chet Atkins