Jethro Burns

Discussion of history's greatest guitar player.

Jethro Burns

Postby Bob key » Tue Sep 16, 2014 11:49 pm

Hi Chet said that Jethro was a fine guitarist aswell as the mandolin,I wonder if there are any recordings of Jethro playing guitar

Thanks Bob
Bob key

Re: Jethro Burns

Postby David Elliott » Wed Sep 17, 2014 7:37 pm

Bob key wrote:Hi Chet said that Jethro was a fine guitarist aswell as the mandolin,I wonder if there are any recordings of Jethro playing guitar
Thanks Bob

Hi Bob,

It doesn't exactly look like you're being inundated with responses to your question, :) so I'll throw in my 2¢ worth...

I don't think I ever heard Jethro play the guitar, but then, why would he...since he had Homer Haines (a GREAT rhythm guitarist) as a sidekick, for most of his career, and he himself was an amazing mandolinist?

I've always believed that Homer and Jethro were two of the most talented people in show business...without doubt!

David
David Elliott

Postby craigdobbins » Wed Sep 17, 2014 9:04 pm

Jethro played a lot of guitar on the Homer and Jethro LP Playing it Straight.

Craig
craigdobbins

Postby Bob key » Thu Sep 18, 2014 12:33 am

Hello again,Thanks Dave and Craig for your comments.I had read over the years Chet always gave Jethro credit for showing him licks, Chets Django licks come straight from Jethro who along with less paul were great Django fans.you could really here the Django influence in the early Chet and Homer and jethro recordings

Thanks Again Bob
Bob key

Postby Larry Marchino » Thu Sep 18, 2014 8:52 am

Yes Jethro was a great guitar flat picker too. I have a CD "Jethro Burns, The Puritan Sessions Featuring Keith Coleman". I'm sure it is probably out of print now. Jethro plays mandolin and guitar on this CD. On the front of the CD is a picture of Jethro playing mandolin on the back a picture of Jethro sitting on a stool playing a flat top guitar. (Keith Coleman is the fiddle player on the CD.) The CD has several original tunes Jethro wrote. It was recorded in 1975.
Larry Marchino

Postby Alan Copeland » Wed Sep 24, 2014 4:45 pm

I found the CD on Amazon for 16.65 shipped to Texas. Yesterday there were several copies, today I got the last one. They say they will have more coming.
Alan Copeland

Postby Alan Copeland » Wed Sep 24, 2014 4:49 pm

Larry Marchino wrote: I have a CD "Jethro Burns, The Puritan Sessions Featuring Keith Coleman". I'm sure it is probably out of print now. Jethro plays mandolin and guitar on this CD. On the front of the CD is a picture of Jethro playing mandolin on the back a picture of Jethro sitting on a stool playing a flat top guitar. (Keith Coleman is the fiddle player on the CD.) The CD has several original tunes Jethro wrote. It was recorded in 1975.

LArry, I bought a copy on Amazon today. I got the last copy, but they have more on the way.
Alan Copeland

Postby Larry Marchino » Fri Sep 26, 2014 10:06 am

Alan,
Great! Glad you were able to find it. It is not one I listen to often, but I'm glad I have it. My Dad was a mandolin player and Jethro was his favorite. Dad could really tear it up on the old tunes like Down Yonder and Just Because and other like tunes. Wish I had a nickel for every time we played them. It makes me miss him when we play these tunes now days. Anyway, I also have a couple of Dad's CD's of Jethro playing mandolin which were recorded after Homer passed, but they are great. They are just Jethro and Don Stiernberg on rhythm guitar in the style of Homer. They are called "Swing Low, Sweet Mandolin" and "Bye Bye Blues". They were produced by David Grisman. If you are into Jethro on Mandolin, I recommend them--again if they are available.
Larry Marchino

Return to Mister Guitar, Chet Atkins