18 hr drive with Chet on IPOD made my trip fun :)

Discussion of history's greatest guitar player.

18 hr drive with Chet on IPOD made my trip fun :)

Postby Larry Lenhart » Wed Nov 24, 2010 8:14 pm

Yesterday I drove the 18 hour trip from Phoenix, Az to Austin Texas to visit my son for Thanksgiving. I listened to Chet continuously on my IPOD and it made the trip so pleasurable. Even tho I have listened to those recordings hundreds of times since I first was introduced to his music in 1957, they never grow old to me. It is so much fun to listen to his playing,,,,he never ceases to amaze me...his versatility, tone, creativity is wonderful. This is the 3rd trip where I have done that, and it makes the trip alot easier. I still had tunes left....1.2 days total according to my itunes....i will listen to more on the trip back to Oklahoma on Friday. :D
Larry Lenhart

Re: 18 hr drive with Chet on IPOD made my trip fun :)

Postby Richard Hudson » Thu Nov 25, 2010 12:29 am

Larry, I suppose over my lifetime I have listened to everything Chet recorded numbers of times. Chet is still my favorite artist, bar none. I still find listening to his music enjoyable. There is a smile quite often when I am listening, especially to certain parts and licks. He was amazing. In the 50's and 60's, he was so far ahead of everyone else that there was no comparison. There was a fire in his playing that was unmatched. As Chet matured, so did his playing. I heard more and more of his heart and soul as he grew older and then occassionally he would show that the spark was still there with a hot lick out of nowhere. He was always Chet, and he was always the greatest. So many have tried to pay tribute to him with special recordings, including myself, but it is always so inadequate. Maybe some of the things we do are really special, but Chet could have done it so much better. I like what Steve Wariner said, "You can't outChet Chet."

When Solo Sessions was released a few years back at the CAAS, we listened to it all the way home. There would be a smile sometimes, a tear sometimes and an occassional "Wow, did you hear that?" Solo Sessions is such an intimate collection of recordings. It was like Chet was playing a special concert for Conchieta and I as we drove back to Oklahoma. I'm sure everyone feels the same way when they listen to it. Like it is just for me.

Chet's music will never grow old for all of us. And someday I think another generation will discover him all over again.

Thanks for sharing your experience.
Richard Hudson

Postby George Beasley » Thu Nov 25, 2010 12:36 am

I made the 8 hour drive from Peoria to Lebanon TN today, and listened to The Specials and Madness on the way down. It wasn't Chet, but it was fun!

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!
Thanks,
George
George Beasley

Postby tyguy » Thu Nov 25, 2010 4:33 pm

In my own humble opine the "fire in the belly" is what matters most to me.I have young players over once in a while and always notice the fire in their playing,even though,they may not be that facile on their instrument.The young only have this.To me Chet's early years were when He played the best.I can hear the fire in his playing.Chinatown,Oh by Jingo songs like that(of course I'm biased toward the older playing because of my age).This fire cannot be bought or developed.It's just there in younger players.Taste,finesse and mature muscianship come with age and can be developed but not the fire. God Bless Chester B.. The best, Ty M.
tyguy

Postby Pickin Palmer » Fri Nov 26, 2010 1:38 pm

Larry, almost once a month (or, so) I make the trip from Columbus, Ohio to Penn Yan, New York (7 hrs one way) to see my 90 yo mom and I've had all my Chet stuff on an iPod for several years now (every since Pa Cobble came up here with one) - yer right, it made all those trips much more tolerable.

At first I tried the "stick in the ears" ear phones that came with it... but, they made my inner ear sore after awhile. So, I bought several other versions of those "stick in" - but, same results... Then, I bought one of those gadgets that plug into the cigarette lighter and it found an "unused" (yea, right) FM station so that Chet's music came out of the radio speakers.. Lousy reproduction because it never really did find a totally unused channel - but, it did keep my iPod charged up.

THEN, I found those noise reduction Bose headphones... WOWOWOW! Now, I not only can hear Chet better than I ever have - but, the road noise is pretty much gone, as well... I now almost hate getting there so fast... lol

Palmer
Pickin Palmer

Postby Randy Finney » Fri Nov 26, 2010 1:46 pm

Palmer, isn't driving with headphones on illegal down there? It sure is up here.

Randy
Randy Finney

Postby Larry Lenhart » Fri Nov 26, 2010 3:34 pm

Illegal or not, the safest thing to do is to have a module added to your car stereo so that you can plug in your ipod and have it come thru the car stereo....I am sure the newer cars have that capability built in and you dont need to add anything to your car stereo. As for me, it bothers me to have both ears covered while I am driving a car...I use my ears too much for exterior road noise, etc. As I type this, my daughter is installing such a unit on her new Honda.
Larry Lenhart

Postby Pickin Palmer » Wed Dec 01, 2010 11:20 pm

"Is it illegal?"

Ok, I'm an idiot - what's new. :lol: And, yes, it is probably illegal, but YOU OUGHTTA HEAR THAT SOUND CHET MAKES THRU THOSE HEADPHONES!! (I know you have a set, Randy... Awesome, rn't they??)

After I tried that FM radio adapter I bought a "tape player" adapter - but, the road noise made me have to turn the volume too far up to over power it. I'm gigglin' a bit as I write this because the young man at the Bose store went ballistic at me when I told him I wanted to "road test" the head phones. "YOU CAN'T USE THEM IN YOUR CAR - THAT'S ILLEGAL!" (He almost wouldn't sell them to me - but, I think in this economy any commission was appreciated.)

I wear my seat belt, my motorcycle helmet, I use my turn signal and I come to a full stop at all stop signs. I pay my taxes and recycle - I even sort them into paper and the rest. I'm not near as homophobic as I used to be and I surely hope that a woman becomes President in the short amount of years I have left to witness that historic event - however, I'm not quite sure I want that to be Sarah P. :lol: I drag all my PA equipment and guitars into "the coffee house" EVERY Tuesday evening in hopes that other "pickers" will come in and help me keep old time thumb style guitar alive - and, I financially support Public Radio no matter how liberal they are. HOWEVER, when I'm on a trip that lasts a whole day - I WANT TO HEAR MY MUSICAL HERO, CHET, AS CLEAR AS I CAN!...

Besides, those Bose headphones don't really cut out ALL road noise.... I'll be able to hear the crash when I run into you. :lol: LOLOL

Keep on pickin',

Palmer
Pickin Palmer

Postby RandeDager » Thu Dec 02, 2010 9:19 am

Palmer, I'd sure love to have someone like you living near me! I'd be one of those guys that you're hoping would help you
on stage on Tuesday nights! I'd even wear my helmet to make you feel more comfortable. We don't have any significant interest in fingerstyle guitar around here. I have to wait until CAAS events to find people who "really" enjoy what I do, other than for those in music stores who stop for 10 seconds out of curiosity and then move on, probably because it's not
"hip" or "cool" enough for them.......lol

Rande
Rande
RandeDager

Postby J J Harmon » Thu Dec 02, 2010 10:27 am

Just so I'm not changing the topic --- I have mp3's of Chet on 8 cd's and I can commute to GA from Charlotte and back on a cd. 5 Hours. My new VW has an SD slot too.

Now Rande while I was living in Beverly Hills, MI I thought like you that there wasn't any other Boom Chickers but before I left I found a cell in Pontiac.

As close as Kalamazoo and Elkhart are to you I'm thinking you don't get out much. They are everywhere just some don't get on here.
J J Harmon

Next

Return to Mister Guitar, Chet Atkins