Chet and the new generation of players

Discussion of history's greatest guitar player.

Chet and the new generation of players

Postby George Beasley » Sun Nov 14, 2010 1:15 am

There is a place in Peoria, IL called The Acadamy of Fretted Instruments, which gives guitar, mandolin, bass, and banjo lessons. Every year the teachers performs a concert for the public, built around a theme. This year's concert was held tonight, and was called "Bluesology". The concert had the teachers playing songs that followed the evolution of the blues. The first set was built around the early influences and legends...Robert Johnson, Bessie Smith, Son House, Muddy waters, BB King, etc. The second half of the show was dedicated to how the blues influenced musicians from the 50's through today...it included Buddy Holly ("Not Fade Away"), Allman Brothers, Hendrix, etc. While this was a show that primarily featured the teachers (backed up by non teachers on keyboards, drums, and backup/lead vocals), one exceptions was made for a student. They brought out a young fellow who was around 12 years old. He came out alone with his guitar, turned up the tremolo on the amp, and backed only by the drummer, performed a very good version of Chet's "Slinky". The crowd ate it up. It made me very happy.

It is very encouraging to see that Chet is still influencing the newest generation of players.
Thanks,
George
George Beasley

Re: Chet and the new generation of players

Postby RonBloor » Sun Nov 14, 2010 8:12 am

Thanks George, it sounds like a great night. I went back and listened to Chet playing slinkey and my goodness did he ever crank up the tremolo on that one!!! I had forgotten that. There seems to be more talented kids picking like Chet.. and they seem to be getting younger! I suppose my getting older might have something to do with that observation :)
Ron Bloor
RonBloor

Re: Chet and the new generation of players

Postby cgprnd » Sun Nov 14, 2010 9:30 am

You know, I'm wondering if that kid was a Chet fan to begin with and tried as hard as he could to find something to fit that program? If he was just a blues fan in general, there are plenty of other alternatives aside from Chet!

Rande
Rande Dager
cgprnd

Return to Mister Guitar, Chet Atkins