From Gibson...sorry if it has been posted before...

Discussion of history's greatest guitar player.

From Gibson...sorry if it has been posted before...

Postby jay » Sat Nov 06, 2010 10:35 pm

jay kantor
jay

Re: From Gibson...sorry if it has been posted before...

Postby Billy Anderson » Sat Nov 06, 2010 11:16 pm

Move No. 2 to 1 and No.5 to 2 and just quit counting at that point. Billy
Billy Anderson

Postby Mike Detlefsen » Sun Nov 07, 2010 12:13 am

I wouldn't put Chet on that list at all. I don't consider him to be an "acoustic guitarist".

Just me being contrary, I guess.

Mike
Mike Detlefsen

Found the full list

Postby jay » Sun Nov 07, 2010 2:11 am

http://www.gibson.com/en-us/Lifestyle/F ... lete-1029/

Jerry at 34? Joni Mitchell at 13?

They had to be using a dartboard.
jay kantor
jay

Postby RonBloor » Sun Nov 07, 2010 11:27 am

These things are so subjective and controversial that it's irritating... to me anyway... Rating and ranking seems to be a popular thing in the music industry. I think when a guitarist achieves a certain level competence (to be debated) they should just be taken for what they are and we should enjoy (or not) their music.
I'm not saying don't honor those that seem to be extremely popular, by the grammys or whatever, but I don't think these "lists" are doing anything like that.. they simply put down many many guitarist that are either way down on the list or don't even get mentioned... IMHO.
Ron Bloor
RonBloor

Postby RonBloor » Sun Nov 07, 2010 12:34 pm

"24. Paul Simon
25. Jerry Reed, Laurence Juber, Buckethead (tie)"

Jerry Reed tied with Buckethead!!! Who the... is Buckethead!!! I guess I've been living a sheltered life..

I take it back these list are not just irritating... They are also entertaining... in an humorous way :)
Ron Bloor
RonBloor

Postby tyguy » Sun Nov 07, 2010 7:21 pm

These lists are always absurd and inane.Segovia should always be at the top of the list because He made the guitar a "legitimate classical instrument",that otherwise would have been relegated to the status of the harmonica,kazoo,and banjo etc..I love the sound of open tunings sometimes but never use them except drop D in the key of D only because it's legit.If the guitar is tuned any other way,as Chet said,it has the danger of becoming a bastard instrument and it's not a guitar anymore it's not legit and something else.Guitars without strings make beautiful music sometimes!One key on the piano with multiple hammers and strings tuned to a chord?Just put on a recording. The Best Ty M.
tyguy

Postby Billy Anderson » Wed Nov 10, 2010 11:03 am

[quote="Mike Detlefsen"]I wouldn't put Chet on that list at all. I don't consider him to be an "acoustic guitarist".

Mike

Sorry to disagree, but see below:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0OJLZu5I ... re=related

Billy
Billy Anderson

Postby tyguy » Wed Nov 10, 2010 5:15 pm

Billy Anderson wrote:
Mike Detlefsen wrote:I wouldn't put Chet on that list at all. I don't consider him to be an "acoustic guitarist".

Mike

Sorry to disagree, but see below:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0OJLZu5I ... re=related

Billy

I agree.Never thought of him as an acoustic guitarist either.When I think of Chets tone and feel I always think electric but I'm an old fogey.An acoustic guitarist is hard to define today anyway!Tommy E. pushes a button on his amp or whatever it is to eq to the room.Bluegrass is all electric also.The only acoustic guitarist I've ever seen(no miking)was Segovia and I've seen lots of so called acoustic players.Round hole or flat top players would be a more appropriate definition for pup or miked players.If it ain't in my living room with no elecronics it's not acoustic music to me. The Best, Ty M.
tyguy

Postby Billy Anderson » Thu Nov 11, 2010 9:09 am

Technically, Chet's CG was an acoustic guitar according to the first line of the attached definition of an archtype ("a steel-stringed acoustic") guitar, and note the Country Gentleman about halfway down. Billy

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Archtop_guitar
Billy Anderson

Next

Return to Mister Guitar, Chet Atkins