Jethro Burns solo

Discussion of history's greatest guitar player.

Re: Jethro Burns solo

Postby Norm » Tue May 07, 2013 6:02 pm

why Chet did not challenge me about the source of my information..."

He probably thought, 'question asked, questioned answered'

I think if you had asked him for more details he would have told you but even Paul has said that Chet tended to just answer the question about something and maybe give more information if he was asked about it later on.

I remember seeing his 59 backstage once. At the time I didn't realise it had a wider fingerboard but when you saw it up close it was pretty obvious.
I said "You have a wide fingerboard there"
"Oh, that's just an old Gentleman I had them put a wide neck on." he said.
No embellishment.
...that's how it looks to me...The opinion expressed above is my own and does not necessarily reflect the views of this station. Your mileage may vary...

Audio samples: http://www.youtube.com/user/acountrygent/videos
That should do it.
Norm

Postby DWolfram » Wed May 08, 2013 12:57 am

He probably thought, 'question asked, questioned answered'

I think if you had asked him for more details ............

Norm,

That was just it. I didn't know then there was anything else to ask. Didn't know only one version was to be released. Didn't know the studio version was an accident. You have to wonder what Chet knew when and how.

When I first heard the "other" version of Let It Be Me on the radio I knew it was different but did not think beyond....if he wants to redo it it's his business.
Thought then it was a waste of time too. Ha! Especially after I heard the entire Nashville version album I thought the studio version was superior. Later I found things in the Nashville version I liked. But not the vinyl audio mix/quality.

At CAAS there were some interesting conversations about CAIH. Like what are you calling the first album? What do you mean by the first version..etc? Which album is better?
Generally, whichever album someone bought first that was the album they liked best.

David
DWolfram

Postby Norm » Wed May 08, 2013 11:00 am

I had one great opportunity to try to draw Chet out and ask some questions but, even though I knew I would be having private time with him, I was unprepared and got bit by, for lack of a better word "FanBlank" which is when your ability to talk suddenly throws a wheel.

Same thing when I spent days with "Uncle Josh" Graves. There were so many questions I could/should have asked him but did not. At least with him I learned a lot by watching him but I could have saved myself hours of unlearning bad technique if I had only asked him some things...

All of those questions, of course, come flooding in once the meeting is over....

Even Paul often had to admit he didn't know something about Chet or his guitars (when someone asked him for a reminisce) because it never occured to him to ask the question when he knew Chet.
...that's how it looks to me...The opinion expressed above is my own and does not necessarily reflect the views of this station. Your mileage may vary...

Audio samples: http://www.youtube.com/user/acountrygent/videos
That should do it.
Norm

Previous

Return to Mister Guitar, Chet Atkins