Guitar Blues -- what guitar is Chet using?

Discussion of history's greatest guitar player.

Guitar Blues -- what guitar is Chet using?

Postby mark reinhart » Wed Apr 24, 2013 12:48 pm

OK, I couldn't get anyone to bite on my capo question about "Guitar Blues," so I've got another question about the song to throw out for discussion. Anyone have any thoughts on just what guitar Chet might have been playing on the song? Chet stated that he used his Gibson L-10 acoustic for many of his later 1940s recordings, but it sure doesn't sound like the L-10 on "Guitar Blues" -- the guitar on that recording is so much more electric in nature. I know that he did sometimes use a pickup with the L-10 -- so maybe if he was using both a capo and and pickup with the L-10 to record the song, it would have given the guitar that more electric feel. Still, when I listen to the recording, I can't help but think that Chet was using some other guitar besides the L-10. (By the way, Chet himself shed no light on this question that I could find -- he discussed recording the song in ME AND MY GUITARS, but not what guitar he played on it.)
mark reinhart

Re: Guitar Blues -- what guitar is Chet using?

Postby mark reinhart » Wed Apr 24, 2013 1:36 pm

Actually, I really think that I answered my own question -- I just listened to some of those later 1940s sessions that Chet did, and when he was using a pickup on the L-10 it DID have a much more biting, electric sound to it. So I think that Chet likely was using the L-10 on "Guitar Blues." But if you think I'm wrong about that, let me know!
mark reinhart

Return to Mister Guitar, Chet Atkins