What is happening to us?

Discussion of history's greatest guitar player.

Re: What is happening to us?

Postby Vidar Lund » Sun Feb 17, 2013 10:03 am

Micah, I saw it with my own eyes here in Norway. I guess your mother wasn´t with him to keep an eye on how he dressed when overseas.
Vidar Lund

Postby rkk2786 » Sun Feb 17, 2013 10:09 am

And I'm telling you he never owned any and would wear them, I really don't care what you think you saw, daddy would never wear them, bottom line. You'll have to show me a picture to make me believe what you saw! No disrespect to you at all, think you are badly mistaken and I don't like the comment you made about my mom!

Micah
rkk2786

Postby Vidar Lund » Sun Feb 17, 2013 10:20 am

Is there anything wrong with owning and wearing an overall? That beats me. It´s a very practical attire.
Vidar Lund

Postby rkk2786 » Sun Feb 17, 2013 10:42 am

Your right there isn't anything wrong with overalls, some of my dearest friends wear them. Daddy would never have worn something like this while out with Chet in the first place, nor did he own any. I can verify this with Steve and Tony as they were on that tour with daddy at the time, I'm positive they would remember this and it would have been a big running joke with them knowing all to well how my dad was.

I'll reach out to them to see what they have to say!

Best regards,
Micah
rkk2786

Postby Vidar Lund » Sun Feb 17, 2013 11:03 am

That would have been the European tour of 1979, the third and last time I saw Chet. There were two parts , one electric and one acoustic with an interlude, in which a young and talented up-and-coming musician performed. He was very good, but I don´t remember his name. Could he have been Steve Wariner? I´ve wondered about that for years. Are you able to verify it for me? Thanks in advance.
Vidar Lund

Postby Tony Enamel » Fri Feb 22, 2013 4:21 pm

Gentlemen,

I'd like to make a more optimistic statement, because I don't see things all that bad as many of the previous posters. In an international perspective, fingerstyle guitar music is niche music for sure. But the internet has made it accessible to a whole new audience.

I'm personally grateful that I'm able to discover old gems through Youtube as well as learning about contemporary pickers. I know young guitarists from Eastern and Northern Germany who fluently picked "Borsalino" with someone like Brooks Robertson (coming from a different part of the world far West) or Joe Robinson (coming from that part of the world far down South). Tommy Emmanuel has talked about visiting Eastern Europe for the first time and immediately playing to large audiences, because they had seen him on Youtube.

I think, once you've found your special musical style it's a lot easier today to dig really deep and connect with people anywhere than it was some decades ago. John Jorgenson, born 1956, once talked about how he thought nobody else was really interested in Django's music when he was young and how great it was to discover through the internet that there were quite a lot of local or regional Django communities spread all over the US and elsewhere that know got to know each other and could support each other. Must be similar with fingerstyle.

My 2 (European) cents ...

Ingo
If it ain't got the groove, the bodies won't move.
Tony Enamel

Postby Mike Nye » Fri Feb 22, 2013 7:22 pm

jdrpicker22 wrote:When I watch the million dollar band, Its so great to see such clean and happy music; not to mention all the talent in one little space!! Why dont we have more of this stuff around today with younger folk, (im 18 and a fingerpicker) all music is now is gangsters, drugs, women, and getting drunk. It makes me upset to think about it and we wonder why our society is going down the pot. If we'd get back to little things in life like good clean entertainment, and turn around back to God this country would be a different place. (sorry im not trying to be political, but i think if Chester were around he'd agree.) RIP Chet, Boots, Danny, Floyd, Gimble.

To answer your question in the simplest form, you must keep in mind that todays music is 99% marketing and 1% talent. Have you tried to have a conversation with a 16 year old kid lately; they're "social hamburger," having limited if any social skills. WHY? because they're texting to others who're sitting right next to 'em -that's why!!!

People of all ages are bombarded with advertising telling them what to buy, whether they need it or not. It's the world we live in -so either accept it, hold to your own personal tastes or hide in a cave. After all, WHY do you think we continue to come to this message board; it's certainly not to discuss the talent (if ya wanna call it that) of Justin Bieber . . .
If BRUTE-FORCE isn't working, you're not using enough ! ! !
Mike Nye

Postby Tony Enamel » Fri Feb 22, 2013 7:31 pm

Mike Nye wrote:todays music is 99% marketing and 1% talent.

This is also today's music.
There's plenty of it around.
You just have to look for it.
Enjoy it.
And spread the word.

Please don't think in stereotypes, when talking about "today's music".
If it ain't got the groove, the bodies won't move.
Tony Enamel

Postby Mike Nye » Fri Feb 22, 2013 7:55 pm

Tony Enamel wrote:
Mike Nye wrote:todays music is 99% marketing and 1% talent.

This is also today's music.
There's plenty of it around.
You just have to look for it.
Enjoy it.
And spread the word.

Please don't think in stereotypes, when talking about "today's music".

You hit on the 1% . . . Watch some of the El Crappo bands on Last Call With Carson Daly some night on NBC ! ! !
If BRUTE-FORCE isn't working, you're not using enough ! ! !
Mike Nye

Postby Eddie Estes » Fri Feb 22, 2013 8:04 pm

Well until it gets played somewhere other than NPR most people are not going to hear it.

The point is that the good music used to be played on commercial stations.
I just don't do the NPR thing. Too many self described intellectuals on there.
Not insulting the listeners but just the vibe NPR gives off.

Eddie
Eddie Estes

PreviousNext

Return to Mister Guitar, Chet Atkins