What is happening to us?

Discussion of history's greatest guitar player.

Re: What is happening to us?

Postby Norm » Fri Feb 15, 2013 11:03 am

I still maintain that the majority of the public would like to hear good music..."

Every generation will dig in its heels and maintain that their music is the "good" music and that stuff that came before them is old and overdone.

Those that control what music we see and hear don't really care what "the majority" want to hear. They're looking to make a buck and in music that means twixt twelve and thirty years of age. Those are the people who spend most of the money on entertainment.

And because the Suits focus on formula, people like Eva Cassidy fall through the cracks. Even when she was being scrutinized by reputable companies she was discarded because she "didn't fit in" anywhere.

Chet kept getting fired because he "didn't fit in anywhere" and if it hadn't been for the Carters he might have just been another great guitarist that had to quit and get a day job. People forget that the Suits in Nashville wanted no part of Atkins. They saw him as a threat to The Business. The Carters gave him a livable income and forced GOO to take Chet as part of their package and Steve Sholes saw something others did not.

Money is what's killing the music, not public taste.
...that's how it looks to me...The opinion expressed above is my own and does not necessarily reflect the views of this station. Your mileage may vary...

Audio samples: http://www.youtube.com/user/acountrygent/videos
That should do it.
Norm

Postby Joey Bowie » Fri Feb 15, 2013 12:41 pm

All we can do is live a good life, fight for what is right, and set a good example for our children and grandchildren. God has a way of pulling us through the bad times and make no mistake, what we are experiencing today in this chaotic society are indeed bad times.
Joey Alves
Joey Bowie

Postby Norm » Fri Feb 15, 2013 12:51 pm

...Funny thing is... forty years from now someone will call this "the good old days"
...that's how it looks to me...The opinion expressed above is my own and does not necessarily reflect the views of this station. Your mileage may vary...

That should do it.
Norm

Postby Joey Bowie » Fri Feb 15, 2013 6:08 pm

Norm wrote:...Funny thing is... forty years from now someone will call this "the good old days"

You're right Norm, but it won't be someone who has the same traditional values as myself and the young man who started this thread. I'm willing to bet that Chet had these same traditional values too.
Joey Alves
Joey Bowie

Postby jdrpicker22 » Fri Feb 15, 2013 6:27 pm

Well I love all of these posts, and to tell the truth I dont fit in with most of people my age, there are some who I am great friends with who are 16-20 and hold the same standards and enjoy the same good music ect that i do; but most of my picking buddies are old enough to be my Dad or Grandpa, and I love it! They are all so nice and they really like my playing because I play their (and my) music and I really owe alot to them because they are always ready to help me or sit down and show me some new lick. BUt I really admire Chet not only because he was a great player but a good person with a great character, I know he would probably tell me he wasnt perfect and he had flaws, but thats shows how great he was because he recognized them. -------Jon
jdrpicker22

Postby Ray Bohlken » Fri Feb 15, 2013 11:42 pm

Just think about all those great old Austin City Limits shows...not just the ones with Chet, Jerry, or Merle either. They were great. There were singers, players, and groups from all styles of music that were just great performers. I still record each new show faithfully, but I usually end up listening to a few moments and then deleting them from the DVR. There have been only a few newer shows that I've watched to their conclusion the last several years and they get fewer each year. I'm sure the Indie bands and singers that appear will appeal to today's watchers, but, mostly, I can't bear to see them all the way through.
Ray
Ray Bohlken

Postby Norm » Sat Feb 16, 2013 1:45 am

That's all well and good Ray but you're still in the "Old Country" box.

Any entertainment industry is money driven and most of the money made in music comes from young people (thirty and younger)

It has little (if anything) to do with the music itself.

That should do it.
Norm

Postby Chuck » Sat Feb 16, 2013 5:44 am

The "narcissistic" comment above is right on in relation to today's "top" pop stars, ie Britney Spears et al. They know just one note really. mi mi mi mi mi
Chuck/Cincinnati
Chuck

Postby PhilHunt » Sat Feb 16, 2013 7:06 am

You mean to tell me you guys aren't a fan of Lady GaGa?? Just Kidding!
Now we know why Chet kind of poked fun at Michael Jackson and Prince in "There'll be Some Changes Made".

I don't mean to sound like a preacher on Sunday but you have to realize certain things: God is being wiped out from among everything. In schools and in various other places. People have no morals. The bible says that Satan is known as the "great deceiver." I really think that part of that deceiving is alot of the things around us. People nowadays are so wrapped up in having the best of everything....the new iPhone, a new BMW, nice clothes, etc. They forget about the simple things in life.
Think about it: Chet wanted nothing to do with the Internet. I remember him saying he was just too old for it.
Things are much easier if you keep your life simple.

Heck, all you have to do is watch tv and see the junk that is on there. I don't even watch anything on there. I like the Western movie channel and AMC and TVLand and that's about it. Plain & Simple: People are corrupted by what they fill their minds with.
PhilHunt

Postby PhilHunt » Sat Feb 16, 2013 8:10 am

One person I use to like listening to about certain things was George Carlin. Only because he would tell us like it is. Especially the Society that we live in and the way terminology has changed over the years. Here's a few examples:

Americans have trouble facing the truth. So they invent a kind of a soft language to protect themselves from it. . . .
Sometime during my life toilet paper became bathroom tissue. . . . Sneakers became running shoes. False teeth became dental appliances. Medicine became medication. Information became directory assistance. The dump became the landfill. Car crashes became automobile accidents. Partly cloudy became partly sunny. Motels became motor lodges. House trailers became mobile homes. Used cars became previously owned transportation. Room service became guest room dining. Constipation became occasional irregularity. Died became Past away. Blind became visually impaired. Deaf became hearing impaired. Crippled became Physically challenged. Old people became senior citizens.

Just thought you guys might get a kick out of this......sorry for not being Chet related.....we need a good laugh once in awhile.
PhilHunt

PreviousNext

Return to Mister Guitar, Chet Atkins