Acrylic Nails on Rt. Hand

Discussion of history's greatest guitar player.

Acrylic Nails on Rt. Hand

Postby ajbremer » Thu Feb 07, 2013 10:10 pm

Years ago I used to get my nails done on my Rt. hand so that I would be pick'in with a sharper crispier tone. I haven't had an electric guitar CountryGent style till now. I just got my new Ibanez Hollow body and it has a Bigsby style Ibanez bar on it so now I'm excited about being able to 'try' and play those kinds of Chet tunes. BUT...

I've never been able to grow strong nails so I think I'm going to go back to getting my nails done. This will help me produce a crispier sharper tone. At least that's what I'm thinking? Am I on the right track? Right now my higher melody notes are not sounding out like I'd like them to. I believe it's because of too much flesh plucking the string and not a nail. Comments would be appreciated.

One more thing, now that I want to get that CG Chet sound, what is the best kind and size of strings to buy?
ajbremer

Re: Acrylic Nails on Rt. Hand

Postby Norm » Thu Feb 07, 2013 11:51 pm

Since you used to have your nails done you're the better judge of whether you're on the right track for that. If it worked for you before it should work for you now

Your strings won't make a Yamaha sound like a Gretsch or Gibson CG so I, for one, have no advice there
...that's how it looks to me...The opinion expressed above is my own and does not necessarily reflect the views of this station. Your mileage may vary...

Audio samples: http://www.youtube.com/user/acountrygent/videos
That should do it.
Norm

Postby ajbremer » Fri Feb 08, 2013 12:21 am

Thank you Norm...

al
ajbremer

Postby ajbremer » Fri Feb 08, 2013 10:17 pm

ajbremer

Return to Mister Guitar, Chet Atkins