Question For John Knowles cgp

Discussion of history's greatest guitar player.

Question For John Knowles cgp

Postby bill_h » Mon Jan 28, 2013 1:11 am

John,
I just got around to purchasing Chet In Three Dimensions Vol 2 not long ago. I read in your interview where you said Chet would sing into the soundhole on his guitar sometimes. Would you mind elaborating a little for us here on the Chetboard? Was he singing the chromatic scale?

I also got a kick out of reading about how Chet hung up on Joe Namath and Johnny Mercer because he thought it was Norro Wilson doing impressions. I got to know Norro a little when I "officially" lived in Nashville. Norro even got to where he did a pretty good impression of me.
bill_h

Re: Question For John Knowles cgp

Postby John Knowles » Mon Jan 28, 2013 4:00 am

Bill, I remember Chet singing into the soundhole of a classical guitar to look for the note that made the box resonate. It's usually around G or G# on the 6th string. He also had a way of using a pencil and an index card to check the fret placement. He would use that if he were suspicious of a guitar's intonation. I'm glad you enjoyed the interview. I remember enjoying telling the stories. John
John Knowles

Postby Norm » Mon Jan 28, 2013 11:26 am

Hi John

This " pencil and an index card to check the fret placement" caught my eye. Can you briefly describe what went on there?
...that's how it looks to me...The opinion expressed above is my own and does not necessarily reflect the views of this station. Your mileage may vary...

Audio samples: http://www.youtube.com/user/acountrygent/videos
That should do it.
Norm

Postby bill_h » Wed Jan 30, 2013 1:03 pm

Thanks John.

I have an inexpensive Vantage steel string. The D note, 6th string 10th fret, sounds as good as on any guitar ever built. I'm going to try singing some notes into the sound hole and see if I get similar results. Of course, if only every note sounded as good as the D note on that guitar. ( And my singing will leave a lot to be desired as well. I'll only be singing for educational purposes!)
bill_h

Postby Norm » Wed Jan 30, 2013 4:59 pm

When I used to work in a music store sometimes I would sing into the soundhole, particularly on a good classic. I used to smell them at the soundhole too. Hard to describe what I was looking for on the smell test. Green wood had a different aroma than seasoned wood and we've all known the sharp, acidic odor of old instruments. It was a combination of sensory input you glean as you learn how to examine a guitar.

Like a DI examining a rifle.
...that's how it looks to me...The opinion expressed above is my own and does not necessarily reflect the views of this station. Your mileage may vary...

That should do it.
Norm

Postby jay » Wed Jan 30, 2013 7:44 pm

Norm,
Good thing you didnt sell shoes.
jay kantor
jay

Postby Norm » Wed Jan 30, 2013 8:58 pm

no kidding

That should do it.
Norm

Return to Mister Guitar, Chet Atkins