Rusty Russell - Chet Atkins book?

Discussion of history's greatest guitar player.

Re: Rusty Russell - Chet Atkins book?

Postby Norm » Mon Nov 26, 2012 1:28 pm

I think it never got finished.
I just did a google for it and it looks like it got picked up by Hal Leonard but is unavailable anywhere. There's a story behind that, I'm sure.

He currently is a photographer with a studio in Nashville apparently. Maybe someone local could actually call him and see what the scoop is
...that's how it looks to me...The opinion expressed above is my own and does not necessarily reflect the views of this station. Your mileage may vary...

Audio samples: http://www.youtube.com/user/acountrygent/videos
That should do it.
Norm

Postby Vidar Lund » Tue Nov 27, 2012 2:58 pm

Vidar Lund

Postby Norm » Tue Nov 27, 2012 4:43 pm

I had it on Amazon pre-order when that cover first got shown around years ago. Then a notice got passed that it was unavailable. No explaination. Odd, too, because Hal Leonard was doing the publishing
...that's how it looks to me...The opinion expressed above is my own and does not necessarily reflect the views of this station. Your mileage may vary...

That should do it.
Norm

Postby guitarchuck » Tue Nov 27, 2012 7:40 pm

Norm,
I had it on order too and got a similar response. Rusty Russell did a really nice article on Chet in Guitar Player Magazine right after Chet passed. I believe the article was called "Giant".

Here's some info from the old Chetboard that I just found in a Google search:

The ChetBoard Archives

Rusty Russell's book about Chet

Posted By: Russ Cochran <russ@russcochran.com> (12.160.118.15)
Date: 6/8/05 at 7:49 p.m.

Some time ago, maybe a year or more, there was talk on the fretboard of a new book about Chet by Rusty Russell, who I think is a Nashville writer or photographer. I seem to remember I saw the book advertised on Amazon, but never heard any more about it. Was the book ever published, and if not, does anyone know why not?

The ChetBoard Archives

Re: Rusty Russell's book about Chet

Posted By: Jim Coleman <es350jc@aol.com> (205.188.117.72)
Date: 6/13/05 at 11:51 a.m.

I spoke to Rusty Russell this morning about his book. He does have a publisher and the book is scheduled to come out in the fall of this year.

The ChetBoard Archives

Re: Another try. Another idea.

Posted By: kelly Johnson <kelly@thumbslinger.com> (71.42.186.18)
Date: 6/26/07 at 6:24 p.m.

Rusty Russell had been working on a great book. But, a publisher who shant be named, didn't really keep the funds to support him going at it full-time.

That's when I had my 15 minutes of fantasy-land... when I was at his house, he let look at a couple of the items he had at the time which included a notebook with notes and such from about 1955 through 1978-ish or so.

Handwritten chord diagrams, typed lyrics taped inside with chords written in above... a letter to Lenny Breau's mom... it was pretty cool.

That was enough for me, coupled with the music, to know the man that will forever have an impact on guitar music and people
guitarchuck

Postby Norm » Tue Nov 27, 2012 8:50 pm

But, a publisher who shant be named, didn't really keep the funds to support him going at it full-time..."

Hal Leonard (who apparently had the book for a while) is a pretty good publisher. They printed the MAMG book and the Bigsby book.

I'm hoping to have them pick up my Paul Yandell book. I can't imagine them (or any other publisher) paying "funds to support someone 'going at it full time'..." I think an established author might get a bigger advance and more assist.

But then, I don't know... maybe they do. I really don't know. Could be whoever was working with as an editor got overruled by his superior. Too bad it died though...

That should do it.
Norm

Return to Mister Guitar, Chet Atkins