Paul Yandell ads

Discussion of history's greatest guitar player.

Paul Yandell ads

Postby PhilHunt » Mon Nov 12, 2012 9:47 am

Some of you probably aren't aware that Paul had some ads featuring him...and correct me if I'm wrong, but that looks like Paul in between ol' Possum and the Louvins!
Attachments
Paul & Louvin Brothers,Ernest Tubb.jpg
cdc0_12.jpg
Paul Yan pic.jpg
PhilHunt

Re: Paul Yandell ads

Postby Ray Bohlken » Mon Nov 12, 2012 11:39 am

Phil, thanks for these great photos...I've never seen any of these. It's a real treat and I appreciate it.
Ray
Ray Bohlken

Postby EddieP » Mon Nov 12, 2012 12:36 pm

My friend Freddie Russell has a Electra that Paul and Jimmy Capps both owned. He got it from Gayle Moseley who got it from Paul, and Freddie plays it at church now. I also remember some Fender acoustic guitar commercials that I used to see Paul on back in the mid 80's on TNN.
EddieP

Postby Richard Hudson » Mon Nov 12, 2012 2:11 pm

That has to be Paul standing next to Charlie Louvin. I remember years ago when I would read everything I could find out about Chet, and in reading the liner notes on his albums I would notice Paul Yandell mentioned. I remember thinking to myself that this guy must be pretty good that Chet would use him that much on his recordings. Little did I know that many years later I would have the opportunity to meet Paul and find out first hand that he really was that good. And not only that, but he turned out to be one of the very best friends I have ever had. I really miss him.
Richard Hudson

Postby rkk2786 » Mon Nov 12, 2012 2:26 pm

Guys the videos of Chet that have been posted, and all the pictures of Chet, Jerry, Lenny and Dad is what the Chet board is all about, it's all about the life and music of Chet, all of this brings new excitement and pleasure for everyone. I have really enjoyed seeing all of this today! Thanks to all that shared this and brought this to us to enjoy!

Best regards,
Micah Yandell
rkk2786

Postby Norm » Mon Nov 12, 2012 4:41 pm

Good to see you posting, ol' hoss...
...that's how it looks to me...The opinion expressed above is my own and does not necessarily reflect the views of this station. Your mileage may vary...

Audio samples: http://www.youtube.com/user/acountrygent/videos
That should do it.
Norm

Postby craigdobbins » Mon Nov 12, 2012 5:49 pm

Enjoying all the pics, Phil. There are several I haven't seen.

I have both of those Paul Yandell ads in old Guitar Player magazines. If I remember right, Paul told me he installed an Electra compressor in Jerry's Les Paul, the one he used on "East Bound and Down." Several of Jerry's records from the mid-70's have a lot of Les Paul instead of Tele.

Craig
craigdobbins

Postby Norm » Mon Nov 12, 2012 6:07 pm

He used an Electra phaser for Chet's 59. That was the final mod on that guitar. You can see the red switch for it on page 89 of MAMG. It's between the lower volume knobs.

He had to cut a hole in the back of the guitar to do this. (shiver)

Paul had nerves of steel. Cutting holes in the D'Angelico must have been a real nerve wracking thing. Or not. He was pretty meticulous and I'm sure was from the "measure twice cut once" school.
...that's how it looks to me...The opinion expressed above is my own and does not necessarily reflect the views of this station. Your mileage may vary...

Audio samples: http://www.youtube.com/user/acountrygent/videos
That should do it.
Norm

Postby rkk2786 » Mon Nov 12, 2012 6:33 pm

Yea, I was there when the hole was cut in the D'Angelico, he sure did his home work before proceeding on that project. We still lived in East Nashville when that was done and I held the guitar steady outside one afternoon on a cardboard box with a towel under on a concrete patio it so it didn't scratch it while he cut it. He had a home made saw with tape on the back of the blade and cut it by hand, I still have the saw and all his files and tools he used to work on guitars, a lot of them were home made.

Micah Yandell
rkk2786

Postby John Trahan » Mon Nov 12, 2012 6:37 pm

Micah,
What a treasure to have such memories of working along side your dad. I'm sure when you hold those tools, it all comes back to you. I, too, am really happy to see all these recent posts getting back to what the Chetboard was designed for. It makes me want to come back more often just to see what's new.

Blessings!

John Trahan
John Trahan

Next

Return to Mister Guitar, Chet Atkins