Tommy Crook's playing on youtube

Discussion of history's greatest guitar player.

Tommy Crook's playing on youtube

Postby rhirvine » Fri Oct 08, 2010 4:20 pm

I'm always scouting youtube for guitarists performances that i've missed and came upon some by Tommy Crook who plays in Austin Texas so I'll probably never get to see him live as I live in California. I ordered a CD from him some years back of his favorite songs including San Antonio Rose. In those days anything I heard out of him was more on the harmonic side with lots of chords etc. he played an octobass. What I came across lately on youtube is his playing a lot of hot single note lead as if he's been influenced by Tommy Emmanual, Richard Smith and others. There is currently on youtube his rendition of San Antonio Rose where he really rips it up with some very fast single note jazzy lines. He pulls it off fine, it's just that I was surprised to hear him playing that way. Any he was backed by a bass player and someone else (maybe on drums).
rhirvine

Re: Tommy Crook's playing on youtube

Postby guitarchuck » Fri Oct 08, 2010 5:09 pm

Tommy Crook plays in Tulsa, Oklahoma.
guitarchuck

Postby Mike Nye » Fri Oct 08, 2010 11:35 pm

guitarchuck wrote:Tommy Crook plays in Tulsa, Oklahoma.

I think it's a Chinese or Thai Restarauant . . .

His version of San Antonio Rose KICKS ASS ! ! !
If BRUTE-FORCE isn't working, you're not using enough ! ! !
Mike Nye

Postby rhirvine » Sat Oct 09, 2010 3:11 pm

guitarchuck wrote:Tommy Crook plays in Tulsa, Oklahoma.

I'm glad to see someone is paying attention to my posts! That's right, Tulsa Oklahoma. Also Tommy Crook taught another great fingerstyllist the underpinnings for his great artistry who also comes from Oklahoma, Tuck Arness who does amazing stuff on the guitar himself. I got a chance to see him and his wife who is a jazz singer perform up in Seattle a few years back.
rhirvine

Postby cgprnd » Sun Oct 10, 2010 2:38 pm

Rich, I remember Tommy Crook being mentioned here sometime back and that someone told us that Chet was a fan of his and would stop in to watch him perform when he was in that area.

Rande
Rande Dager
cgprnd

Postby rhirvine » Sun Oct 10, 2010 8:07 pm

That doesn't surprise me that Chet liked and admired Tommy's playing. Tommy Crook seems like he's one of those guys like Tommy Emmanuel, Richard Smith, Scotty Anderson, Phil Emmanuel and a few others who you could add to the list that can do just about anything they want to on guitar even fast single note lines, improvised harmony etc.
rhirvine

Return to Mister Guitar, Chet Atkins