Chet On TV articles

Discussion of history's greatest guitar player.

Chet On TV articles

Postby John C. » Tue Jul 24, 2012 9:54 am

Was wondering if anyone had any comments, positive or negative, regarding the first 2 articles I wrote about Chet's TV appearances in the Mister Guitar journal.

Both Dr. Pritcher & Pat Kirtley were very supportive & generous to devote 5 pages (instead of the normal 4) to each installment, but I'm wondering what direction to take as I prepare to write the final 2 parts. Did you feel there was too much information (exact dates, songs performed, etc.); maybe you found yourself smiling as you remembered watching a certain performance for the first time; did you go to YouTube to find a certain clip, etc.

Mark, Pat & I are a bit concerned as to "information overkill" as the next article would include not only the Hee Haw Million Dollar Band appearances, but the premiere of TNN & Chet's many, many appearances on that network. Just wanted to get some thoughts & opinions. Thanks in advance.

John C.
John C.

Re: Chet On TV articles

Postby BillB » Tue Jul 24, 2012 11:41 am

I thought it was very interesting, and I'm impressed with how much research had to go into that.

Bill B.
BillB

Postby PhilHunt » Tue Jul 24, 2012 1:41 pm

John,
One thing you might wanna bring up is the Martin Mull tv show with Chet and George Benson and how this was suppose to be a promo for their LP that was suppose to be released by Warner Brothers but was scrapped.
If you need any help let me know....I have tons of stuff on youtube and much more in my collection that is not on youtube.
Phil Hunt
(muzikman74) youtube name
p.s- by the way....do you do any trading of Chet dvd's? I have tons.
PhilHunt

Postby Ray Bohlken » Tue Jul 24, 2012 3:14 pm

John, I enjoyed reading the Chet On TV articles and I really appreciated the info. I'm sure that was a task to research all that. I managed to record a lot of Chet's appearances on PBS, TNN, and other places such as the Tonight show. I used to wonder what I had missed regarding Chet on tv and now I kind of know...I missed a bunch. :D
Ray
Ray Bohlken

Postby DWolfram » Tue Jul 24, 2012 3:28 pm

John, I have enjoyed your articles as is.

But I haven't seen in your listings the time Chet was on the Johnny Carson show, maybe late 60's or early 70's, and played Tiger Rag. A great performance that I have been searching for on a video. He may have done another tune earlier because he played Tiger sitting next to Johnny rather than on the stage.

Chetfully yours,
David
DWolfram

Postby guitarchuck » Tue Jul 24, 2012 6:26 pm

John,
I really enjoyed your articles. I'm a details person. I don't know about everyone else, but the more facts and details the better I like it. I use articles like this for reference material. I save all my Mister Guitar issues for reference. I wish there was a better way to look up the Chet Atkins videos on YouTube. I would like to get a list of just the videos by Chet. It seems you put "Chet Atkins" in the search and no telling what will come up in the search. Anyway, keep up the good work!
guitarchuck

Postby John C. » Wed Jul 25, 2012 10:43 am

Thanks to all who responded & for the kind words.

Bill & Ray - Yes, the research took a lot of time, but it really is a "labor of love" as they say.

Chuck - I also keep all the back issues & find myself "revisiting" them all the time.

David - It's possible the Carson appearance no longer exists. Many of Johnny's pre-1972 New York shows were erased decades ago. "Tiger Rag" on the couch! Man, I'd love to see that! BTW, both of Chet's appearances on the David Frost Show were also erased. Does anyone here have audio tapes of them?

Phil - First, always enjoy your playing/teaching videos on YT; please do some more when you have the time. The Chet/George appearance was actually the Merv Griffin Show; Martin Mull was the guest host. Chet mentions he & George recorded an album, but the show was a spotlight for the Frets Magazine awards. It aired on March 5, 1984.

Thanks again everyone!
John C.

Postby DWolfram » Wed Jul 25, 2012 12:52 pm

John,
Another topic of triva is the times Chet's music was used in the background of Tv shows or commercials.

Of course right now Jam Man is featured in the esurance commercials. Not too long ago Sandman(195*) was used in St Josephs' asprins. And much further back for a Wide World of Sports billards championship Chets Goodnight Irene(Our Man in Nashville) opened that show and was used throughout.
I have heard him playing in the background numerous times in the handyman, diy shows on PBS.

Anyone else hear Chet in those types of scenarios?

Chetfuly yours,
David
DWolfram

Postby RandeDager » Wed Jul 25, 2012 3:07 pm

David, I've heard a few of those too. What bothers me is that they aren't a good indicator of his level of expertise. I remember a guy with me during one of those commercials asking me if I knew who was playing and when I told him it was Chet Atkins, he responded "Oh, I thought he was supposed to be something special". In other words, they didn't showcase his talent, but then how would a song like "Get On With It" or "Hellacious" sound behind a commercial anyway?.....lol
Rande
RandeDager

Postby DWolfram » Wed Jul 25, 2012 3:23 pm

Rande,
I hear what you're saying. Chet fans can't hear enough of Chet no matter the circumstance. Sometimes the background music is too low to appreciate the song by a non Chet fan or sound bites are just played here and there.

In the case of Sandman,though, the opening barrs are pretty recognizable and the tune is out front for a number of barrs more to make it appreciable. With GoodNight Irene the volume was high enough at the start to easily be heard over the commentator and the sound bites,as I remember, were long enough to get the gist of the entire song. Sigh. But never enough for us,

Chetfully yours,
David
DWolfram

Next

Return to Mister Guitar, Chet Atkins