Need help with song ending

Discussion of history's greatest guitar player.

Need help with song ending

Postby Tom Workman » Mon Sep 27, 2010 2:27 pm

Good afternoon, fellow thumb-pickers...
I need some help with the ending of Chet's and Mark Knopfler's recording of "I'll See You in my Dreams". It sounds simple enough but, other than the bass notes (G# and G as I hear it), I'm having trouble deciphering the chord shapes. I can usually figure these things out on my own eventually but, figured I'd go the lazy route and see if anyone here could help me out. Thanks, Tom W.
Tom Workman

Re: Need help with song ending

Postby tyguy » Mon Sep 27, 2010 5:20 pm

Tom Workman wrote:Good afternoon, fellow thumb-pickers...
I need some help with the ending of Chet's and Mark Knopfler's recording of "I'll See You in my Dreams". It sounds simple enough but, other than the bass notes (G# and G as I hear it), I'm having trouble deciphering the chord shapes. I can usually figure these things out on my own eventually but, figured I'd go the lazy route and see if anyone here could help me out. Thanks, Tom W.

Ab(G#)on low E stg w/3rd fngr_F# on D stng w/pinky_Bb on G stng w/2nd fngr_C on B stng w/1st fngr.It's a 4 fret stretch.This is simply a b5 sub for D7 aug.Next chord is G on low E w/3rd fngr._F on D stng w/pinky_A on G stng w/2nd fngr_C on B stng w/1st fngr.This is a G sus add 9.Next chord is C on A stng 2nd fngr–E on D stng 1st fngr_A on G stng 1st fngr_D on B stng 3rd fngr.The last chord I'd have to listen to again 'cause I play it a little different but if you need,will get back to you.I edited best I could if any errors let me know.Western music(classical/jazz or otherwise) is basically 5 to 1 eg. D7 to G7 to C etc.(what Merle called a round robin).A flat 5 can be subbed for a 5 chord eg..The Ab for the D(Ab is the b5 of D)in this case.A good ear is good but a good ear and knowing a little theory helps a lot.For simplicity(especially keyboard players)most folks would label the G sus add 9 chord as an F/G but that's not what it "sounds like" because it's 5 to 1 eg. D7(Ab)to G to C.Guitar is the most difficult instrument to play well and Bless these arrangers like Chet and others who give us their talent.Chet's San Antonio Rose intro on You Tube is a beautiful example of 5 to 1 chord substitution. The Best Ty M.
tyguy

Postby tyguy » Mon Sep 27, 2010 5:22 pm

tyguy wrote:
Tom Workman wrote:Good afternoon, fellow thumb-pickers...

Ab(G#)on low E stg w/3rd fngr_F# on D stng w/pinky_Bb on G stng w/2nd fngr_C on B stng w/1st fngr.It's a 4 fret stretch.This is simply a b5 sub for D7 aug.Next chord is G on low E w/3rd fngr._F on D stng w/pinky_A on G stng w/2nd fngr_C on B stng w/1st fngr.This is a G sus add 9.Next chord is C on A stng 2nd fngr–E on D stng 1st fngr_A on G stng 1st fngr_D on B stng 3rd fngr.The last chord I'd have to listen to again 'cause I play it a little different but if you need,will get back to you.I edited best I could if any errors let me know.Western music(classical/jazz or otherwise) is basically 5 to 1 eg. D7 to G7 to C etc.(what Merle called a round robin).A flat 5 can be subbed for a 5 chord eg..The Ab for the D(Ab is the b5 of D)in this case.A good ear is good but a good ear and knowing a little theory helps a lot.For simplicity(especially keyboard players)most folks would label the G sus add 9 chord as an F/G but that's not what it "sounds like" because it's 5 to 1 eg. D7(Ab)to G to C.Guitar is the most difficult instrument to play well and Bless these arrangers like Chet and others who give us their talent.Chet's San Antonio Rose intro on You Tube is a beautiful example of 5 to 1 chord substitution. The Best Ty M.

Wanted to commend you on using your ear instead of going the "paint by number"(tab) route.Keep using your ear and you'll be miles ahead of most players.
tyguy

Postby Tom Workman » Mon Sep 27, 2010 8:15 pm

Thank you so much tyguy for such a detailed explanation. I use tab when I get in a pinch but, I find it labor intensive. I've been playing fingerstyle since around 1966 and can pick things up fairly quickly by listening and watching. That generally works better for me. Thanks, again. -Tom W.
Tom Workman

Postby tyguy » Mon Sep 27, 2010 9:03 pm

Tom Workman wrote:Thank you so much tyguy for such a detailed explanation. I use tab when I get in a pinch but, I find it labor intensive. I've been playing fingerstyle since around 1966 and can pick things up fairly quickly by listening and watching. That generally works better for me. Thanks, again. -Tom W.

For the last chord I like this.You can try it:bar all strings except low E at 12th fret,play C on 2nd stng 13th fret w/2nd fngr.Sweep thru these notes low to high:ADGCE(let it ring).Then I add F#(#4)at 14th fret on high E.Reach up with right hand and play C bass note on low E stng 8th fret while all is ringing. The Best, Ty M.
tyguy

Return to Mister Guitar, Chet Atkins