Chet's TV viewing

Discussion of history's greatest guitar player.

Chet's TV viewing

Postby Steve Sanders » Sat Sep 25, 2010 9:03 pm

We all know Chet listened to tons of recordings over the years. And sometimes ya just gotta put that guitar down for awhile. I reckon that's why Chet played a little golf. But I was wondering what did Chet like to watch on TV. Maybe only Paul Yandell can answer this. I read somewhere Mrs. Atkins liked to watch the Atlanta Braves baseball. Boy, if we would'a had a VCR way back when can you imagine all the good shows Chet was on that we may never see again! There is SOME advantage to gittin' old.........ain't there?! Steve Sanders
Steve Sanders

Re: Chet's TV viewing

Postby Paul Doty » Sat Sep 25, 2010 9:45 pm

I don't know in particular, but he said somewhere that he and Leona did NOT like sit-coms. Seems he sometimes watched golf tournaments with the sound down and a guitar in his lap, and I think I recall that he was partial to NBC programs for years as a matter of "corporate loyalty", more than a high regard for the programming. These are recollections from probably 2 or 3 different sources and of course, my memory (like most everything else) isn't what it used to be.
Paul Doty

Postby thenorm » Sat Sep 25, 2010 10:08 pm

I wouldn't think Chet was much for watching TV on a regular basis, particularly before he had his brain surgery. Perhaps after that he may have settled into some TV but TV is essentially a time killer/waster and creative people get easily bored by TV.

That's been my experience with self and friends. Sports, maybe. I'm not a sport nut by any stretch but I can see people getting into one sport or another but most sports are seasonal.
thenorm

Postby Dale See » Mon Sep 27, 2010 6:46 pm

Well, I know this string was started over a week ago, but I was waiting for someone to jump in and mention the Jerry Springer Show. I distinctly remember Paul playing in the Ohio room at CAAS about 5 or 6 years ago and he told a story about Chet calling him up and telling him his "kin" was on the Springer show.
Dale See

Postby tyguy » Mon Sep 27, 2010 7:20 pm

Dale See wrote:Well, I know this string was started over a week ago, but I was waiting for someone to jump in and mention the Jerry Springer Show. I distinctly remember Paul playing in the Ohio room at CAAS about 5 or 6 years ago and he told a story about Chet calling him up and telling him his "kin" was on the Springer show.

Lots of people here in East TN. have been on the Springer show.That show is like a tornado as it loves trailer parks. The best, Ty M.
tyguy

Postby Ray Cummins » Mon Sep 27, 2010 9:41 pm

I have a cassette somewhere when Chet was on TV and he said he was relaxing and watching more TV. This was around 1978-80. He also said he kept his VCR ready to tape, new jokes, ideas, etc.
Ray Cummins

Postby albertgen » Tue Sep 28, 2010 12:34 pm

I read somewhere once that Chet was big on watching the history channel. Al
albertgen

Return to Mister Guitar, Chet Atkins