Paul Yandell

Discussion of history's greatest guitar player.

Re: Paul Yandell

Postby Mike Nye » Wed Jun 27, 2012 12:19 am

craigdobbins wrote:Just a reminder, folks- remember that Marie and Micah (Paul's wife and son) read the posts here on the CB.

Thanks,

Craig

as I'm sure Chet & Paul do also . . .
If BRUTE-FORCE isn't working, you're not using enough ! ! !
Mike Nye

Postby RandeDager » Wed Jun 27, 2012 1:39 pm

I want to say that I was quite impressed that Paul would take time to set up a few of the Gretsch's that some of you own. I know that Ken Goddard's 6122-1959 was set up by Paul. That is my dream guitar (if not the HOF) and I deeply regret not
having access to Paul when that time comes. Of course, I miss Paul in general. He always addressed me by name and he always responded to my personal emails and was very generous in talking with me backstage at Chet's concerts over the years since 1977 when I first met him.

I also witnessed first hand what he did for Phil and Eddie at CAAS in 2009 when he put them on stage for the Jerry tribute.

This will be my first CAAS opportunity since then and my first attendance without Paul being there. I just wish I could be there for the entire event, including the day before. Hopefully next year.

Roger, I really miss you on here also. I hope to see you at the convention in a couple of weeks!
Rande
RandeDager

Postby Norm » Wed Jun 27, 2012 2:01 pm

Nice story Bill.

Let me edit it a bit. I'll send you a rewrite for your approval
...that's how it looks to me...The opinion expressed above is my own and does not necessarily reflect the views of this station. Your mileage may vary...

Audio samples: http://www.youtube.com/user/acountrygent/videos
That should do it.
Norm

Postby Eddie Estes » Wed Jun 27, 2012 2:41 pm

It was humbling at least for me to be on that stage. You are right Rande. Paul made that happen for us.
For that matter Paul and his family are responsible for Phil and me playing at the HOF.

He was one of a kind. This year at CAAS will be fun but there will be a huge empty spot for me because
Paul won't be there. He will be in spirit though!!!

Eddie
Eddie Estes

Postby BillB » Wed Jun 27, 2012 6:18 pm

I remember being there when that all came about for Eddie and Phil to be on stage for the Jerry Reed tribute, and might I add that they did a great job. I'm looking forward to hearing you guys pick some this year.

Paul also adjusted the neck on my Nashville Classic that same year.

Rande,
I think you helped me pick out a guitar that year. I'll look forward to seeing you this time as well.

Norm,
I'm glad you like the story. I emailed someone else to see if they knew who the kid was, but I haven't heard back. I'd be interested in hearing him share his experience, if I could find out who it was.

Bill
BillB

Postby RandeDager » Wed Jun 27, 2012 11:39 pm

Yes Bill, I believe that there were two Matons that you were playing. I played them both and chose one of them as "the best" of the two and you bought it. It was a personal preference and you would have had to agree with me. I also seem to remember some minor but almost unnoticeable cosmetic damage that helped to bring down the price.

I'm really glad that I'll see you there! You and I are never sure from one year to the next.
Rande
RandeDager

Postby BillB » Thu Jun 28, 2012 12:08 am

Rande,
There was one guitar that I looked at did have a little damage, and it was a great deal. However, it was not the one that I bought, mainly because it had different electronics. I did get the one that both you and I (and Glenn Burgin) liked. It was the TE model that had the under bridge and inside mic setup. And I got a pretty good deal on it. I basically told them how much I could afford to spend, and they were able to make the deal. I'm still very happy about it. Not sure just yet which guitar I'll be bringing this year.

Bill B.
BillB

Previous

Return to Mister Guitar, Chet Atkins