Paul Yandell

Discussion of history's greatest guitar player.

Paul Yandell

Postby craigdobbins » Thu Jun 21, 2012 7:48 pm

Just a reminder, folks- remember that Marie and Micah (Paul's wife and son) read the posts here on the CB.

Thanks,

Craig
craigdobbins

Re: Paul Yandell

Postby Wes Southerland » Thu Jun 21, 2012 8:16 pm

I want to take a moment to tell the Yandell family how important Paul's contributiions are to the fingerstyle guitar community. Without him we would have advanced quite less. He will always be on my mind as a important artist and first class individual. I met him several times and spoke on the phone and email several more. I always found him extremely helpful and knowledgeable. A rare talent in a bunch of areas that i was interested in. Just wanted you to know.
Thanks,
Wes
Wes Southerland

Postby PhilHunt » Fri Jun 22, 2012 3:55 pm

You took the words right out of my mouth Craig.
Phil
PhilHunt

Postby Norm » Fri Jun 22, 2012 4:52 pm

I don't think there are many of you folks who have a grasp on the information Paul made available on this site over the years because it was spread out in little bits, dribs and drabs. I can remember a couple of times having disagreements with him on some matters but we were always able to work it out to everyone's satisfaction. I'm sorry to hear that Jack had the unpleasantness described. It seemed so unlike him. I wish I'd known about it at the time, I might have been able to mediate the issue.

As some of you know I'm working on a Life and Times book about Paul. He was an imperfect human being, as we all are, but from what my source material has shown he tried his best to help people understand guitars and Chet Atkins and Jerry Reed. His views on the country musicians life during the 'golden age' are fascinating and the detailed lore of equipment and recording in those days is priceless. He seldom had anything really negative to say about anyone. Having said that, misunderstandings could get prickly sometimes but usually they can be worked out. It's sad when they didn't.
...that's how it looks to me...The opinion expressed above is my own and does not necessarily reflect the views of this station. Your mileage may vary...

Audio samples: http://www.youtube.com/user/acountrygent/videos
That should do it.
Norm

Postby BillB » Fri Jun 22, 2012 6:12 pm

Norm,
I just thought of a nice story about Paul from the first time I attended CAAS. I just happened to be there and witness him helping out a young picker. I don't have a lot of time right now, but I will get back to you later on and make sure you have it. I think it's a pretty good one, and it's possible that I posted about it way back then. But I will share it again just in case.

Bill B.
BillB

Postby jay » Sat Jun 23, 2012 12:07 pm

Jack,

A tremendous post that we all should keep in mind. Pride goeth before the fall and you have illustrated how you are no worse for the wear, overlooking what you felt was an indiscriminate remark...Obviously not forgetting that it was made, but overlooking a weakness promised to us all at birth....we are and will be fallible through our life's journey. And we must keep in mind, every event is individually seen, experienced and remembered, to some degree, differently by every one of us.
Paul was as much a gentleman, as he was gifted. He also made us common "posers" feel like we were his next door neighbor. No wonder he and Chet were a beautifully matched pair.

I was able to take a couple of pictures of Chet (and Paul) around 1980 with the Amarillo Symphony. I wrote Chet (not expecting a response) and asked if I sent him a couple of pictures, would he autograph them. Damned, if he didn't send me a letter back stating "only if you send one for me". Sure enough I sent him a couple and he returned mine autographed and one that I sent him (of him and Paul and the symphony) actually ended up on Paul's website. I had told Paul about the story and he said it was very common of Chet to do that and he remembers someone getting those pictures when they were cleaning his office and some did end up being put on his webpage.

Two peas in a pod.
jay kantor
jay

Postby rhudson » Sat Jun 23, 2012 1:06 pm

Paul Yandell was like a big brother to me. He signed two of my guitars for me. My Nashville Classic and my CE both have Paul's signature on them. Paul had the unique ability to address a situation in very few words. His loyalty and love for his friends were steadfast and true. We always had an evening meal with Paul and Marie every year at the CAAS, usually the first night. It's a shame that there was so much distance between us. It just wasn't practical to drive 700 miles to visit for a while and then 700 miles back home, but we did stay in touch via telephone and emails. It would be impossible for me to describe how much help and encouragement to me Paul was. Every time I would get hung up on a song or tune, Paul always had the answer. Paul knew every one of Chet's licks and chords and he had his own way of telling me what they were over the phone when we would talk, but it was always crystal clear and right on the button. When I would be recording music, I would always run it by Paul for his critique. Why he didn't tell me to bug off, I'll never know, but I do know. It was that big brother thing I talked about earlier. Paul would ask me if I was writing or working on any new songs. If he didn't, I would ask him. The most memorable to me was when he told me he was working on a new arrangement for I'll See You In My Dreams. What a great arrangement that was. It was so uniquely Paul. Paul played Chet's style, but he played it in his own way. I got to know Chet through Paul. Even though it was never my privilege to meet Chet in person, I got to know so very much more about him because of Paul. Paul's loyalty to Chet was never wavering. And his defense of Chet and his legacy was rock solid. When Chet's daughter, Merle, presented Paul with the last CGP award, you could tell, not only by her words but by the look in her eyes, that she was only doing what her Daddy had always wanted to do, but wouldn't because Paul wouldn't let him. Merle, in her own words, said that Paul was her Daddy's best friend. They were a great team together. I will always be grateful to Merle for doing this for Paul, because I know it meant so much to him. Paul Yandell, CGP. It just looks like it always should have been that way.

I loved Paul Yandell and I will always remember him for the true friend he was. I think about him every day, and many of those times, it brings me to tears just thinking about what a great friend he was. I feel a little bit lost now because there was only one Paul. No one else had his knowledge and expertise. I don't have anyone to ask those questions now.

If I could make but one request, I would ask that we please be respectful of Paul's memory. That is not aimed at anyone in particular but maybe you don't realize how it hurts to see or hear anything unkind about him. We have always been respectful of Chet, and I would ask that we extend that same courtesy to Paul. It has been very difficult for me to sit down and write all of this because of the memories it brings back. I am trying to see what I am writing now through tear filled eyes. Life goes on, and I am a much better person and guitar player because of Paul Yandell.
rhudson

Postby Roger Pratt » Sat Jun 23, 2012 1:54 pm

Well, here I go even though I had resolved to never post on this board again because of venomous personal attacks made upon me by a couple of people on here, I will mention no names and leave it at that. I feel the overwhelming need to say my 2 cents worth in defense of my dear buddy Paul Yandell. I cannot add much to Richard's glowing comments because every word he said could be applied to my friendship with Paul. He was the best! Again I resolve to NEVER post on the Chetboard again and I will endeavor to do just that. RIP Paul old friend, I miss you.
Roger Pratt

Postby GaryL » Sat Jun 23, 2012 6:32 pm

Some very nice words about Paul in this thread! I met him two times. Once in New Hampshire and once in Connecticut when he was touring with Chet. He was very nice to me and said to hang around and Chet would come out - and Chet did, so I met Chet too. Paul gave me a few tips via email and I wish I would have saved the notes. One was that delay could kill your tone. He said that on the Chetboard too. And boy is that right.

Roger, I know you know Paul left the board a couple of times due to frustration with comments and so on. Boy, we missed him and begged him to come back. I wish you would do like Paul and come back. I enjoyed your posts. There will always be some posts and comments that rub us the wrong way. But without other folks posting stuff it really becomes a board with posts by very few and there are a few that think they know everything. Some folks only post to sell stuff . Come on back!

Richard,
Very nice.

Regards to all the readers that don't post.
Regards to all the posters.
GaryL
GaryL

Postby BillB » Sun Jun 24, 2012 10:43 am

Norm,
Here's the story I was talking about, and I wanted to share it with the rest of the folks on the board.

I was at CAAS for the first time in 2006. When I first saw Paul, he was in the Belmont room picking with Ray Cummins. When they got through playing, I introduced myself and he knew who I was immediately from the Chetboard and a few emails that we had exchanged. I met several people from the Chetboard including Craig and Julie Dobbins, and I also met Micah and Marie Yandell as well that week. They all made me feel very welcome whenever I was around Paul and Craig's tables.

One morning, a youngster came over to Paul's table. I'm not sure how old he was, but I'd say that he was probably no older than 12 years old. He walked up and said, "Are you Paul Yandell?", and Paul responded with, "Well, I'm what's left of him," which drew laughter from those of us that were within earshot. I'm not totally sure, but I think he got Paul to sign his nylon string guitar.

Then Paul asked him to play something for him, and the boy played a Jerry Reed song. Paul gave him a couple of picking tips on the song, and then he started looking the guitar over. He saw something that would make the guitar play better, probably with the nut. Anyhow, Paul took the boy and the guitar and went to see Kirk Sand to get the guitar set up a little better.

A little bit later, they came back and Paul grabbed his guitar. They went into the side room where some of the performers warm up, and Paul sat down with the boy and gave him a guitar lesson.

Later on, I told Paul how impressed I was with what he did to help the boy, and he mentioned how Chet had helped him out back when he first auditioned at the Grand Ol' Opry (the time that Chet let him use his guitar and amp). He also remarked at how when you ask the kids to play something for you, they don't get nervous. They just play, unlike many of us grown-ups who often get intimidated and nervous.

Anyway, I wanted to share this story as I witnessed it, because I saw Paul Yandell as someone who never forgot how people helped him along the path that helped him accomplish more than he ever expected. I think that young man probably still comes to CAAS, and someone may know who it was. I know it wasn't Craig Pratt, but he may know. Might have to research that one and see if I can find out who that young man (who would be 6 years older now) is.

Bill Bailey
BillB

Next

Return to Mister Guitar, Chet Atkins