Questions about Chet's Delvecchio

Discussion of history's greatest guitar player.

Questions about Chet's Delvecchio

Postby Dan Smith » Thu Sep 23, 2010 8:32 pm

I had two questions about Chet's Delvecchio for anyone who might know the answer. First, what was the width of the neck at the nut? Second, I know Chet used the silk and steel strings but I'm wondering if he used the wound third that comes standard in the Martin set?

Thanks in advance.
Dan
Dan Smith

Re: Questions about Chet's Delvecchio

Postby craigdobbins » Thu Sep 23, 2010 9:25 pm

Dan-

If I remember correctly, Paul McGill told me that he measured Chet's main DV (the short-scale one with the "V" soundholes) at around 1 7/8" at the nut. I think the longer scale one that Doyle Dykes gave him may have a slightly narrower neck, and also a regular nut, rather than a zero fret.

Chet used a wound third on the short scale (listen to the recordings from the 60's and 70's for this sound). On his later recordings (CD's from the late 80's and 90's) he was using the longer scale DV, with a plain G. (Check out the "All My Loving" in-studio B-roll video on YouTube, and you can see/hear the plain third.)

I don't know what brand of strings he used earlier, but I have a few sets of DV strings that D'Addario made up for Chet that I got from Paul McGill. They have plain steel 1st, 2nd, 3rd, a silk and steel 4th, and ball-end heavy classical strings for the 5th and 6th. They sound great on my DV.

Craig
craigdobbins

Postby Dan Smith » Fri Sep 24, 2010 3:09 pm

Craig,

Thanks for your response. Can you tell me the gages of the strings you got from Paul McGill? Is this a silk and steel set?

Thanks,
Dan
Dan Smith

Postby craigdobbins » Fri Sep 24, 2010 4:35 pm

Hi Dan-

They're not gauged, just custom sets in white envelopes numbered 1-6. As I said above, they're plain steel 1st, 2nd, 3rd, a silk and steel 4th, and ball-end heavy gauge classical strings for the 5th and 6th. Sort of a combination set, at Chet's request. The plains are something like maybe .011, .013, and .017.

Craig
craigdobbins

Postby Dan Smith » Sun Sep 26, 2010 12:15 pm

Craig,

Interesting that Chet had them use a silk and steel 4th string and regular classical strings for 5 and 6. Thanks again for the information.

Dan
Dan Smith

Postby craigdobbins » Sun Sep 26, 2010 12:48 pm

It gives the E and A strings a really deep, bassy sound.

Craig
craigdobbins

Return to Mister Guitar, Chet Atkins