A Session with Guy Van Duser

Discussion of history's greatest guitar player.

A Session with Guy Van Duser

Postby bill park » Thu Apr 12, 2012 2:06 pm

New cd from Guy is out. Anyone heard this yet? Mine's on order...

http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/guyvanduser
bill park

Re: A Session with Guy Van Duser

Postby craigdobbins » Thu Apr 12, 2012 2:12 pm

Bill-

Guy sent me a pre-release copy. It's great- he really nails the 50's Chet sound. This one's with a full band, recorded at Berklee, I believe.

Craig
craigdobbins

Postby Norm » Thu Apr 12, 2012 3:25 pm

He can be scary...

A couple years ago Russ Cochran posted Gary doing "Back In My Own Back Yard even using an Anita Kerr singers sounding group and it sounded like an outtake from Guitar Country. Made goosebumps
...that's how it looks to me...The opinion expressed above is my own and does not necessarily reflect the views of this station. Your mileage may vary...

Audio samples: http://www.youtube.com/user/acountrygent/videos
That should do it.
Norm

Postby Douglas » Thu Apr 12, 2012 8:46 pm

Downloaded it from iTunes before leaving the office tonite and I must say, the long commute home was most enjoyable. Great album, if not a bit eerie. There are places where your ears do a double take cause it sounds like Chet's approach to harmonies, single note improvs, arranging, and tone. The lead track, Dear Hearts and Gentle People, caused me to go back to those times when it was with excited anticipation that I'd place the needle on a brand new Chet Atkins album. Guy also shines and let's his own personality come out in tunes like Stella by Starlight, all the while maintaining a melodic taste and approach reminiscent of Chet. Again, a great album and a must have. Somewhere up in the great beyond there is no doubt that a certain Country Gentleman is smilin' and tappin' his toe as he listens to Guy's latest offering. Well done indeed!
Douglas

Postby emjaybee94 » Sun Apr 15, 2012 2:23 pm

I've only listened to the samples, but you're right Norm, he can be scary! At times I thought I was listened to Chet doing some more tracks on " A Session with Chet Atkins", but then, I guess Guy was doing it on purpose (it's all in the title). Appears to be a great CD and I shall be ordering my copy soon.

Regards
Mike
emjaybee94

Postby albertgen » Sun Apr 15, 2012 10:36 pm

Did Guy ever release that "Back in you own Backyard" recording? I think that is one of the best records I ever heard, and his playing is superb on it! Al
albertgen

Postby Norm » Mon Apr 16, 2012 1:12 am

I don't think so, Al, but then I don't follow Guy that closely.

The scary thing is this... There are a lot of guys who try to play Chet's arrangements. Some, of course, better than others. Some appear to play some of Chet (and Jerry's) tunes superfast. Why they do this escapes me but they do it anyway. Personally I don't think it improves the song but I digress...

The thing with the Van Duser rendition of 'Back Yard' is that he took a song Chet hadn't recorded it and arranged it in such a way that it sounded like he was copying a Chet arrangement. Apparently he used to do this kind of thing and send the results to Chet and confusing him since he couldn't remember having recorded it.

Back In My Own Backyard by VanDuser was brilliant forgery. Not copying...forgery... there is a difference...
...that's how it looks to me...The opinion expressed above is my own and does not necessarily reflect the views of this station. Your mileage may vary...

Audio samples: http://www.youtube.com/user/acountrygent/videos
That should do it.
Norm

Postby albertgen » Mon Apr 16, 2012 4:12 pm

Yes, I have seen guys do that, sometimes it makes me feel like I got buried alive when they are done. I can play some of Jerry's stuff but it is more complicated to me with all that cross picking. I try to play Chet's stuff mostly for my own entertainment. To me, it is fun trying to solve a puzzle. I think it is good for a guitar player to play a song all the way through, a lot of times I hear guitar players in music stores whip off some pretty impressive licks but no song, thats it. Learn a song all the way through by yourself, is a good lesson for any musician.
albertgen

Return to Mister Guitar, Chet Atkins