Photo of Chet with a Framus guitar

Discussion of history's greatest guitar player.

Photo of Chet with a Framus guitar

Postby bill raymond » Sat Mar 17, 2012 2:25 am

Chet_MMR_Feb1975.jpg
Here's a photo that most of you probably haven't seen; it's from the February 1975 issue of Musical Merchandise Review.
bill raymond

Re: Photo of Chet with a Framus guitar

Postby RonBloor » Sat Mar 17, 2012 6:18 am

Thanks Bill.. I never knew that Framus made a serious effort to get artists signed up in the U.S. .. Framus always seemed to be the "affordable" alternative when I was young. My Dad owned was a 12 string for a while, but it decided to become a "Voyage-Air" guitar one night.. IOWs a fold-up guitar. A friend also had one that lost it's headstock!
However, back to the picture.. I'm sure that Chet would have been supportive of anything that Jim was doing.. Did you notice how that article spelled Disk (not Disc)!! Perhaps that was common.
Ron Bloor
RonBloor

Postby Norm » Sat Mar 17, 2012 9:53 am

"Disk Jockey" was common AmerEnglish for the period and is accurate and proper.

I think "Disc" came along with the computer and CD industry. Dropping the K was a more efficient spelling.

That triggers my memory synapses and I remember when you could call the local DJ and request songs and they would play them. These would get logged according to BMI/ASCAP rules and charted. The listener actually had some input into musical popularity.

Now The Suits assign an iron clad playlist that purportedly tells us what we like to hear. (Or Else!)
...that's how it looks to me...The opinion expressed above is my own and does not necessarily reflect the views of this station. Your mileage may vary...

Audio samples: http://www.youtube.com/user/acountrygent/videos
That should do it.
Norm

Postby Norm » Sat Mar 17, 2012 9:57 am

We used to sell Framus in the store I worked at. Nice guitars, easy playing but the finish was delicate. It spiderwebbed like a windshield if it got hit with what would have just been a 'ding' on a laquered guitar. Their tone wasn't all that great compared to spruce topped guitars.
...that's how it looks to me...The opinion expressed above is my own and does not necessarily reflect the views of this station. Your mileage may vary...

That should do it.
Norm

Postby RonBloor » Sat Mar 17, 2012 12:06 pm

Norm wrote:"Disk Jockey" was common AmerEnglish for the period and is accurate and proper.

I think "Disc" came along with the computer and CD industry. Dropping the K was a more efficient spelling.

Thanks Norm.. I'm certainly old enough to have probably called them Disk Jockeys, but I can't remember. Spelling was never my forte :) Disc makes me think of the word "Discus". Now that takes me back to "track and field" .. Boy am I ever getting off track!! Just to get even further off, the word Mic... not Mik or Mike.. for Microphone.. another one of those words.. LOL.
Ron Bloor
RonBloor

Postby Norm » Sat Mar 17, 2012 12:50 pm

the word Mic... not Mik or Mike.. for Microphone.. another one of those words.. LOL...."

yup

That should do it.
Norm

Postby John Trahan » Sat Mar 17, 2012 11:55 pm

I was a radio DJ back in the mid to late 70's. We did some live LP/45 play but even then a lot of what we played was on reel to reel and semi-automated. I did a live Sat morn show with a guy who had a collection of LPs and 78s from the 40's and 50's. He did the talking and I cued and played the records. That was a lot of fun. Nowadays when I mention I was a DJ the young ones think I did the party thing instead of live radio. :)
John Trahan

Return to Mister Guitar, Chet Atkins