Wanting to impress my wife!

Discussion of history's greatest guitar player.

Re: Wanting to impress my wife!

Postby thenorm » Wed Sep 15, 2010 2:36 pm

Norm, my point is that she already likes what I like! I ..."

Tickets are bought and as others said, just GO.

Either way it'll be a good story. She'll either treat it as a turnaround experience or a "toldja"

Go... enjoy what he does and have done with it.
thenorm

Postby TCONNER » Wed Sep 15, 2010 2:58 pm

I have not seen TE play a concert for a few years but at CAAS he always blows one's mind and inspires for the next year. The last time I saw him do a "road concert" his playing and choice of music ,etc were just great. I don't think the man ever has a "bad" nite. Look on youtube to see him in some live situations where he has been filmed. Tom Conner
TCONNER

Postby cgprnd » Wed Sep 15, 2010 3:14 pm

Hi Tom,

I don't mean to belabor this point but it seems that my concerns weren't totally understood. Yes, I'm fine with just following Norm's advice and going and not worrying about anything, but the specifics that have been offered to put my mind at ease don't seem applicable.

I've seen many many of Tommy E.'s YouTube videos. These illustrate what he is capable of but say nothing about his choice of program flow. That's all I was concerned about. If, for entertainment purposes, he has someone come up on stage and sing while he strums chords or he brings a harmonica player on stage and strums chords as backup, or uses a lot of electronic gimmicks that entertain the crowd, none of that can be discerned by watching YouTube videos. I saw no videos preparing me for the last part of that PBS special. So it's a gamble that I'm willing to take.

I started this thread just to get a feeling for what to expect and had hoped that others here may have watched that PBS special and would say something like "Oh don't worry, Tommy will be NOTHING like that!".......lol. I can only hope that he won't. It's no big deal and I expected maybe 1 or 2 responses and now we're on the second page.

Rande
Rande Dager
cgprnd

Postby thenorm » Wed Sep 15, 2010 5:16 pm

He's not a waste of time, not by a long shot. He talks some, little Chet stories and other patter you expect from an entertainer who plays guitar. He plays his own arrangement of Chet's songs and quite well, too.

Sometimes he sets up the song to get people thinking along the same line. Extremely likeable guy. Not one for fancy gadgets or effects (a lot) to sell his abilities. I believe he uses a beat up Maton for the show. Trying to create his own "Trigger" a'la Willie Nelson

He's one of a kind. A camera or video cannot do him (or any other entertainer) justice.

If your wife doesnt' like the show she can stay home for the next one or go to a movie with a girlfriend next time.
thenorm

Postby George Beasley » Wed Sep 15, 2010 6:36 pm

I've seen him play quite a few times, and have thoroughly enjoyed every time. I actually liked "Initiation" when I've seen him play it.....but I wouldn't complain if he didn't play it again when I see him next....I've never cared for drum solos that much.

He is playing on Sat and Sun in Chicago, with Frank Vignola, and I am very tempted to drive up from Peoria to see him
Thanks,
George
George Beasley

Postby GlenHines » Wed Sep 15, 2010 8:40 pm

Rande -
I saw Tommy Emmanuel in concert about two weeks before CAAS. And although he had an opening act, once he came on it was all Tommy. The flow of the show is great. The music is great - and the entertainment is terrific. My wife went with me and I think she possibly enjoyed it more than I did. We then saw him at CAAS and it was some of his show, and some different material. I don't think either of you will be disappointed.
Glen
Glen Hines
GlenHines

Postby David Elliott » Wed Sep 15, 2010 9:04 pm

"Wanting to impress my wife!"...

Rande...buy her a new Mercedes, a three caret diamond ring, and take her to the French Riviera! :lol:

David
David Elliott

Postby tyguy » Wed Sep 15, 2010 9:13 pm

kentwkistler wrote:Stop fretting and worrying, and just GO! If this whole thing is primarily to impress your wife, you are in a 50/50 situation anyway. SHE should not be the reason for your attendance; it is to see and hear Tommy. I would love to have such as "drastic" event in the offing, as I am sure I will never have the chance to see T.E. Good luck. K E N T

Tommy is here in Knoxville(Tn.)occasionally at Broadway Sound.Tommy and Lynn Clapp(the owner)are good pals and they performed together recently.Chet's CGP marked parking space is still there at the store.The Broadway Sound people are wonderful and knowledgeable folks. The Best, Ty M.
tyguy

Postby George Beasley » Wed Sep 15, 2010 10:58 pm

tyguy wrote:Tommy is here in Knoxville(Tn.)occasionally at Broadway Sound.Tommy and Lynn Clapp(the owner)are good pals and they performed together recently.Chet's CGP marked parking space is still there at the store.The Broadway Sound people are wonderful and knowledgeable folks. The Best, Ty M.

Lynn and Frank Vignola recorded an album together in the last year. Frank wasn't able to make it to the CAAS convention this year, so Tommy sat in with him, and they had a blast. It is always so much better when you can tell that the performers are really having a good time. Lynn is a fantastic rhythm player..I could stand and watch him play for hours.
Thanks,
George
George Beasley

Postby thenorm » Wed Sep 15, 2010 11:55 pm

Looking at this thread there is something that gives me pause. It's the title of it:

"Wanting to impress my wife".

That phrase speaks volumes.
thenorm

PreviousNext

Return to Mister Guitar, Chet Atkins