CAAS membership from UK

Discussion of history's greatest guitar player.

CAAS membership from UK

Postby Jake Rigby » Tue Mar 13, 2012 12:10 pm

Hi,

Anyone know the best way to pay for membership form the UK? I'd like to go to CAAS this year so I want to get membership sorted ASAP so I can book my flights soon (before they get even more expensive!)

Also, how to I register for CAAS once I'm a member?

Thanks!
Jake
Jake Rigby

Re: CAAS membership from UK

Postby Ray Bohlken » Tue Mar 13, 2012 12:53 pm

Hi Jake,
Here is a link to the C.A.A.S. website which has info on joining, registration, and how to contact the president, Mark Pritcher if you have questions.
Ray

http://www.chetsociety.com/membership.html
Ray Bohlken

Postby RonBloor » Tue Mar 13, 2012 1:18 pm

Further to what Ray has told you... from my experience... such as it is.. The contact for joining the Chetsociety and CAAS registration is Carol Pritcher (Mark's wife). At least it always seems to be Carol that answers the phone and emails. Their email is on the contact tab of the site Ray posted.
However, You need not worry about being accepted when you arrive for the convention. You can pay for both your membership and registration at the registration desk on the first morning of CAAS. The benefit of pre-registration is that you get a discount, but it is not very much (I think $20).. The big advantage of pre-registration is that it helps in the administration, because they can get your package ready ahead of time. Oh.. you also can get through the registration lineup quicker :)
If you are going to stay at the convention hotel (Sheraton Music City).. You should book your room now. Make sure you mention that you want the special CAAS attendee rate. I'm not sure how many rooms have been allocated for CAAS attendees, so that might be the most important thing to get out of the way early.
If you are planning on staying at a nearby hotel.. there are lots of them, so you need not worry about getting a place.
Ron Bloor
RonBloor

Postby Jake Rigby » Tue Mar 13, 2012 2:15 pm

Thanks very much guys! Unfortunately I don't think I can afford to stay at the hotel (I am but a poor university student :cry: ) but I don't mind staying in a youth hostel or cheap hotel.

The trip will probably cost me an arm and a leg but I'm sure it will be worth it!
Jake Rigby

Postby RonBloor » Tue Mar 13, 2012 4:54 pm

Jake Rigby wrote:Thanks very much guys! Unfortunately I don't think I can afford to stay at the hotel (I am but a poor university student :cry: ) but I don't mind staying in a youth hostel or cheap hotel.

The trip will probably cost me an arm and a leg but I'm sure it will be worth it!

The least expensive hotel, is also the closest to the Sheraton where CAAS is held :) It's the Homestead Studio Suites at 727 McGavock Pike. It goes for about $50 a night.. + taxes. If you do reserve a room and can't make it.. Just cancel before 6pm on the day of arrival.. No charge :) .. Good Luck..
Ron Bloor
RonBloor

Postby Jake Rigby » Wed Mar 14, 2012 12:24 pm

RonBloor wrote:
Jake Rigby wrote:Thanks very much guys! Unfortunately I don't think I can afford to stay at the hotel (I am but a poor university student :cry: ) but I don't mind staying in a youth hostel or cheap hotel.

The least expensive hotel, is also the closest to the Sheraton where CAAS is held :) It's the Homestead Studio Suites at 727 McGavock Pike. It goes for about $50 a night.. + taxes. If you do reserve a room and can't make it.. Just cancel before 6pm on the day of arrival.. No charge :) .. Good Luck..

Great - thanks!
Jake Rigby

Postby bill_h » Wed Mar 14, 2012 9:21 pm

Jake, one word of caution if I may; if you're not able to stay at the Sheraton you'll have to walk a pretty good distance. The nearest hotel I know of to the Sheraton is the Alexis Inn and Suites and I estimate it's a quarter mile or so away. Public transportation in that area is non-existent and you'll be walking on the side of the road with no sidewalk. That area is not pedestrian friendly at all. I'm not sure where the Homestead is that Ron mentioned but I doubt that it could be much closer.

Hope it don't look like I'm trying to talk you out of going because I'm not. Just wanted to give you an honest picture of the conditions you'll be dealing with. Even though I feel the program is not as strong as when I first started attending in 02, it's still the best gathering of its' kind that I know of except maybe for Kamp Kaufman. Hope everything works out so you do get to attend! You'll have a great time if you do.
bill_h

Return to Mister Guitar, Chet Atkins