Ray Cummins Story

Discussion of history's greatest guitar player.

Ray Cummins Story

Postby Ray Cummins » Mon Aug 16, 2010 9:09 pm

I remember my first gig. I lived at home. $200 a week 6 nights a week. A small really nice place. No dance floor. Drums bass and me. I was so excited. Every morning when I woke up I couldn't believe I was going back that night and play again. I would play 5 or 6 instrumentals a set. On break we would go in the back room and discuss what songs I could get thru. I did not have much experience in backing singers.
Then having to take a lead break in each song. 5 hours 6 nights a week and on Sunday nights going to jam sessions as a group I was learning fast. I played my Gretsch CG thru my Fender Twin and my echoplex.
I played China Town, Levee Walking, Snowbird and many others. I had only been playing a few years and having Chet fever you can imagine how much fun I was having. This was before videos, tab etc.
I knew no one that played this style except for Chet. I would sit for hours with the record player.
But when I was 5 and 6 I started taking accordion lessons. Thanks to mom and dad, they later got me a 120 bass which was a lot of money in those days. I used to play recitals and play some pretty difficult pieces. In between I played piano some. But eventually got on the trumpet and loved playing Al Hirt songs. Played those by ear. Then started studying trumpet at Cincinnati College Conservatory of music.
The Summer after the tenth grade I was sick in bed for 3 months. No trumpet. I was heartbroken.
I was set on being a trumpet player like Al.

My dad came in with a Harmony F-hole and a Chet LP while I was sick. That is how Chet and guitar playing came into my life.
Back to the first gig. That went on for 6 months. During that 6 months I was teaching RCA recording artist Kenny Price's son. Kenny lived in Florence, KY where I lived. I had met Kenny before and he heard me play. My playing job at the nice place ended after 100 nights there. Then we went to a dive for $20 a night.
I'm glad that wasn't my first gig, because I would not have had as much fun.
Kenny's son changed his lesson to another night. I always went to his house but Kenny was never there.
I went over on Friday night and there was Kenny sitting in the kitchen. I walked in and he said, Play me some Reed!!!! I played some of the Claw and I had worked some on Swarmin'. And When you wish upon a star. Of course plenty play these now but not back then. He asked if I wanted to go on the road and I said, When? He said tomorrow morning. I called my group and they got someone else and I stayed up all night trying to learn his songs.
We left Sat morning in Kenny's new Lincoln Continental. I dug that. We went to Chicago to play a really nice club.
I was scared and Kenny had me playing Malaguena and everything. Sweat dripping off me. I remember signing autographs and signing ladies arms. Crazy..
Sunday we drove 500 miles to Erie, PA to start a 23 day tour with Ernest Tubb, Cal Smith, Joe and Rose Lee Maphis and Bobby Lewis.
We did 3 shows thast night. I walked out with Kenny and Tubbs great band backed Kenny along with me. I was very shy and a pretty girl came back stage and held my guitar between shows. I'm lovin this.
After the show Kenny is in the car getting ready to drive and I'm back by the bumper. The girl kissed me bye and I was hooked. Show biz is for me. Ha.
One more thing. Some restaurant owner opened his restaurant just for he tour stars.
He brought out an easy playing acoustic and Kenny had me play an hour up close for everyone, ET and the others. I still remember starting out with Poor People of Paris.
I was thinking, O boy, 22 more days of this. We only drove about 85 miles a day. Up thru NY to CT.
I know this was boring but for me 19 or 20 years old getting out of bed Fri morning not knowing that Monday might I would play 3 shows to thousands and then afterward play a upclose concert for the Stars was a big thrill for a kid playing a dive a few nights before.
Ray Cummins

Re: Ray Cummins Story

Postby keener » Mon Aug 16, 2010 9:23 pm

Fascinating history, Ray. I sure do appreciate you sharing this. I started picking Chet Style in the late 60's when I was in my teens, and have loved it ever since. Like you said, I remember well that back then there were only a handful of Chet and Jerry pickers, and finding someone to pick with (other than my Dad) was a challenge. I did manage to pick with Chet's nephew, Jimmy Atkins, occasionally and took a few lessons from him.

Anyway, glad you made a career of it. I chose to go into engineering, instead. But the love of Chet's playing has never left me.
keener

Postby Tompicks » Mon Aug 16, 2010 9:47 pm

What a great story Ray, those are incredible memories.
Tom Redmond
Tompicks

Postby Gary Smith » Mon Aug 16, 2010 11:26 pm

Great story, Ray. I love hearing how people got started in music. Sounds like you have had a very good career, so just keep on doing it, I sure love to hear your picking on Youtube.
Gary Smith

Postby rhirvine » Tue Aug 17, 2010 12:52 am

Thanks Ray. I really appreciated that. I practiced a lot at a young age but knew by the age of 21 that i didn't "have it" but you did. I only hope that you have made a decent living playing the music you so obviously love. I hope to hear you perform someday out here in southern CA since i don't plan to leave here ever. I have some of your albums and you are a true treasure to the legacy of Chet Atkins and even more.
rhirvine

Postby Fretstring » Tue Aug 17, 2010 5:37 am

Seeing and hearing you on you tube, the lucky ones were in the audience. You were probably better back then than you even realized. Keep it up - keep us happy!
Fretstring

Postby cgprnd » Tue Aug 17, 2010 11:16 am

Ray, that was a very interesting account of details that I've never seen you post or tell about. I actually knew that I "had it" at a very young age but was discouraged by my parents and told that I was wasting time and wouldn't be living
responsibly if I chose to follow my music dreams. Unlike for Bruce Keener, I had no musicians in my family and had to do
all of my practicing away from everyone, in my bedroom. Knowing that I was disappointing my folks to be so enamored with music continues to effect my performances to this day. Because of all of this, it's difficult for me to "put myself out there" but it's also a thrill whenever I find someone who is interested.

I always enjoy your accuracy and precision when you play, Ray. That, along with nice harmonies in my arrangements, is always my goal.

Rande
Rande Dager
cgprnd

Postby GlenHines » Tue Aug 17, 2010 1:07 pm

Great story, Ray. It reminds me of my first encounter with you. I think this might have been before you started touring with Kenny Price. Our mutual friend Harry Sparrow and his band were taking the weekend off at the Drawbridge restaurant in Fort Mitchell, Kentucky. Harry said they got some guy that played Chet style to fill in, but need a bass player and he wanted to know if I'd be interested since I had played bass backing Harry previously. I said I would, and Harry said the Chet guy was a little strange (ha!) but really good - and that he wore a glove on his right hand to protect his fingernails, which Harry thought was odd. I used Harry's bass - belly strap and all and knew most of the stuff you played, but for the ones I didn't, you called out the chords while you were playing. I couldn't believe what a great player you were back then - plus you were playing a Gretsch Super Chet - the first one I had ever seen close up.

Jump forward 30 years. Through the ChetBoard, I reconnected with an old picking buddy from when I lived in Kentucky, and arranged to meet him so we could pick some while I was up there. He said he would invite his friend over - turned out his friend was Ray Cummins! I wasn't sure if you were the same guy (you had a different hair style) until you started calling out chords while I was trying to play along on one of your songs - just like you did that night at the Drawbridge. And after watching and listening to you play, it made me understand what Jerry Reed said about playing in front of Chet - that his hands were shaking so bad he could have threaded a sewing machine while it was running. That was a great surprise to reconnect with you at Don's house, and we're still having fun.
Glen Hines
GlenHines

Postby albertgen » Thu Aug 19, 2010 4:03 pm

Great story Ray! And very interesting! Al
albertgen

Postby Billy Anderson » Mon Aug 23, 2010 6:29 am

Ray,

You must be the one who stole my life. Great story from a great player.

Billy
Billy Anderson

Next

Return to Mister Guitar, Chet Atkins