Off topic-Roy Lanham on youtube....source ?

Discussion of history's greatest guitar player.

Off topic-Roy Lanham on youtube....source ?

Postby Larry Lenhart » Fri Feb 03, 2012 10:28 pm

Roy Lanham has long been one of my fav guitarist....his chord melody playing and sound out of that Fender jazzmaster amazes me still...he was one of the best imho.....i found several clips of him on youtube, but my internet connection is not good enough to watch it continuously...keeps freezing. Does anyone know where the source of these clips could be purchased ? I would love to have them on dvd (or vhs,,,i could convert them) thanks for any help and sorry about being off topic....one description mentions that he talked about Chet and several others in a video. Thanks in advance for any help.
Larry Lenhart

Re: Off topic-Roy Lanham on youtube....source ?

Postby Larry Lenhart » Fri Feb 03, 2012 11:49 pm

Just to add to my post,,,I have the Roy two record cd of his, but there is another one entitled The Most Exciting Guitar of Roy Lanham...wow what a list of tunes...i would love to have it, but its 150 bucks and shipping from Japan. I had never run across that one....the first record i purchased of roys was back in 1966 at a Western Auto store and was just amazed at it...Brazil and We'll Be Together Again were 2 of my favs on that record. Its a long shot, but does anyone have that out of print record of his...The Most Exciting Guitar...and would be willing to copy it cd for me. Thanks in advane and again sorry for the off topic....he did record on a record with Chet....one of his early ones.
Larry Lenhart

Postby Vidar Lund » Sat Feb 04, 2012 1:14 pm

From Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/Roy-Lanham/e/B000 ... r=8-13-ent

Including Sizzling Strings / The Fabulous Guitar and Hard Life Blues plus MP3 songs.
Vidar Lund

Postby Larry Lenhart » Sat Feb 04, 2012 5:40 pm

Yes I have that cd, and actually the original vinyl...this is not the one I am talking about. The one I am looking for is called "the Most exciting guitar".
Larry Lenhart

Postby Larry Lenhart » Sun Feb 05, 2012 12:34 pm

There is an interesting interview of Roy Lanham on youtube where he talks about his guitar playing and his association with Chet Atkins...someone from the CAAS was the cameraman on the interview (sorry I didnt catch his name) so I am sure this has been pointed out before on the forum, but if not it is an interesting interview. If anyone has any idea where I might be able to get a copy of "The Most Exciting Guitar", let me know. Lee Walt of Guitar Records is looking into for it me. So really this isnt as far off topic as I had originally thought !

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TCbykFXcEPE
Larry Lenhart

Postby Jussi Huhtakangas » Wed Feb 08, 2012 9:11 am

Larry, I have The Most Exciting Guitar and it really is worth getting, a great record. The only and best source in addition to vintage record stores is of course ebay. Years ago my friend Jim Hilmar who writes for VG mag gave me a cd of rare Whips recordings, mostly same cuts which were later released on Hard Life Blues cd, but there is additional stuff too. The cd was a private release by Gene Monbeck's family, intended as a gift to Gene's friends and family, some rare and interesting photos in the booklet too. All in all, a very nice and interesting cd.
The two Youtube videos from the Ozark show ( Lover Come Back & Kerry Dance ) originate from my pal here in Helsinki. We ordered a lot of VHS tapes from England years ago from a guy who's name I've forgotten. He had tons of stuff, all the Chet stuff from Gannaway shows, his early 60's Norway show, Merle Travis, Ranch Party shows etc, and of course those Ozark shows with Roy.
Another interesting album with Roy on guitar is Speedy West's last Capitol album Guitar Spectacular. That one shouldn't be too hard to get.
Good luck with record hunting! :)
Jussi Huhtakangas

Return to Mister Guitar, Chet Atkins