Chet exhibit at the CMHOF -- heaps of praise, one concern

Discussion of history's greatest guitar player.

Re: Chet exhibit at the CMHOF -- heaps of praise, one concer

Postby Norm » Wed Feb 01, 2012 1:12 pm

I think we're all pretty much in agreement there but I think Paul meant more to guitar players than to record buyers that don't play guitar. I think it's safe to say that Chet's record sales were most lucrative from 1955 to 1970. Paul was on some of Chet's records as a studio musician but the deep association didn't start until 1975, just prior to Chet leaving Gretsch. If the exhibit had been designed to appeal primarily to guitar players I'm sure it would have been of more topical interest to us. It is, however, focused on Chet and aimed at the general public.

The museum oriented people at CMHOF obviously had more control over context than the Gretsch people did. I'm surprised, too. You'd think Fred Gretsch would have used the opportunity to let the world know about Paul contacting him directly to reissue those two iconic instruments and pitch them to the guitar buying public. Nowadays "planners" use "flow charts" and the whole exhibit is no doubt set up like a huge magazine article. A very edited magazine article.

Bottom line is that in the planning boardroom the Suits designed the exhibit in what they thought would be of more interest to the total record buying public. Gretsch sponsored it but museum types had ultimate control and I don't think many of them play finger style or own certain guitars.

I think we've about beat the "Shoulda_Coulda_Woulda" horse to death on this. But that's just me...
...that's how it looks to me...The opinion expressed above is my own and does not necessarily reflect the views of this station. Your mileage may vary...

Audio samples: http://www.youtube.com/user/acountrygent/videos
That should do it.
Norm

Postby RandeDager » Wed Feb 01, 2012 2:52 pm

Norm, that is a very sensible perspective. WE all followed Chet closely enough to have seen Paul many times. Not so
for the general public, including the "museum types".
Rande
RandeDager

Postby bill_h » Wed Feb 01, 2012 2:59 pm

Thanks for your input Norm. Looks like I may have put my foot in my mouth on my post. If Chet handed Liona a CGP pin and told her she could sign herself off as a CGP, then she is one. One thing I am curious about though is how that extra CGP pin came to be.
bill_h

Postby Norm » Wed Feb 01, 2012 3:33 pm

by bill_h » Wed Feb 01, 2012 11:59 am

Thanks for your input Norm. Looks like I may have put my foot in my mouth on my post.

No, no, please don't feel that way...

The true CGP recipients are the ones who got the full ceremony. This is what Paul said and Miss Leona implied.

I think, if Chet were still alive, he would say anyone could call themselves a cgp. But only a handful got the actual CGP award. It's kinda like an Oscar. Many get nominated, few get awarded.

I tried to find the Liona Boyd/Chet clip but could not. In any case, Liona Boyd got a pin but she did not get a certificate.
...that's how it looks to me...The opinion expressed above is my own and does not necessarily reflect the views of this station. Your mileage may vary...

That should do it.
Norm

Postby Ray Bohlken » Wed Feb 01, 2012 3:42 pm

bill_h wrote: One thing I am curious about though is how that extra CGP pin came to be.

I have a CGP pin and I'm not sure if I bought it thru the mail from Chet's office or if they gave it to us at one of the C.A.A.S. conventions. I am in my dotage as far as memory goes, but I'm sure I would have remembered if Chet gave me one - at least I think I'm sure. :D
Ray
Ray Bohlken

Postby Norm » Wed Feb 01, 2012 3:46 pm

This is from my archive. Paul's words are in boldface type

I transcribe the conversation from that clip. Chet and Liona Boyd are sitting on chairs facing each other. The tone was conversational as opposed to being a 'production'. Frankly I think Chet was schmoozing Liona a little bit. She was a pretty lady as well as a good guitarist.

Chet: “I just had a new album out called Chet Atkins, CGP.”
Liona: (pointing to a button he is wearing) “I saw that on your braces”.(suspenders)
Chet:” That's my CGP. I always wanted a PhD. I never could get it 'cause I dropped out, so I gave myself... “
Liona: (inaudible...something about honorary doctorates)
Chet:” I gave myself an honorary doctorate. It's a Certified Guitar Player. I guess it's more like a CPA. But I figured as long as I've been playin', and tryin' to get it right, that I should be certified by now. So I gave myself a degree.
I'll give you one if you'd like it. I'll give you this pin. (He removes pin and hands it to her.)And you can pin it on your sweater there. “
Liona: “Thank you.” (Rest is inaudible).
Chet “And...you can sign your name. When you sign autographs you can sign Liona Boyd, CGP. “
Liona: (pointing to the letters on the button) “Chet, the Great Player.”

Ed note{ Paul really didn’t care to address this when it first got posted because, as he put it, “we have talked this subject to death folks.” However, only with the four men mentioned was the award a full presentation complete with written testimonial and ‘trophy’ object.

Re: the pin Paul said this: “Mark Pritchard one year before the CAAS made up a bunch of CGP pins… I use to have a handful… and he gave them out when people checked in. Chet carried some around in his pocket. I guess you could say everybody who got a pin is one.”

Sometimes people talk about ‘carrying on the CGP awards’ but Chet's wife Leona told me she didn't want anymore CGP awards given out because that whole CGP concept was something that Chet had done and it was his award to give and no one else’s. He gave four CGP’s to four of his friends. Had he lived I'm sure there would have been more.

That should do it.
Norm

Postby bill_h » Wed Feb 01, 2012 4:30 pm

Thanks again Norm! I searched for the video too and didn't find it. Thanks for the transcription and for the excerpt from your Paul Yandell archives. After reading Paul's words it's no wonder Merle capped the CGP award when she made Paul the last one.

As far as me putting my foot in my mouth, if I didn't do it on this thread it's not a matter of if but when I really do :lol:

bill_h - m.g.p. ( Mediocre Guitar Player )
bill_h

Postby Norm » Sun Apr 01, 2012 10:34 am

Thought I'd add this as a closure to the conterversy about Paul not being heavily featured in the HOF exhibit

The topic came up on gretschpages about why Paul Yandell wasn't featured prominently in the current HOF exhibit.

Paul was still living when they planned and executed this exhibit and I have no doubt he insisted that he not be included in the exhibit. He was Chet's second and his life was dedicated to supporting Chet and not distracting attention from Chet. I can see him getting pretty pushy about having it his way.

I think that's what happened and I think they're respecting his wishes...

That should do it.
Norm

Postby EddieP » Sun Apr 01, 2012 11:06 am

I'm not for certain here as to why he's not mentioned in the exhibit, but Paul helped in planning that exhibit and was very proud of it, and knowing Paul like I did I expect he was the one that left Paul out because he would have wanted it to be all about Chet. I know the folks at the HOF are very nice and they loved Paul and would not have omitted him, so my thought are that Paul was like he had always was and that was to keep the spotlight focused on Chet. He just would never let you brag on him or say anything that he thought was taking away from Chet, and that's part of what that made him Paul. Eddie P.
EddieP

Postby John Rich » Thu Apr 05, 2012 4:57 pm

Chet Atkins in the Hall of Fame...without his 'main' onstage picking partner of 25 years Paul Yandell... takes it down to the level of Hall of Shame. Shame on you people there with all the excuses we'd expect to find in politics ... to have anything to applaud Chet about...without Paul. Chet was a great innovator and producer of some of our greatest country stars... but... he's best known... as our Icon great guitarist. If you'd taken his guitar from him... all he'd be known for is a great producer... and Paul Yandell would have probably been a star all his own playing his music ...but he did elect to share his stage for a quarter century with the great guitarist Chet Atkins... who also elected to share his quarter century with Paul Yandell. Thats who Chet Atkins was... Paul Yandells partner in music ... and I've heard all the stories but... Paul should have been the very first recipient of the CGP. All the others as great as they are... should not have replaced Paul Yandell... and I for one think the Hall of Fame should right their wrong...admit they don't have it right... and do it better next time we have the occasion to walk into those hallowed halls. Just saying... they're wrong !!!!
John Rich

PreviousNext

Return to Mister Guitar, Chet Atkins