Thumbpick, fingers, Chet-style Habitus

Discussion of history's greatest guitar player.

Re: Thumbpick, fingers, Chet-style Habitus

Postby Mike Nye » Sat Jan 28, 2012 2:32 pm

First of all Jack, I said NOTHING that should get yer dander up . . .

Case in point . . . My Bluetooth headset had lost it's connection while I was walking a few weeks ago. When the Bluetooth connections drops, it defaults to the phone's speaker.

A punk rocker lookin' kid, probably in his late 20s approached me asking: "What band is that? -they're TIGHT!!!"

I'd told him that was Chet Atkins!!!

He doodled with his iPhone for a few seconds, and BAM!!! he had Chet on his iTunes; he said FAR OUT -Thanks Man, and was on his way . . . THAT SIMPLE ! ! !

And I'll bet he'd NEVER heard of Les Paul, other than the guitar, and Mary Ford probably wouldn't have computed at all either . . .

Mike
If BRUTE-FORCE isn't working, you're not using enough ! ! !
Mike Nye

Postby Mike Nye » Sat Jan 28, 2012 3:01 pm

Well Jack . . .

Sorry, Got my mords wixed up . . .

Chet Atkins' style of playing is a unique form that caught my ear when I was a kid, and I've been hooked ever since . . .

Look at da Steamin' Pile 'O Crap that music (if ya wanna call it that) has turned into these days.

I remember as a kid, older people thought The Beatles were COMMIES out to corrupt us youths at the time. My Grand mother LUVED 'EM ! ! ! She'd said: "They're havin' FUN, makin' a livin' ! ! !

I'm just glad she didn't live to see what's referred to as 'talent' today, cuz she probably woulda pulled an 'Elvis' on da TV ! ! !

WHO KNOWS, maybe someday after we're all dead 'n gone, they'll be studying Chet at Juilliard ? ? ?

Mike
Mike Nye

Postby Mike Nye » Sat Jan 28, 2012 4:14 pm

Jack Baker wrote:Jack p.s. even NYU and other music depts. are having problems with young music student's attention spans....

BOY . . . You said a mouthful there . . .

I dunno how it's at where you guys are, but here in So. Calif. you can't walk FIVE FEET without bumpin' into a kid, cuz they're NOT payin' attention to where they're walking while TEXTING on their cell phone. They can be sittin' NEXT to each other and they're TEXTING.

I PITY these poor kids when they interview for jobs, as MANY of 'em have the SOCIAL & CONVERSATIONAL SKILLS of a BUCKET 'O WORMS ! ! !
Mike Nye

Postby texasdw » Sat Jan 28, 2012 9:57 pm

Yikes!!! :o

The Chet tabs have been deleted!!!! Jack, do you have a compilation of these things? If I'd have known sooner I'd have started downloading these, but now they're gone! I'd be happy to pay for a compilation....

Thanks,
Dwayne Wolf
texasdw

Postby texasdw » Sat Jan 28, 2012 10:32 pm

Darn my luck...I only discovered the Chetboard about a month ago, and your site thereafter. It was a real treasure-trove...for the few weeks I was able to access :cry:

Thanks,
DW
texasdw

Postby alexjones » Sun Jan 29, 2012 3:30 am

Jack,
I am also sad to see your Chet site go. I know when I first started playing Chet's music - I used your site to get an idea of how the arrangements were put together. So I thank you for having that reference available.

I also completely understand what your saying about the younger generation not playing Chet's music. To me it's a darn shame. Listening to the country station lately usually just starts to make me flustered. Not to say there isn't any good country music - but it's scarce. It's getting to be too much rock and roll guitar and TOO much getting drunk songs!

I also want to point out that I am 25 years old. I follow this board everyday. I listen to and play Chet's music every day. I have an apartment full of Chet's records, guitars, amps and speakers. From what I have seen on videos and read in books - Chet was the real deal. Chet, even though he is gone, will always be my inspiration in life.

I know I'm the minority and my generation is definitely interested in other genres of music. But I can assure you that any one of my friends knows exactly who Chet is and some pieces he played. I also know that I found my niche in guitar playing and I am looking forward to a lifetime of fumbling through Chet's arrangements.
Alex
alexjones

Postby captainvideo » Sun Jan 29, 2012 12:55 pm

It's good to know others on the board may have your tabs Jack. I've got more than enough to keep me busy for awhile but as a "new comer" it's sad to hear someone talk about pulling their Chet related information off the internet because they feel no one under 50 is into him.

I just turned 30 last week and a majority of my influences are from the original rockabilly era so not quite as old as Chet but not spring chickens by what is considered popular music today.

There is a small rockabilly subculture of musicians aged early 20 -late 40s who are very into the older travis style picking. Unfortunately as I said it's a small subculture. I wish I had come around here earlier when Paul was posting. After looking through the archives it appears that he brought a lot of information here and although I missed it first time around I really appreciate when Norm interjects Paul's information into current topics. There is a younger base out here. Maybe not large in numbers, but eager to hear all that you've learned about Chet the man and Chet the musician.
captainvideo

Previous

Return to Mister Guitar, Chet Atkins